How to get stable OC using offset vcore

jazzmac251

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Through a bunch of work, I've discovered that the best my CPU can do is 4.6ghz @ 1.33v fixed (manual).

Now that I know this, I'd like to move to using an offset OC so I can take advantage of more of the power-saving capabilities of this setup. I've read up a bit and learned that to find the appropriate offset, you have to set the voltage from "manual" to "offset" in BOIS, leave the vcore offset to "auto", boot up, stress the CPU, see what voltage the auto setting is feeding your chip under 100% load using CPUZ, and adjust your offset accordingly (probably down significantly).

That's all well and good, but with "auto" vcore selected, I get the BEOD (Blue Emoticon of Death - Windows 8 :na: ) the instant I Prime95 my chip. While I have CPUZ open before I've engaged P95, I see the voltage go up to as high as 1.45v as the processor naturally ramps up and down. That is way, way too much. I tried doing a negative offset, but then I get Ol' Blue before Windows even starts. I ever tried bumping down the multiplier to 45, but I still couldn't load the CPU without my system crashing.

I guess offsets just aren't for me, then? :heink:

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
First, you need to completely back off. Absolutely back to stock, set a stock multiplier and a voltage offset of as close to 0.000v as you can. Enable the power savings stuff you want and get ready to proceed. You need to manually log ever setup you get as you can see the differences in how the VID (Where the chip's voltage requirements are fed from) reacts to different clocks.

I'd roll stock multiplier and see where it ranges from. CPUID Hardware Monitor is great for capturing good data to use as long as it works with your system. Once you find where the voltages are at, then you can start clocking up a tick or two at a time. No matter what you do, log the information and if you start getting BSOD again you'll know when and where to up the voltage. I run my 2600k@4.4Ghz with an offset of -0.020v. So you just need to learn what voltage you'll need for what frequency.