Possible to run two diff res monitors?

jonathan7007

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
All,
I will be building a i7 machine in March and wondered how to buy a graphics card that will run my two different wide-screen monitors. I am partial to nVidia but with a brand-new build I could shift over to ATI. However, so many reviews mention (for ATI) very wide cards with loud fan noise... I did research this on the nVidia site but there was little detailed info on running two monitors.

I have a Gateway 24" monitor that is 1900x1200 native. I also have a 20" Viewsonic for graphics professionals model VP2030b that runs at 1600x1200 native. I'd want to run both with DVI signals, of course. Can a 9800 nVidia do this? 260 or above needed? Is it up to the manufacturer to build out the chipset over and above the bare-bones nVidia tools to do this particular task? If so, that means I check with each manufacturer...

I do know that many of the better cards offer two DVI connectors, but the different res numbers and perhaps sync rates made me wonder if the cards will handle the mis-matched monitors problem.

I am building this rig to do Photoshop CS4 work and accelerate screen redraws with the off-loaded GPU cycles. The tool palettes and other windows should go on the big Gateway and I would color calibrate the Viewsonic. I might run a game every once in a while, I guess, but I don't even own anything challenging like CoD.

Any thoughts and experience gratefully accepted.

jonathan7007

TRENDING THREADS