Closed

LG Super Multi DVD GH24ls70 Will Not Install

Tags:
  • DVD Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 21, 2012 7:05:48 PM

Hi all.

1. I failed to read the requirements thoroughly before purchase (shame on me).
2. I have forgotten more about (re-) building a system than I care to admit.
3. I am completely unversed in exactly what xxGHz actually means in a processor.

My system:
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3 (32 bit)
Motherboard: ASRock N68C-S UCC
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2
Core Processor 4000+
2.11 GHz, 2 Gb of RAM
HDD: WD "500 GB" (465 functional GB, 411 GB free)
Video card: Nvidia GForce 9400 GT (1 GB Video RAM, Driver 296.10)
Direct X: 9.0
Interface: Serial ATA/IDE

Minimum Requirements for DVD drive:
OS: Windows XP (SP2 or higher), Windows 7, Windows Vista (32 bit, 64 bit)
CPU: Pentium IV 2.4 GHz or higher, or compatible (Pentium IV 3.2 GHz+ recommended)
RAM: 256 MB or higher (512 recommended)
HDD: 20GB+ of available space
Video Memory: 64MB+ (128MB recommended)
DirectX: 9.0 or higher
Interface: Serial ATA

So, in order to install all the software and updated drivers/ firmware from the prepackaged DVD, one must do so from the LG drive after basic MS DVD driver installs at start up. My problem is that although the power cable works with the old CD (which won't read DVDs at all), and I have tried connecting two separate brand new SATA cables from the DVD to the HDD...XP does not detect the LG at all; in fact, the power light does not even flash either. I have uninstalled (with all power off and power cords removed) the DVD, reinstalled the CD drive (which still works for CDs), and reversed the process 5 or 6 times to no avail.

Even after discovering the processor requirement, I hoped that the dual core 2.11GHz would suffice. It seems I was wrong.

My questions:

1. What exactly does the GHz specification determine in CPU performance terms?
2. Is there any possible way my current dual core processor will work with the LG DVD drive?
3. Is it just me? or have clean OS/ new hardware installs become exponentially more difficult in the last 3 years? (See my quote for how I feel after the past 5 months of trouble shooting and new problems.)

Comments:
1. Sorry this is so long; I wanted to be thorough.
2. Thanks.

More about : super multi dvd gh24ls70 install

March 21, 2012 8:41:50 PM

One other note:

Bios is version 1.5, and is set to defaults (except that I shut off the gaudy/ annoying full screen revolving boot image).
Score
March 24, 2012 7:30:58 PM

Due to a lack of responses and the fact that I think it belongs in the CPU thread, I have moved this that section. I see no way to close or delete this thread, so I would kindly ask the moderators to do either or both.

Thank you.
Score
a c 205 G Storage
March 25, 2012 5:04:40 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!