Intel i5 2500k/Asus P8Z77-V LX Overclocking

Pugsworth

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hello everyone. I had a question regarding Asus' motherboard function within the bios called "OCTuner". I recently bought an Intel i5 2500K with and after market cooler [Cooler Master 212+] and had hopes of overclocking it. However, messing around in the bios i came across a function called OC Tuner. After pressing it, I noticed that on CPU-Z and CoreTemp that my CPU was running at 4327.01Mhz (4.3ghz) and a maximum volatge of 1.37. So I guess my question is, did the OC Tuner techniquley overlcok my cpu, and my other, is this a safe voltage for what it is set to? Min Temp: 27 Max Load Temp: 60

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Ok, if you don't know enough about overclocking to do it yourself without the "OCTuner" then you probably shouldn't overclock until you learn. OCTuner and similar setups can use settings that just are overkill, not enough, or on small occasions be just about perfect.

Either way you look at it, you need to know about overclocking before doing it. You take a risk of burning up your CPU, damaging other hardware, and most importantly, voiding your warranty. So best idea is to play it safe and go learn about it while you run the stock settings.

In other respect, honestly that's a pretty high voltage that my 2600k would probably never be allowed to hit for more than a few minutes for a bench test or two.

Pugsworth

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I understand where you are coming from in regards to learning about overclocking before doing so. I have looked into a fair amount of overclocking guide's and tutorials about the i5 2500k, however I could not come across anyone who has done it on the P8Z77-V LX board. As well, I haven't found any information regarding the ramifications of OC Tuner affecting my machine, as I have had it running for a few days now. Just curious to see if anyone could help guide me through this process.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
All motherboards with options to overclock are very similar. The biggest differences you'll see are usually the options you have available to you might not be as wide with a budget board. So I still suggest you look into overclocking the processor you have. Even if the guides aren't your exact motherobard; those guides can help teach you a ton and make everything much clearer for you.