Sign in with
Your question

2 fan different rpm on hyper 212 + does affect the airflow?

Last response: in Components
May 12, 2010 3:15:35 PM

So I just installed the heatsink Hyper 212+ and the fan 2000 rpm that came with it and on the other side of the heatsink I placed the Noctua fan 1300rpm max.So my question is does it affect air flow and should I attache the fan with the similar speed 2000 rpm.
May 12, 2010 5:17:52 PM

Ideally you want to match the two fans speeds, but in your currrent situation there are several options.
1. dont use a second fan till you buy another 2k rpm one.
2. have the 1300 rpm fan blowing away from the hs and the 2k rpm one pulling in.
3.have the 1300 rpm fan mounted but not plugged in.
Personally I'd not touch it until I got another 2k rpm fan but its up to you man :) 
May 12, 2010 10:03:18 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Ideally you want to match the two fans speeds, but in your currrent situation there are several options.
1. dont use a second fan till you buy another 2k rpm one.
2. have the 1300 rpm fan blowing away from the hs and the 2k rpm one pulling in.
3.have the 1300 rpm fan mounted but not plugged in.
Personally I'd not touch it until I got another 2k rpm fan but its up to you man :) 

Well, if I understood in case 2. you described it is my case?So the primari fan 2000 rpm taking air and the secundary is 1300 rpmcatching the air from the faster and bloing to the third attached on th case blowing out all the air from heatsink.I hope that you think. I have another CM 2000 rpm and I can replace the Noctua on 1300 rpm but i was asking in this case does it affect on air flow because of the speed differences? :) 
Related resources
May 12, 2010 10:15:48 PM

As long as the rules of physics and engineering still apply, all that will happen is that the extra capacity of the 2000 rpm fan will result in the 1300 rpm fan pulling a bit more air through it than it normally would....a secondary effect will be that the faster rpm fan will bring in more air thru the sides of the head sink which are not covered by fans.

Personally I limit fan speeds to 1200-1300 rpm.....otherwise I find the noise too annoying. Last build has twin Enermax Magmas (1500 rpm) on it but I have throttled them to 83% speed or about 1250 rpm at which point they are inaudible. Using P95 and small FFT's

At 3.7 Ghz, the 920's core temps are in low to mid 50's.
At 4.2 GHz, the 920's core temps are in low70's (70, 71, 74, 71).

May 13, 2010 6:03:10 AM

If you have another 2k rpm fan, put that one on, but yes in my original suggestion, the 2k fan would push air into the hs and the 1300 would pull it out of the hs, probably the 2k would make the 1300 run a little faster due to the imbalance, you can affect the airflow in a case in many ways tho, hope that answers your question?
May 13, 2010 6:54:54 AM

Keep in mind that fan speed doesn't indicate how much air is moving. I can see a poorly designed fan @2k moving less air then a good fan at 1300. You will get some blockage, but it should pull from the sides as well. I say test it both ways, see if the second fan helps or hurts.
May 13, 2010 11:54:56 AM

Thanls guys. Yes I know about less rpm speed can push more amount of air. Specially I am a fan of Noctua products so I am aware of m³/h air flow :) . A month ago I had OCZ Vendetta 2 and the original fan goes with 1500 rpm and I found out it is really excellent cooler but I had a problem with those push buttons because the hetsink is pretty heavy and the plastic buttons were falling out from the MB.I tried to find the retension bracket with backplate but I couldn't so I desided to buy hyper 212+ and the only couple of months old OCZ finished in cellar :) )))
!