Slot 2 is always hardware reserved

richierich3366

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Hello,
Ive read a bunch of posts but it sems like i have a unique problem with the "hardware reserved memory problem..now bare with me because i dont know a lot of the technical stuff but...i have a toshiba l655d s5050 laptop with AMD athlon II. It has wondows 7 64 bit..it originally came with 3gb of ram and when i would check the ram usage in resource monitor it would show only 961mb of usable memory..the rest was hardware reserved. so them i decided to buy more of the same ram which is DDR3 so-dimm 204 pin 1066mhz pc3 8500 ram..i ended uo buying a g. skill 4gb mem stick..i put it into the slow where the 2gb stick was and moved to the 2gb stick to where the one GB stick was and then i have 4GB hardware reserved...after playing around with the memory sticks for a couple minutes..turning the computer on and off i realuized that whichever stick was in the second slot was hardware reserved...the computer is working fine now because i have the 4gb in the "good slot" and i have the 1gb stick in the "hardware reserved slot" and the 2gb stick is just sitting on my desk because i find it pointless to have it in the computer if it is going to do nothing...i am going to sell it if i cant find a way to get this other slot to not make the memory hardware reserved but i saw that i lot of people had similar problems and got it fixed.
i dont have the memory remapping feature in my BIOS. Ive already played with the max memory box in msconfig. Ive already updated my BIOS. I read..and was told by numerous people that my setup should support a total of 8gb of memory...I would like to utilize my other memory slot so PLEASE..any other help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!
I have not had any problems with the memory being incompatible...no BOOT problems...just cant use the memory in the second slot...regardless what memory stick is used it comes up at HARDWARE RESERVED.

richierich3366

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
i have:
Toshiba satellite L655D-S5050
windows 7 home premium 64 bit (6.1, build 7600)
BIOS: InsydeH20 version 1.70
AMD athlon II P320 dual core processor 2.1 GHz

richierich3366

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010