GA-890FXA-UD7 + Ram(1600 4x4Gb, or other) Require guidance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glitch_Recursion

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
im building a gaming setup with this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128442 I'm trying to decide what ram to put in Ive over-clocked ram before but not on a system that says it specifically supports it this board says it can OC two sticks to 1866 does that mean it can separately manage the other two at 1333 or does it mean i can only run 8gb at 1866 or 16gb at 1333?

sorry about spelling and grammar really bad at that stuff.

Solution
If you have matching sets of two sticks, the motherboard will autodetect it and their settings.
-- If it detects the wrong settings, you can change the BIOS setting to match the settings shown on the RAM stickers.
-- You may still have to increase the voltage on the northbridge (or its equivalent) by one or two increments from the default setting because of the increased load from having all RAM slots populated.

I strongly suggest you check out the RAM section of the manual - sometimes the manufacturer will specifically say if it cannot OC RAM with all the slots populated.

Faster RAM benchmarks better than slower RAM, so it may make a difference. I've OCed RAM on both the systems in my More Information and played games on both at...

glitch_Recursion

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
so is it OK for me to put 4x4gb at 1600 then? will it auto detect that or would i have to manually set it in the bios? or i suppose the real question is how much faster is 1866 than 1333 and is it necessary for gaming or is it only useful for running statistics( which i have another computer for well a server)

If you have matching sets of two sticks, the motherboard will autodetect it and their settings.
-- If it detects the wrong settings, you can change the BIOS setting to match the settings shown on the RAM stickers.
-- You may still have to increase the voltage on the northbridge (or its equivalent) by one or two increments from the default setting because of the increased load from having all RAM slots populated.

I strongly suggest you check out the RAM section of the manual - sometimes the manufacturer will specifically say if it cannot OC RAM with all the slots populated.

Faster RAM benchmarks better than slower RAM, so it may make a difference. I've OCed RAM on both the systems in my More Information and played games on both at stock speed and OC speeds - again no noticeable difference, but better benchmark scores.

Solution

glitch_Recursion

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Rev2.1 seems like a perfect option unfortunaly i am not aware of how to acquire that spacific revision i contacted newegg and they informed me they don't know what revision there sending they don't physically have access to them. is there a company i can trust that i can get a specific revision from? so if for some reason a dead board ships, they have a good enough RMA process to deal with it.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Two weeks later...
Gigabyte has the mobo revision #'s posted on a sticker on the side of the box, along with SN, model, etc.
A customer service rep. may be able to help with requesting a 2.0 or 2.1 rev.

Status
Not open for further replies.