Sign in with
Your question
Solved

4 pin to 8 pin eps power adapter safe for 125W cpu?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 26, 2010 2:30:58 PM

My brother in law has an old 630i motherboard and a Pentium Dual Core E2220, and it is time for him to upgrade. I was thinking about this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... with this processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . He already has plenty of DDR2 memory and a 5770 he can reuse. The only problem is, he has this power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... with a 4 pin CPU power plug and the board takes an 8 pin. I know it is safe to use a 4 pin plug in the 8 pin socket with a low power processor, but this is a 125W cpu. Would it be safe with a 4 pin female to 8 pin male adapter, or can't a 4 pin plug physically provide enough power?

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2010 3:33:50 PM

I unfortunately cannot open the links you provided, but usually a 4-pin connection will work.

In many cases the motherboard will have a small tab covering 4 pins of the total 8 pins so you can just plug in the 4-pin and later one plug-in an 8-pin when needed.

Of course if you are going to be using a hefty gpu and start OC - best would be to upgrade the psu just to have that extra juice going x)
m
l
October 26, 2010 6:40:07 PM

Sorry about that, it is a GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard, Phenom II X4 940 Processor, and an HEC 585w power supply. I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't run anything more than a 95W CPU with just a 4 pin plug, I just wondered if the adapter can change the amount of power the board can draw safely or if it is still limited by the 4 pin plug.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2010 12:32:09 AM

PLEASE do not use that PSU. It is low quality. You are just asking for trouble by using it. Get a better quality PSU from Antec, Corsair, XFX, OCZ, PC Power, etc.

Friends don't let friends run cr@ppy PSUs.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2010 1:01:01 PM

The 4-pin will draw enough power to run stable (safely)- but it won't exactly replace the 8-pin.

And shadow is correct - i would recommend you change your power supply to something more reliable :lol: 

Corsair is one of the top notch brands, and i definitely trust XFX. And if you buy a new board, they will more than likew come with an 8-pin x)
October 27, 2010 3:09:40 PM

I agree completely about the power supply, but he is on a pretty tight budget so he might run it on that power supply for a while until he can get a good one. I have always wondered about the 4 pin to 8 pin adapters though. Thanks for the help.
m
l
October 27, 2010 3:10:03 PM

Best answer selected by Andon48.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2010 3:26:43 PM

Lol well that's not a problem. That PSU is what i like to call "experimentals" xD when i buy PSU's like that - they are either used & abused for my testing purposes or saved for backups (if they survive).

And not a problem :)  If you need any more help or have any more questions feel free to send me a message x).
m
l
!