Sign in with
Your question

Converted Ext.HD power cord snag, now clicking when plugged to PC.

Last response: in Storage
March 21, 2012 6:20:50 PM

Greetings, o great and benevolent hardware forum.

I recently pulled a terabyte hard drive out of my burnt out tower and slid it into a Rosewill external drive case and it's been great. Well, until last night, anyway. Due to some careless wire arranging on my part :pfff:  , I snagged, in passing, the AC/DC cord that powers the unit and the thing was a bit jarred. It was fine for about half a minute or so, then started up a rotary click and discontinuing data streaming (I had been playing music from the drive)... So I disengaged, logged off windows just in case, switched off and disconnected the drive.

This afternoon when I plugged in the power it seemed to spin up just fine, but that clicking set in again once it was plugged into the usb of my laptop.... Windows 7 never did recognize it, so I hit the switch again, unplugged everything, and unscrewed the case to make sure the drive was securely engaged with the enclosure. It seemed to have slid out a bit, so I hoped for the best, but there was no positive change upon testing :??: 

Any idea what problem might be? What fix I might apply?
Or did I just kill my precious treasure chest and half blow my data?

All and any help (not in caps lock, of course) much appreciated
a b G Storage
March 21, 2012 7:48:12 PM

Yup That clicking sound is known to many and it is the sound of a drive dieing... Get off what you can but odds are you wont get it all... or any. I have heard of people putting the drive in a liplock bag and sticking it in the freezer for a couple hours can get it working for 30 min or so to get data off might be worth a try if you have some good stuff on there.

Thetn
m
l
March 21, 2012 10:30:05 PM

BTW- It's a relatively new drive. Only in use maybe 2 years.
m
l
March 24, 2012 5:09:20 AM

thently said:
Yup That clicking sound is known to many and it is the sound of a drive dieing... Get off what you can but odds are you wont get it all... or any. I have heard of people putting the drive in a liplock bag and sticking it in the freezer for a couple hours can get it working for 30 min or so to get data off might be worth a try if you have some good stuff on there.

Thetn

It's basically all my stuff. I'll try it if I must. It would be supper awesome if you might, were it in your power, explain to me how this mild physical jolt might have sent a perfectly good, virtually new hard drive to neigh dead. Learning from rotten experiences makes one a more helpful person to others in the long run, don't you think?
m
l
!