Solved

New mobo wont read sata HDD.

Hey. Today I got my new mobo, a ASUS M4A89GTD PRO. I installed everything and started it up to see if it would post. What I got was a screen sayin something to the extent of "Please select a proper boot drive or insert a boot cd and press a key". That is not word for word but ya. So i went to the bios thinking that the boot order was wrong but instead what I found was my hard drive was not even listed as one of the sata devices. My hard drive is a sata one btw. so I turning off the comp, moving the sata plug around to different sata slots and restarting, but it will not see it at all, and because of that I cant boot or reinstall windows because windows needs a storage device to do so. Is there a possible fix to this or perhaps is my mobo bad and I need to return it for another? Thanks.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about mobo wont read sata
  1. BTW, I tried pluggin the hdd into my dell board that I was upgrading from and it booted no problem, that is how I am online at the moment.
  2. Dont mean to keep replyin to my own thread, but I read that perhaps my sata controller is disabled in my bios or something. This a possibility?
  3. It IS a possibility. Have you checked your motherboard's manual on the matter? Sometimes hard drives setting enable or disable the drive for particular usage: and seeing as how your previous board was a Dell that might be why.

What options do you have under your Asus's Bios settings for your hard drive?
  4. Best answer
    Make certain, that you have the HDD installed in the correct SATA1 port {blue-closets to CPU and bottom closest to MOBO itself}.

Next, in the BIOS "Load Default" / Save & Exit.

If it fails then go into the BIOS change boot order to CD/DVD as "first" + HDD as "second" insert the Windows CD/DVD - Save & Exit BIOS, and boot. Press F8 and run Windows repair.

Verify that you installed ALL drivers; don't move the HDD around -> Device Manager changes the Drivers when the HDD is removed and the {SB850 SATA 6.0 Gb/s} gets uninstalled.

Also, if that fails - clear CMOS and repeat the F8 procedure.
  5. Eh...I am a dumbass. The molex that it was plugged into came out somehow, that is why it was not being read. Plugged it in and its good to go. Thanks anyways.
  6. Best answer selected by fcdwn777.
  7. Yeah, that'll help just a little, but thankfully it was something SIMPLE.

You're now an Official member of the "Oops Club" I have my plaque on the wall.
  8. ^ "Ooops Club" oie! :lol: xD
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards SATA Boot Hard Drives