Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Musicians recording PC.

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 5, 2010 12:51:30 AM

I am not going to add much but i have to know a reasonable price for a I can record music on possibly between 400 and a thousand, or as cheap as can be. I've noticed on my current PC it makes the screen shake or pixelize while I am plugged up. Any else who plays knows this burden. Its really getting at me becauseI don't wanna blow my audio or mess us my video card.

More about : musicians recording

March 5, 2010 1:08:55 AM

What kind of musician are you? Do you play guitar. You want to know how to record guitar through a PC? You want to build your PC?
March 5, 2010 1:15:01 AM

lauxenburg said:
What kind of musician are you? Do you play guitar. You want to know how to record guitar through a PC? You want to build your PC?

I am a guitarist, but also play drums, bass and violin I record Blues, metal and acoustic. I would prefer to build but any other info is helpful as well.
Related resources
March 5, 2010 1:33:25 AM

Well, for recording high quality music at a professional level requires 1.) the right software, 2.) the right sound card and 3.) the right hard drive so that the hard drive can keep up with writing the data to the hard drive, 4.) a quality pair of headphones or speakers/ amp to play back on.

Suggestions:

Use whatever software you are comfortable with.

For the sound card, I'd recommend an ASUS Xonar Essence ST card which runs at about $200 or a an ASUS Xonar D2 $180

Hard Drive wise you want something quick. It doesn't have to be a solid state drive because you will run out of space fast on those and the $ per GB is absolutely insane. Stick with mechanical drives. The top of the line desktop drive is the Western Digital Velociraptor 10,000RPMs drive. It spins quickly meaning it can write your information faster. However, it only comes in two varieties 150GB and 300GB. The 300GB model is $200 and the 150GB model is $150.

If you have the money buying two or three 300GB drives would be the answer, but in reality, you will be okay with something cheaper. I always buy my hard drives in a retail box because the bare drives have a really high failure rate. See if you can buy them from a Microcenter or even staples if they have them.

My favorite drives are the Seagate 7200.12 drives. The 1TB and 500GB drives are among the fastest contrary to what people think about the WD Black drives.

Good luck. Not sure if this helped.
March 5, 2010 1:59:59 AM

As for the actual computer:

I would go for an AMD setup because you will be focusing your budget on "more important" areas. You can get away with a very cheap setup similar to mine and even cheaper.

Parts:

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 620 @2.6GHz Quad Core $95
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785G-M/CSM $85
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1333 Model: F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH $115
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB Model: ST31000528AS. Get retail box $100
Power supply: Corsair VX450W 450W PSU $65
Graphics card: Use onboard, but if you think you need one get a cheap card. XTX ATi Radeon HD5450 512MB GDDR2 $50
Case: Cooler Master Elite RC-310 $40
DVD Drive: OEM DVD Burner LG, Samsung, Sony $30
OS: Windows 7 Home $100
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence D2 $180

Total price: $860 with a graphics card. $810 without. Highly recommended.

Good luck.
March 5, 2010 9:10:48 PM

Feel free to respond....................... ................
March 5, 2010 10:19:18 PM

Cakewalk and Line 6 both offer very good interfaces and software bundles for guitar , midi, or vocals (mic) and come in every budget from beginners to pros, the forums for computer home studios is good source for info.
March 5, 2010 10:38:45 PM

lauxenburg said:
Feel free to respond....................... ................

:hello:  Hey that system you have is very close to one I am putting together (slow going $$) I don't think I'll be online too much longer tonight but when you have a moment, How do like the 620 and the EVO ? Both are on my short list, do you overclock it? Still use the stock heat sink, I almost ordered a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus $29.USD and free S&H at Amazon. I would be very interested in what you say. Thanks :sol: 
March 5, 2010 10:54:29 PM

WaterRabbit said:
:hello:  Hey that system you have is very close to one I am putting together (slow going $$) I don't think I'll be online too much longer tonight but when you have a moment, How do like the 620 and the EVO ? Both are on my short list, do you overclock it? Still use the stock heat sink, I almost ordered a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus $29.USD and free S&H at Amazon. I would be very interested in what you say. Thanks :sol: 


The Athlon II 620 and the Asus Evo boards are a beauty together. I overclocked it very briefly just to see what it could do, and then returned it to stock. But I got it up to 3.3GHz on the stock air cooler which I still currently use. It was pretty stable for the time I had it. The 620 at stock speeds is adequate for just about every app. I have a cheap video card but combined I can play just about any game high-max settings. It's great and only cost about $650 at the time of building.

Good luck.
March 5, 2010 11:04:11 PM

lauxenburg said:
The Athlon II 620 and the Asus Evo boards are a beauty together. I overclocked it very briefly just to see what it could do, and then returned it to stock. But I got it up to 3.3GHz on the stock air cooler which I still currently use. It was pretty stable for the time I had it. The 620 at stock speeds is adequate for just about every app. I have a cheap video card but combined I can play just about any game high-max settings. It's great and only cost about $650 at the time of building.

Good luck.

Thank You, maybe I can pick your brain when I get it running. Take Care, Have a good one!
March 6, 2010 12:34:02 AM

WaterRabbit said:
Thank You, maybe I can pick your brain when I get it running. Take Care, Have a good one!


Yep, always open to questions.
!