SATA drives show up in BIOS and device manager but not in My Computer

Lloyd Jones

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Dear Sir:
I just bought a 2nd sata drive for my computer it is a seagate 2tb but my computer hangs everytime I boot it. I have a msi MB with a quad core 266 cpu with 2gig ram. Can you tell me what to do? Have I got a bad HD?
In Christ,
Lloyd
Please do not post your @mail (that way u are helping to spread the spam), u will be automatically notified in your email when someone post a fresh line in your thread.

Thanx : )

Lloyd Jones

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Dear Sir:
I know I need to do this, but I added this drive to my system and before it reaches the bios detect it stops responding and sets their untill I reboot. I have done this several times. I took it to a new system with no HD and it did the same thing there. Please any ideas or do I have a bad drive. I might also mention I can put any other drive I have in and they are picked up.
Lloyd

My mistake, I responded to the title withoug adequately reading the body. I apologize.
I will leave this to people who have seen this before. I suggest that you post a new thread with the title "New disk causes POST to hang."

That said, if other disks do not cause this problem and this new disk does cause this problem, return the disk. While I can't prove it, odds are that the drive electronics are bad. The key infomation is your statement "I might also mention I can put any other drive I have in and they are picked up." This makes it pretty likely that the BIOS is choking on that drive. Some systems will also choke on disks over the 2.2 TiB size limit, but yours is under that size.

Note to everyone on the forum: I just realized how many times I have referred to the 2.2 GiB limit. Apparently, everyone knew that I meant 2.2 TiB, because I never got a "What on Earth are you talking about" response.