tecboy99

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
So I'm overclocked to 4.7 GHz and appears to be stable. There Is no option to change my v core so it is on auto. when I ran prime the max voltage was 1.306The Max Temp was 65. Is that a good voltage and temp?

Thanks

Solution

Well nothing is set in stone these days!

Especially since some have BIOS flashed their original Sandy Bridge M/Bs with Ivy Bridge BIOS flashes.

Which is great for Ivy but sucks for Sandy!

If you are getting contrary results, what does CPU-Z report that your clock is doing under load?

If it's say clocked to 4.7ghz under stress testing have CPU-Z running and watch the clock speed and see if it changes?

If it does not change, please post your specs?

tecboy99

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I ran It for about a hour. Im going to test for four hours today. Is that enough?

In this situation there's no need to run any stress testing as the auto voltage overclocking is only an illusion of being overclocked to 4.7ghz anyway, and it will throttle down to stay stable, so 4.7ghz is only realistic at idle, once heavy load enters the picture the throttling begins.

Run CPU-Z to monitor what your clock is actually real time doing under load, then you should understand what I'm saying.

This really depends on the board doesn't it? I know Asus board OC well on auto voltage...

Well nothing is set in stone these days!

Especially since some have BIOS flashed their original Sandy Bridge M/Bs with Ivy Bridge BIOS flashes.

Which is great for Ivy but sucks for Sandy!

If you are getting contrary results, what does CPU-Z report that your clock is doing under load?

If it's say clocked to 4.7ghz under stress testing have CPU-Z running and watch the clock speed and see if it changes?

If it does not change, please post your specs?

Solution

tecboy99

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

CPU-Z Says 4.7GHZ and 1.302 Volts under full load.

SPECS

Board: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
Processor: Intel i5 2500K
Graphics: 6870 Crossfire
RAM:12GB DDR3-1333

I'm curious, since you bought a Z77 M/B, why didn't you buy an Ivy Bridge CPU?

Did you already have the 2500K?

tecboy99

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

The 3rd Gen did not exist when I bought it. So, I figured out the manual VCORE and it is stable and 1.34. and 75C MAX Is that still okay?

tecboy99

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I bought it in June with a H77-ITX. Wanted to make a bigger computer so yesterday I bought a Z77.