Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is RAM prices expected to go down?

Last response: in Memory
October 26, 2010 12:05:40 PM

Hello,

someone mentioned that the price for RAM could be expected to go down in some months time. Is this correct?

I am looking to to upgrade my system from 8GB to 16GB, but if there would be some noticable price reduction in the near future I could probably wait.

My spec now:

Memory: 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E LX

Do you think two new 4GB modules for will be any cheaper in a few months from now?

More about : ram prices expected

a b } Memory
October 26, 2010 12:38:31 PM

I don't expect them to come down any time soon. Maybe after 5-6 months not before that.

But why in the world would you need 16GB? 8GB is more than enough.
October 26, 2010 12:46:49 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
I don't expect them to come down any time soon. Maybe after 5-6 months not before that.

Thanks for your reply. Someone said that the upcoming Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs with new motherboards should decrease RAM prices, but that is not reasonable?

hell_storm2004 said:

But why in the world would you need 16GB? 8GB is more than enough.

Running Windows XP and sometimes surf the internet. Surely 16 GB is needed?

;)  No, but I use the computer at home as a workstation for running multiple server operating systems inside virtual machines. Only for testing job related stuff, not production, but I sometimes hit the 8GB limit..
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
October 26, 2010 12:53:22 PM

Even if the SB come out they are still gonna be on DDR3, so don't see any reason for a price cut. Maybe you would see some price cuts when DDR4 is in the horizon.
October 26, 2010 1:02:28 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
Maybe you would see some price cuts when DDR4 is in the horizon.

And that is not near now?
October 26, 2010 1:07:23 PM

Thanks. A little to long into the future to save a small amount of money.. :) 
a c 347 } Memory
October 26, 2010 1:17:07 PM

The ONLY uses I can think of using 8GB or 16GB is for: Professional Photo editing, Video editing, or HUGE databases {millions of records}.

RE: DDR4 by then you'll be thinking of a new rig and initially there 'may' be a slight drop. It is all about Supply v Demand; what I do for a living - suggests that the economy will be in the poor house...
October 26, 2010 1:20:31 PM

jaquith said:
The ONLY uses I can think of using 8GB or 16GB is for: Professional Photo editing, Video editing, or HUGE databases {millions of records}.

However, I actually do have a need for 16 GB and not for the reasons above.
a c 347 } Memory
October 26, 2010 1:25:07 PM

Okay, what? I said all I can think of <care to think of this early anyway>.
October 26, 2010 1:29:36 PM

jaquith said:
Okay, what? I said all I can think of <care to think of this early anyway>.

It is in the 3rd post in the thread.

Early? Here the work day is soon over. :) 
a c 347 } Memory
October 26, 2010 1:48:09 PM

Now that I am waking-up I also thought maybe Rendering / CAD, but running VM {Virtualization} off an 1156 make NO sense 'to me.' Also, when 'I' think Workstations I only think Xeon w/ ECC - etc; not a consumer PC CPU. I use i7 930's {consumer CPU} as 'pseudo' Workstations, and never would think to run them as a VM box nor think of them as Workstations or servers.

I did read "testing," but "testing" to me mean a similar environment & setup. All the environmental disparity attributes will tell you nothing; I guess the "How to set one up" question will be answered, but that's about the extent.

To each their own, and it seems to be a waste of $ RAM. I would never approve the expense in my office. On a cheap Xeon WS maybe.
October 26, 2010 2:29:20 PM

Let us not get stuck into phrases that has no standard definition. A "workstation" could of course mean XEON processors and ECC memory, but in my case it is a somewhat high end computer that I do not use for gaming.

As for "testing" that could of course mean performance or stability testing for a production environment, but also just to test functionality. I run lots of VMs (on Vmware Workstation) with multiple Domain Controllers, CA servers, file servers, IAS/NPS, Win 7 clients, virtual Vmware ESX servers with running VMs inside them, iSCSI devices and so on. There is thousands of things to test which I can do perfectly inside a VM.
a c 347 } Memory
October 26, 2010 4:37:58 PM

I have room of Enterprise servers, but I test per Enviornment. Also, if indeed per your statements above then you know this already. You are testing nothing that should be used to evaluate a "Production Enviornment" - see my second paragraph above.

Let's say it fails on the 1156 -> what does that say about running it in a "real server" -> zip.
October 26, 2010 11:01:05 PM

I do not know if it is because of language barriers we are having this strange discussion and I can not really express myself. However, I do still think it is a bit odd that I shall have to defend for you what kind of "tests" I do on my own personal PC in my "own" thread.

I do also belive I know which results from labs that are applicable to a real environment and which are not.
October 28, 2010 7:14:11 AM

Best answer selected by ricno.
!