Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 doesnt detect second hard drive?

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2010 4:40:18 AM

hey, i just finished my first build and im very happy its up and running. theres only one problem, on windows 7, when i click my computer, it only recognizes one hard drive, which is my 40GB SDD boot drive. the other is a WD 1tb hard drive for my storage, and im not seeing it in the hard drive list in the "my computer" section in windows. When i open up my bios on my GB-x58a-ud3r, it recognizes both of my hard drives. only thing is, theyre both recognized as slaves? the SDD being the ch. 0 slave and the 1tb HD being the ch. 1 slave. is this normal? if so, how can i get my 1tb HD to show up in windows?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2010 5:44:55 AM

Wow, they really need to do something about this. This is like the fifth one of these this month at least.

So what happened is that it isn't formatted and someone had the bright idea to not assign hard drive letters to such drives.

So what you have to do now, is open windows explorer, right click my computer, click manage, go down to disk management or something under storage. Now you see the list of everything assigned a drive letter. Next, you can change your optical drive's letter so that the other hard drive can have D: then format the hard drive, preferably don't do the quick format. Then just let it go, when it finishes assign it a drive letter and reboot.
m
l
July 10, 2012 9:55:46 AM

If Win 7 doesn't recognize the 2nd hd how can you assign it a drive letter & format it? Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
!