In Game Stuttering Problem

killah0lic

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
AMD Phenom II 945 3.2ghz Quad-Core
8Gb of RAM
ATI 4870 1GB

I just got a computer like a month ago , and i noticed stuttering in games, and its been bothering me a lot lately.I have FRAPS on which shows the FPS im getting, probably the game i get the worse stuttering is battlefield bad company 2 beta, like ill be running around and ill get really bad stuttering like im going back a step or two and like action and movments arnt smooth but yet in fraps im getting like 35-45 FPS.I think its either that because im not hitting 60 frames equivlant to the monitor refresh rate or that the FPS is changing so much it makes the game stutter.

For example World in Conflict i put the FPS cap to 30 and the game runs great now.And on Wow i was running like 60 frames most of the time but then when it droped down to like 55 in some areas the game would start to stutter.So i put a cap to 30 and theres no more stuttering what so ever.

And for some reason on Borderlands i dont have a cap or anything the game will run on different FPS numbers ranging from 50 to 30 but it doesnt stutter but i can tell the difference between 50 and 30 and its still very playable.

I downloaded FPS Limiter and while it works ive only gotten it to work on Mass Effect 2.Before i put the limit to 40 , it was the same story it would run great ad smooth most of the time at 60 but the moment it went to lets say 54 , 56 it would stutter.

Again the same story for Left 4 Dead 2 run mostly on 60 but the moment it dipped below 60 it would stutter

So if theres anything i could fix or any tips so i can solve this problem

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Download Performancetest by PassMark and 3dmarkvantage. It could be the hard drive not loading fast enough perhaps which PerformanceTest will easily tell your random read/write speeds and 3dmarkvantage for GPU testing..
Post your results here.
Post your score here.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
hmm, uninstall and reinstal drivers?

what I do is uninstal from Cataylist Install Manager from control panel, then after that finishes I reboot and run Driver Cleaner Pro (freeware) to ensure ALL my old drivers are gone.

Hope that helps!

killah0lic

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Performance Test

PassMark Rating 1615.4
CPU Mark 4045.6
2d Graphics Card 382.9
3D Graphics Mark 1613.1
Memory Mark 950.5
Disk Mark 745.5
CD Mark 741.7

BTW i noticed when it went through the 3d testing that the FPS would constantly jump numbers like 60 to 50 or 40 to 55.And in the 3D testing there was stuttering.

3D Mark Vantage

CPU Score 8016
Graphics Score 7586
OS Windows 7
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 955
CPU Speed 3206 mhz
GPU ATI Radeon HD 4870
Memory 8192 MB

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Are you playing games with V-Sync? Turn that off. Along with AA and AF. Perhaps that would help.

Also online games could stutter because either you ping is high or server is lagging. If you are playing BC2, find lowest ping servers and avoid gameservers.com because their servers suck.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Odd... Scores appear to be fine (well the CPU one is a little odd since it's a bit low. I score 5k on my 3.6 ghz phenom II 550 x2 (unlocked to B50 quad core) on 3dmark06 and 12.8k~ on 3dmarkvantage. A 400 mhz difference can in no way impact that much difference.

Say what power supply do you have?

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Hmm rather odd. Appears to be GPU issue.

I would like you to try something if you will, could you please uninstall drivers, run driversweeper, and reinstall drivers.

If this does not work, your going to need to RMA that GPU. Sounds like the GPU's vram may be failing, or perhaps the chip it self.

killah0lic

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Could you remind me how to do that i have windows 7.

And perhaps ill install my friends ATI 4850 see how the stuttering is if its gone ill know its my GPU

Also tried taking the side case off that didnt do anything.

Also i must point out in games it seems right when i start playing the games run perfect, but after a minute or so ill notice my performance drops and starts stuttering

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Interesting

Well to uninstall ATI drivers just head to Control Panel, then Uninstall a Program.

From there choose the ATI Catalyst Install Manager. Use express uninstall as it delete every application from ATI including but not limited to: GPU, TV Tuner, Many random applications from ATI such as avivo, or Hydra vision.

From there, download Driver sweeper by Guru3d. Restart, hit F8 to run on safe mode. Run Driver sweeper while in safe mode, select remove ATI drivers. Let it do it's job. You will notice the program freezes for a bit, just let it run when it comes back up it will prompt you to restart.

Reboot normally and reinstall latest drivers from ATI.

killah0lic

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

Thanks for the help, you wre right it was my GPU i switched to my friends 4850 and i noticed there was no stuttering in games that there was stutering.SO im going to RMA it

also what i found weird is that in the ATI overdrive place that states like GPU clock and memory clock and then a seperate section with clocks but it says current values, on the top part the GPU clock was set to 750 and the memory at 900 but in the current values area, the gpu clock was 600 and the memory is the same, this is for my GPU, now my friendss GPU the top part was gpu clock 625 and memory like 900 i think and the current values were the same.Its as if my card isnt running to its proper gpu clock.But thanks for the help big time.=)

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

No problem.

catkinso

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
For me changing the monitor worked! My existign primary monitor is detected under vista as a non PnP monitor and I cannot get Vista drivers for it (being quite old).

Reasoning:

Loads of these threads about game stutter, which is not to be confused with low FPS or lag.

I run a high end system which gives me at least 80-120 FPS in left4dead, but still get stutter. This is just an indicator other games stutter too.

So why?

All of the following did NOT work:

Adjusting resolution
Adjusting AA/Ani settings
Vsync/Buffering (made some impact, but probably more that no Vsync hides the effect)

Resolution

After a recent upgrade I found the inferior machine I built out of spare parts had lower FPS but smother display, with no stutter. I natuarly thought graphics card, so actually replaced the 8800GTX with the slower 9800GT, but still got stutter.

Only other difference was that the stuttering machine runs two screens, so I disabled one. But still got stutter.

Then I switched the primary screen to the lower resolution 2nd monitor, BINGO! Smooth.

If I then switched primary back to the orginal monitor but lowered resolutions, I got stutter, so QED its actually the monitor/monitor drivers, in my case a rather old NEC 2070 Multisync

Interestingly the monitor which causes the stutter is detected as a generic Non PnP monitor, so it would be interesting to see if this is a monitor drivers issue, but there are no Vista drivers for this monitor unfortunately to can't rule this out:(

TRENDING THREADS