Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Harddrive Filling Up With Invisible Files - Vista 64

Last response: in Storage
March 21, 2012 5:44:37 PM

My C drive is a 500 gig drive, 465 gig of which is usable. Over the last month or two it has been slowly filling up with files that I cannot find or delete. I have viewing of hidden files and protected system files enabled. As of right now if I right click and view properties for drive C it says I am using 442 gig. If I go into the drive c root, select all files and view properties they come out to about 219 gig. Somehow there is over 200 gigs worth of files that I cannot view, even with viewing of hidden files enabled. I have also run WinDIRStat and it came up with the same 219 gig of used space.

I have already run disk clean up, including deleting all but the most recent restore points, and all it did was clear about 10 gig of space.

I run ESET anti virus and firewall. The only thing I can think of is I started noticing this not long after installing Carbonite. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, just uninstalled it without effect.

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 21, 2012 5:52:30 PM

Use this program to show you where the files are that you can't see. Once you figure out what they are you should be able to remove them somehow or another or at least understand what they are.

http://windirstat.info/
March 21, 2012 6:02:08 PM

Already did that, WinDIRStat is giving me the same 219gig of harddrive space used number.
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2012 6:55:53 PM

I'd try BartPE or putting the drive in another machine, and seeing if things looke different from there.
m
l
November 4, 2012 12:36:28 AM

Easy talk now delete all file, Just download quickly “Duplicate Files Delete” from DuplicateFilesDeleter.com. It may be able to to fix which you want.
m
l
January 29, 2013 5:23:43 PM

Open Services, find Windows Search, stop it, and change it to manual start.

Then go to c:\Program Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows and delete the file windows.edb. It will be quite large!
Windows will make a new file after that.
Your problem should be resolved
===================================================

JohnG84 said:
My C drive is a 500 gig drive, 465 gig of which is usable. Over the last month or two it has been slowly filling up with files that I cannot find or delete. I have viewing of hidden files and protected system files enabled. As of right now if I right click and view properties for drive C it says I am using 442 gig. If I go into the drive c root, select all files and view properties they come out to about 219 gig. Somehow there is over 200 gigs worth of files that I cannot view, even with viewing of hidden files enabled. I have also run WinDIRStat and it came up with the same 219 gig of used space.

I have already run disk clean up, including deleting all but the most recent restore points, and all it did was clear about 10 gig of space.

I run ESET anti virus and firewall. The only thing I can think of is I started noticing this not long after installing Carbonite. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, just uninstalled it without effect.

m
l
June 7, 2013 8:28:35 AM

Hi, your hard disk may be filled up by the windows restore point files try this and see if it works
: goto computer and right click > properties > system protection > choose C drive > configure > set max usage to minimum (left) > delete
m
l
!