Best gameing processor

G

What processor is best for games? Amd Phenom 11 X4 955 or Intel I5 650

helloshayan

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I personally thinkg 955 will be much better then i5 in gaming. I5 offers more threads which could be usefull in programing video editing but not in gaming. So therefore 955 all the way :)

randomkid

Distinguished
Personally I would go for Phenom II X4 955.
What is the rest of your selected components? If you let us know we can offer you more advice to balance out the components for your budget so no part will bottleneck the others.
Most important information will be the monitor resolution you are going to play at.

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
The PII 955 for sure. It also will allow you to run a top of the line video card without being the bottlenecked.

zipzoom: Do you ever contribute or do you just try to talk down to people?

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
raun, you can skip over this.

Yes that's why I have 9 badges, because I never contribute, people who don't like me just seem to pick me for "the best answer" for some strange reason, maybe because they think my avatar is cute. I dunno.

He's telling the poster that the dual core i5-650 has more threads than the X4 955. I replied, "How does i5-650 offer more threads?" LOL "It's a dual core processor"!

How is that talking down to somebody? It's sarcasm maybe. But if you can't handle that then I don't know what to tell ya.

I'm not always right either, were all human. But some of the ignorance around here is silly. Like every day someone writes a 300 word post to ask what cpu their motherboard supports. I mean your already on the internet, why not go Asus website and look for yourself, it would be quicker. That's just one example so it does tend to get annoying, I try to either make sarcastic humor or ignore it altogether. Maybe I should start just ignoring it all together. lol

How exactly does i5-650 offer more threads?? LOL

It's a dual core processor!!
Hmm… No input on what the op asked.
Most of the threads I go to I see you comment something rude for no reason.
Seriously......you never thought to go to ASUS website and look?? LOL

I often wonder how some people make it through life.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/281960-28-getting-desperate
You said that directly to the op who was asking for help when he even said that he was trying to help his friend out.

You sound like a child trying to show how much you know by saying derogatory things to people. Grow up.

The i5 dual cores are rather useless.

They cost more and are outprefromed by the i5-750, a i5 Quad Core.

at OP;

Go with the i5 750 fro now, as it is faster and has a higher OC headroom .

Or you could wait for AMDs new Zosma X4 960T.

(Even thou Zosma still gest raped by the i5)

The i5-750 was not one of the listed choices.
As the current balanced gaming build article and its predecessors clearly show, with few exceptions even a minimal CPU by today's standards is able to support pretty much any game if the GPU is strong enough. So, look at total cost, including the entire platform price (i.e. mobo and RAM) and go with the cheapest option consistent with quality parts (e.g. just say no to Jetway); but consider whether you may ever want multiple GPUs when you pick a mobo so you get enough PCI Express slots.
Less expensive options, such as an Athlon II X3, may work out just as well for you.

Actually zipzoomfly contributes quite a bit. And his advise is usually pretty solid.

To the OP:

I have to agree that you're comparing the wrong two processors. The PII 955 should be matched up against the i5-750. Both are Quad Core processors, and are more evenly matched. PII 955 can offer a less expensive over all system, but the i5-750 will ultimately be the winner of the two. I did a lot of reading and researching when I built my latest system and those were the two CPUs I pit against one another. :)

The i5-750 seems to OverClock very readily as well, which is great if you want to go that way. Ultimately though, the Intel CPUs produce better results at lower clock speeds. So don't let straight "Ghz" sway your decision.

^ :lol: It always amuses me when people complain about how AMD is "ALWAYS" upgradable. Hell the C2D/C2Qs are still dominating the Phenom Is :lol: .

Anyways:
@Pro Llama: You seriously don't get sarcasm do you? Also, there are just WAYY too many people who just fail at basic trouble shooting,etc. It gets rather annoying sometimes. AND helloshayan did make a rather incorrect posting so zip was right in fixing/loling at it.

@OP: Get the X4 955.

Yeh.

Socket 462-754-939-AM2-AM2+ much?

Loads of socket chages in only a few years.

Talk about "Historic backwards compatibility"

And my LGA 775 Q9550 at 4.0+ (Hopefully) Will praobly stand up nicely to the Thuban Hex core in gaming...

TRENDING THREADS