Setup Windows Remote Desktop Connection

jsper

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Hello, So far I have setup the connection to work outside the LAN with Windows Remote Desktop Connection of Officer PC 1. Now I am attempting to do the same, so that Office PC 2 can be accessed outside the LAN. Im finding it difficult and I believe its because both office PC's use the same external IP address?

Yes, this is the problem. You can get around it two ways, both involve your router and port forwarding.

1. You can change the default listening port from 3389 to something unique on each host. Now create a port forward rule for each of those unique ports. Then,

port forward 3389 to PC1
port forward 3390 to PC2
port forward 3391 to PC3

To change the default port number use these instructions.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759

2. Leave the default listening port at 3389 for each host. Use unique port numbers in the router to port forward to the correct PC. For example:

Port forward 4000 to PC1's IP address, port 3389
Port forward 4001 to PC2's IP address, port 3389
Port forward 4002 to PC3's IP address, port 3389

Of course this makes more sense if your hosts have static IP addresses.

jsper

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
I followed what was said here and made some progress, but I was still unable to connect to two work stations because of the identical IP.

First off, I went ahead and edited the port in the registry from 3389 to 3390 and applied the new port number 3390 into my router configuration public & private. I could not connect if I left on of them 3389, public or private.

I was lost when you refer to a default listening port and leaving it set as the default port 3389. When Im in my router configuration under the "port forwarding" tab, I get these options "Name, IP address, Public Port, Private Port, Traffic Type, & Schedule.

I know I am almost there, can you see where I may be messing up?

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure I can explain it any easier than the first go around.

For default, I meant on the PC's. Leave all their ports set at the default of 3389. In this case you would do this:

Port forward 4000 to PC1's IP address, port 3389
Port forward 4001 to PC2's IP address, port 3389
Port forward 4002 to PC3's IP address, port 3389

Then from the outside worl you could connect to:
<your_domain>:4000 to get to PC1
<your_domain>:4002 to get to PC2
<your_domain>:4003 to get to PC3.

Also, not sure how you are getting identical IP's. Each PC should have a unique IP address.

jsper

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
The steps above worked, but now it seems the internet connection constantly times out connects/disconnects. Could have the above steps negatively affect my internet connection?

Thanks in advance!

jsper

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Since this venture. Every computer on the network has been having HUGE problems. The internet cannot stay connected. The database program we use to enter in reports is crashing. So I went and removed the port forwards on the router and fixed the ports back to default in regedit. Still the problem continues... Im sorry! Does someone know what is going on?

Thanks,

Jeff Sperandeo

Port forwarding and changing the default listen port for remote desktop doesn not cause these types of issues. In fact it should cause no issues. There is something else going on in your network causing these issues. I've set many networks to operate this way and have never had problems.

harryblue954

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
:hello: harry here: there is a program called GoToMyPC i think it cost not sure it has to be installed on both computers :)

TRENDING THREADS