Playing Thief DS Under Windows 98/ME

This was originally posted by TBIRDMANN and Kman2003 on one of the
Thief forums. I've not seen it here yet and now that I've had a chance
to test it I feel okay about posting it.

The following very simple fix has allowed me to play the demo with my
older system under Windows ME with absolutely no problems. I've not
yet tried the highest settings but everything I have tried has worked
so far. Others have posted that they been playing the full version
game with this fix with no problems. The only little glitch I've seen
is an occasional momentary drop to the destktop when going through a
Load Zone, the game pops right back though.

The Fix:

Part One
1. Install the game as per the prompts.
2. Get and Install the program PE Explorer. This is an executable file
editor that you can download for free and use on a 30-day trial. Try:
http://www.pe-explorer.com/
3. Using PE Explorer open the T3Main.exe file.
4. Go to the Resources tab in the View menu.
5. Delete the "Icon Entry" folder.
6. Save.

Part Two
1. Using a text editor like Word Pad open the Default.ini file which
you can find in the Thief DS System Folder.
2. Search and find the line "LoadFromResourceBlockFiles=False".
3. Change "False" to "True". So that the line is now:
"LoadFromResourceBlockFiles=True".
4. Save

Pretty easy huh? The game should now run fine. Of course, use at your
own risk. I take no responsibility if you hose your system, etc., etc.

Happy Thieving!

Griffin

System:
P4 1.3 Ghz
640 Mb RDRAM
Video: TI 4200, 128 MB
Windows ME

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:11:11 -0500, Craig Riekena
<craigsngs@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Playing Thief DS Under Windows 98/ME

>The Fix:
>
>Part One
>1. Install the game as per the prompts.
>2. Get and Install the program PE Explorer. This is an executable file
>editor that you can download for free and use on a 30-day trial. Try:
>http://www.pe-explorer.com/
>3. Using PE Explorer open the T3Main.exe file.
>4. Go to the Resources tab in the View menu.
>5. Delete the "Icon Entry" folder.
>6. Save.
>
>Part Two
>1. Using a text editor like Word Pad open the Default.ini file which
>you can find in the Thief DS System Folder.
>2. Search and find the line "LoadFromResourceBlockFiles=False".
>3. Change "False" to "True". So that the line is now:
>"LoadFromResourceBlockFiles=True".
>4. Save

A better fix would be to upgrade to Win2k or XP, IMO. Win2k was a
paradigm shift in Windows' stability and effectiveness.

What's up Chuck?

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome

Tim

"Greger Hoel" <gregerh@spammersgetbent.net> wrote in message

> Win2k was a
> paradigm shift in Windows' stability and effectiveness.
> --

Wouldn't that hold true for the entire NT family?

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:36:42 -0400, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Greger Hoel" <gregerh@spammersgetbent.net> wrote in message
>
>> Win2k was a
>> paradigm shift in Windows' stability and effectiveness.
>> --
>
>Wouldn't that hold true for the entire NT family?

Nah, the first NT editions didn't improve stability anything close to
what win2k did, IMO. They were also ineffective in the sense that
crossover compatibility with '98 and '95 software weren't very good.

Craig Riekena wrote:

> Playing Thief DS Under Windows 98/ME
>

> The Fix:

This thread was a lifesaver for me. Thanks very much for posting it!

Based on the fact that several prominent web sites list it as being
Win98 and ME compatible, I bought it without reading the fine print on
the box. Then I got it home and looked at the Readme file while it was
going in. Yikes!

I have a Windows ME partition on a box that boots Linux by default. The
only reason I have Windows at all is to play a few games (like Thief).
This hack made the diff for me. Why on earth did Eidos forcibly exclude
it? WinMe is stable enough for my occasional gaming needs.

Since I will never go to Windows XP - because you have to "rent" it from
M$ - I may have to give up gaming eventually. Things are looking up
though. I have Quake 3 Arena for Linux and have seen Unreal Tournament
run. The selection of ports and emulator-compatible games continues to
grow.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the market won't go 100% XP and/or
game consoles.

Huge thanks, Craig!

-dreq

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:27:55 GMT, Derek Mark Edding
<dreq@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Huge thanks, Craig!
>
> -dreq

Glad I could help.

Glad also to see something other than the smartass other responses
previous given ...grrrrrrr.

Craig

Craig Riekena <craigsngs@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:27:55 GMT, Derek Mark Edding
> <dreq@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>Huge thanks, Craig!
>>
>> -dreq
>
> Glad I could help.
>
> Glad also to see something other than the smartass other responses
> previous given ...grrrrrrr.
>
> Craig

Hey Craig, be assured you helped another one. And secured a customer
for Ion Storm & Eidos ;-)

I was in a very similar situation as Derek, with Linux on all my (and
my girlfirends) Computers, just one with a single Win98 SE partition
to play certain games. Though I have two copies of XP from my last
laptops, I wasn't amused by the prospect to repartion the disk just to
make room for a OS I wouldn't need otherwise. So I delayed my purchase
T:DS until I learned of your trick. And it runs excellently on Win98 SE.

So why doesn't it run out of the box on Win98? It's obviously not a
limitation of the engine or the game. I wonder if Eidos did this
deliberately to limit the environments they have to support?

--
Ole Arndt http://www.sugarshark.com