Replace 8800 GTX cards?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't exactly find a way to search the forum.

I have two (2) nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX cards in SLI on my ASUS Striker Formula II motherboard. Is there any point in upgrading these cards to something newer?

If, "Yes", then what would be recommended for something between $100-$150, if that's possible.
17 answers Last reply
More about replace 8800 cards
  1. well u would have to g from an SLI to one card

    a 5770 should perform better and is only 140 USD
  2. A 5770 probably would not beat a pair of 8800 GTXs in SLI, at least not by enough to be worth upgrading. In that price range, I would say don't bother at this point.
  3. 2 8800GTX's in SLI are like 2 GTS250's in SLI, right?

    In that case, they perform better than a single 5770. But if you have the money for 2 8800GTX's, then you might have the money for something better, like a 5870 or a 5970.

    Cheers!
  4. Upendra09 and cjl = Those were very quick replies. Thanks very much.

    Now, if I replaced both 8800s with two 5770s, would that make sense or would it be best to just buy one card in the $300 price range?

    How about one (1) ATI Radeon 5850?
  5. Guardsix said:
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't exactly find a way to search the forum.

    I have two (2) nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX cards in SLI on my ASUS Striker Formula II motherboard. Is there any point in upgrading these cards to something newer?

    If, "Yes", then what would be recommended for something between $100-$150, if that's possible.



    Those two G80s in sli are faster than just about every thing below that of a yet to be released 5830 and with the budget that you have given I would wait till prices come down or you have more money. Last option contenue to run them till one fails or you scrape by on a pos card while you sell the G80s on ebay. If you sell them you might have enough to purchase a 5850 if the cards sell for around $150 usd which they can easily get $125+. Just keep in mind that eBay is a pain in the ass when it comes to fees.
  6. Guardsix said:
    Upendra09 and cjl = Those were very quick replies. Thanks very much.

    Now, if I replaced both 8800s with two 5770s, would that make sense or would it be best to just buy one card in the $300 price range?

    How about one (1) ATI Radeon 5850?


    A single 5850 is your best bet since two 5770s will at some point just not be enough knowing the pace of game bloating.
  7. cjl said:
    A 5770 probably would not beat a pair of 8800 GTXs in SLI, at least not by enough to be worth upgrading. In that price range, I would say don't bother at this point.



    what he said

    the 8800GTX alone is still a solid card
  8. I don't think it's worth it unless you go to a 5850 or 5870. But you may just want to save that for when you build a whole new computer. Two 8800 GTXs is pretty solid, and there's no point in upgrading past that unless the rest of your system is toward the high end as well.
  9. There's a reason the 8800GTX cards cost a weeks pay when they came out. In order to have a "meaningful" upgrade you need at least two Radeon 5850s or a single Radeon 5970. In my opinion anything less than that wouldn't give you a meaningful performance increase
  10. Forgot to consider that you probably have an SLI board right now. Two GTX 285s would certainly be a significant step up from your two 8800 GTX cards, assuming that your CPU was fast enough to keep up. If your CPU is currently the bottlneck you won't be getting much more performance no matter which video cards you use.
  11. Guardsix said:
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't exactly find a way to search the forum.

    I have two (2) nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX cards in SLI on my ASUS Striker Formula II motherboard. Is there any point in upgrading these cards to something newer?

    If, "Yes", then what would be recommended for something between $100-$150, if that's possible.


    I know that this is a silly question, but I just have to ask it... What is the goal here, what can't you run comfortably???
  12. More importantly...
    What is monitor's native resolution?
  13. Wow! I didn't expect so many to answer so fast.

    I have to apologize a little. I misstated my graphics cards. Here's my system specs.

    OS = Windows 7 Home Premium

    ASUS Striker II Formula motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
    2 - nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB in SLI Not 8800 GTXs
    4GB of quality memory
    2 - 500GB hard drives in Raid 0
    2- DVD/RWs

    850W power supply

    Monitor - Dell 24" pushing 1920x1200 pixels


    So how does my mistake in describing my current graphics cards change things?

    And, what am I trying to accomplish? Well, I want to play the latest games at the highest setting including Mass Effect II which I haven't bought just yet. Also, if I don't tell my wife that I need to upgrade my computer every so often, she'll get to thinking that I'm satisfied with what I have...that's not good. :)

    I thank everyone for providing an answer. It sure is educating.
  14. SLI 8800GT are comparable to GTX 260 or HD 5770 in performance which is quite good for 1920X1200.

    I suggest you to keep those cards for a while.They are quite capable at that resolution.

    If you are not satisfied by the performance the best bet for you is HD5850 which is around $300.Otherwise wait for HD 5830.
  15. shubham1401 said:
    SLI 8800GT are comparable to GTX 260 or HD 5770 in performance which is quite good for 1920X1200.

    I suggest you to keep those cards for a while.They are quite capable at that resolution.

    If you are not satisfied by the performance the best bet for you is HD5850 which is around $300.Otherwise wait for HD 5830.



    Agreed and second when overclocked these G92s can pull out ahead that of a single GTX260 fairly easily. The 192 core 260 is already slower than your box while the core 216 is about the same performance.
  16. My bro has an E8400? (I think on a Stryker 2 board) paired with 2 - 8800GTX's. I'm not up on resolutions, but his widescreen monitor has to be 24" wide, and that thing just keeps playing everything he throws at it. I think he doesn't play @ max everything, but it looks sweet, got some AA running, and a few other blingy settings, I'm sure.

    I would say save up money for your next freshly all new unbottlenecked PC, and let those 88's retire with honor. In my opinion, you still have a pretty tough rig there. :)
  17. Excellent! I think I'll not worry about what I have and just enjoy playing my games.

    Really appreciate all the direct and thoughtful responses.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics Product