Sign in with
Your question

Getting desperate

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2010 10:23:17 AM

Hi guys, first post here. Used the search feature to no avail.

First off, I'm mostly a software guy, I know enough about hardware to skim by for the most part, but that's about it. I've only put 2 computers together in my time from scratch, so my tech-skill level is medium at best.

On to the beef of the question. My room mate recently purchased an AMD Phenom II x6 Black, this is his current motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Not going to claim to know anything about it. From what I've read, AM3 is backwards compatible through AM2+ and AM2? His mobo is AM2+ (year old few months change at best). Now, I've not read anything on the box that stated it was phenom compatible, and he has since lost the manual. After consulting the Google for about an hour, I was able to scrap up some website that said his motherboard was compatible with Phenom/Phenom II. He proceeded to install the proc, and it wont even post. Now, here's my question.. seeing as i'm pretty clueless about hardware, is his motherboard actually compatible with this processor? If so, what "might" cause it to not post? I know it's a pretty broad question, but any insight would be amazing.

Btw, His fans kick on, hdd lights up and graphics card spins up, but no video/loading of any noticeable kind? I don't have another machine to test his cpu in, so I don't know if it's DOA. Also, I can't help him reinstall his old proc until we make it to the store for some more thermal compound. Thanks in advance.

More about : desperate

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2010 10:55:59 AM

diet_pepsi said:
You can go to this website to check compatibility for ASUS mobos. Based on what I see the x6's are not on the list of compatible processors for your mobo.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Thank you kindly sir. You're efforts aren't without appreciation.
m
l
Related resources
a c 87 à CPUs
May 12, 2010 11:51:30 AM

AM2+ is compatible, but they need a bios update to work. No bios updates means it won't work.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2010 11:54:47 AM

4745454b said:
AM2+ is compatible, but they need a bios update to work. No bios updates means it won't work.

Well, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I knew that AM2+ was compatible, my concern was the Phenom. The only documentation I could find was that his motherboard was Phenom I, not Phenom II.. would that make a difference, or is Phenom backwards compatible like AM3-AM2+/2/1 is?
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2010 12:36:36 PM

Quote:
Someone posted a link for you.....and your still questioning whether it's compatible........ :hello: 

The only documentation you could find was that it was Phenom 1 and not Phenom 2........???? That's because you didn't bother to look at ASUS website where it clearly states Phenom 2 and Athlon 2 processors are supported.

Look, if it's not on the list, it's not supported. That doesn't mean it won't be supported in the future with a new bios release.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

I actually did look on the asus website, but got kind of lost. Hey, it happens.. After I looked again, and noticed it wasn't on the list.. I saw that someone else posted here saying that it would be supported with an updated Bios. Which prompted me to question again. Sorry for my ignorance? Thank you for your input though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2010 1:51:30 PM

Quote:
I actually did look on the asus website, but got kind of lost. Hey, it happens.. After I looked again, and noticed it wasn't on the list.. I saw that someone else posted here saying that it would be supported with an updated Bios. Which prompted me to question again. Sorry for my ignorance? Thank you for your input though.

The board does support Phenom II x4 chips so it could just be a matter of time before the x6 is written into the bios or this could be the point where they stop adding to the bios. Also you will have to excuse zipzoom he always seems to have an attitude when he replays.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2010 9:04:47 PM

Yup, you are SOL for now. You may want to install the old CPU just long enough to update the BIOS. With a more recent BIOS that supports Phenom II CPUs, you may get the X6 to POST, but it may not be stable and it certainly won't have Turbo Core enabled.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2010 12:44:15 AM

To OP: It's unfortunate that your friend bought the X6 without much research. I guess he just have to wait awhile for ASUS to release a BIOS to support the PII X6, if ever. Meanwhile, he can put the nice X6 in a shelf so he can admire it from a distance.

If he can not wait and he has the money, just get an AM3 motherboard + 4GB DDR3 RAM and he will good to go.
m
l
May 13, 2010 1:10:08 AM

It's kind of annoying when mobo makers don't update their bios on a regular basis but they don't want to add too much support for old mobos because they want you to upgrade and get a new one.
I sold my Asus M2A-VM because it didn't have official support for Phenom II but recently Asus did a bios update that suuports AM3 cpus. You may end up waiting awhile for the bios to come out.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2010 2:09:27 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I knew that AM2+ was compatible, my concern was the Phenom. The only documentation I could find was that his motherboard was Phenom I, not Phenom II.. would that make a difference, or is Phenom backwards compatible like AM3-AM2+/2/1 is?

The only difference between AM2+ and AM3 is memory support. DDR2 vs DDR3. CPU support is determined by bios updates. This is true of any platform or socket. The board cannot support stepping improvements without it. Older boards are less likely to recieve such support than newer boards.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2010 2:12:25 AM

Its worth noting that this board received a bios update in march, so ASUS is still supporting it. There is a decent chance it will get X6 support at some point in the near future.

m
l
!