First time PC Building help

boon_pek

Mar 5, 2010
Hello,

For my IT class, we were asked to Build a PC for our project. So I did some research to find parts for the computer I'll need. The parts are not ordered yet, and that's the reason I'm here, to be sure that nothing is wrong with my parts. I live quite far from any decent IT stores, so I'll be buying off an International online store.

These are already in my list:

Processor:
• Intel Core i7 920 - 2.66 GHz

Motherboard:
• ASUS P6TD Deluxe

Enclosure:
• Antec Solo Black/Silver Steel

Power Supply Unit:
• Antec Signature SG850 - 850W

Random Access Memory
• Crucial CT51272BV1339 - 4GB

The problem is the graphics card - I'm trying to find a graphics card which has more than 4859 MB. I came across the "Sapphire HD 4890 Vapor-X 2GB", but I can't seem to buy it from where I get the items from. If there are any other better graphics card in excaliberpc, may you please tell me. Otherwise you can tell me which online International store I can get all the items listed above.

Thank you very much for reading this post, and I really appreciate any help given to me.

First thing I notice is that you need more than 4 GB of RAM. I'm assuming thats a kit of two 2 GB sticks. The X58 boards use triple channel RAM, so you need to be buying RAM in sets of three sticks. The typical purchase is 3x2 GB sticks.

As for GPU, you have three options if you need 2 GB of memory: GTX 290, HD 4850 X2 and HD 5970. Right now, the 5970 is the best choice for gaming.

Other than that, we really need more info to help. Take a look at the guidelines from the link in my signature. We need to have a budget, what you're using it for, where you're buying (if we need to check availability), what parts you already have and the specs on those parts.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
but given this guy only needs to build one for a project (doesnt specify the use), even an AMD system would suffice (moreover, an atom system!)

I really can't understand why hes wanting a high spec pc.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I would imagine that there's a confusion about model numbers and actual memory on the card. No current cards have over 4 GB of memory. The closest is the 5970, at 2 GB, as MadAdmiral mentions. Getting a 2 GB card seems out of line for a class project.

Over 4859 would seem to suggest any ATI card model over 4850, which would suggest it's aimed at being a simple mainstream build. You could go with an ATI 5670 or a 5750 for relatively cheap. You could even go as low as a 5450 512 MB card for $49 (including shipping), which would seem much more reasonable for a class.

OP, rough equivalence of cards can be seen on this chart.

boon_pek

Mar 5, 2010
It is for a project, and I plan to use it myself for playing games later on. Right now I'm stuck on my graphics card. Should I take the Sapphire HD 5850 or the Gigabyte 5850? The Sapphire is US$ 32.00 more expensive than the Gigabyte. Can anyone here tell me the difference, ie. cooling system, etc?

boon_pek

Mar 5, 2010
Image.png

That's from my friends PC, he's using a Sapphire HD 4890 Vapor-X 2GB

GPU brand doesn't make any difference.

One thing to point out is that the Windows scores mean absolutely nothing. Just google some of the scores and you'll find people who are getting that GPU score with 4 year old cards.

As for a good gaming PC, I would go with the i5-750 instead of the i7-9xx. It should save you enough to get at least the HD 5870, if not the HD 5970.

So here's what I would price out:

CPU: i5-750
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
RAM: Any 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 kit
Case: HAF 922. This is one of the best cases out there, and you should really look into it.
PSU: 750W would be enough, and the Antec Signature series is overpriced. Check out Antec's other lines, as well as Corsair, SeaSonic, Silverstone and PC Power & Cooling.

Once you've priced that out, get the biggest 5xxx series card you can afford.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I agree with MadAdmiral.
Also dont read the gaming graphics memory crap, they provide no useful information what so ever.
Then again, what is your screen resolution?
I hope you are not going to go for a 1280X1024 for a system like that.... are you????