Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hard to reach rooftop

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 5:43:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

I doubt if this is a spoiler, although the answer may be.

I'm standing in front of Shalelbridge Cradle now, so before I am driven
insane I'd like to know this:

On the roof of Fort Ironwood there is a rust mite with some loot close
by. Is that accessible from *inside*, please? Outside, I've tried all
kinds of combinations of jump and climb to get there, mostly starting
from the building opposite (which has a 'not meant to be climbed' fee)

I'm not asking how to do it, just if it's do-able from outside
--
Terry Pratchett

More about : hard reach rooftop

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 9:59:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

In message <2kg7i7F211q1U1@uni-berlin.de>, McEve <mceve@azcappy.com>
writes
>
>"Terry Pratchett" <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:D txlb4I6Vr4AFAZl@unseen.demon.co.uk...
>>
>> I doubt if this is a spoiler, although the answer may be.
>>
>> I'm standing in front of Shalelbridge Cradle now, so before I am driven
>> insane I'd like to know this:
>>
>> On the roof of Fort Ironwood there is a rust mite with some loot close
>> by. Is that accessible from *inside*, please? Outside, I've tried all
>> kinds of combinations of jump and climb to get there, mostly starting
>> from the building opposite (which has a 'not meant to be climbed' fee)
>>
>> I'm not asking how to do it, just if it's do-able from outside
>> --
>> Terry Pratchett
>
>hmm.... you're standing in front of the door where the glyph to start the
>cradle is/was?
>ok.. bit of spoiler space just in case
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I found a rust mite and some loot on a roof of Fort Ironwood, but that was
>accesible from the grave yard - or from the terrace where there's a hammer
>patrolling too... that would not be the same place I guess...
>
>Can you describe in more detail where you're standing when you see the
>loot/rust mite?

Thanks, that's the one. Okay, I'll keep working to find a way.

I mentioned the Cradle because from what I've heard it's surely going to
be the death of me!
--
Terry Pratchett
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 10:20:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Terry Pratchett" <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D txlb4I6Vr4AFAZl@unseen.demon.co.uk...
>
> I doubt if this is a spoiler, although the answer may be.
>
> I'm standing in front of Shalelbridge Cradle now, so before I am driven
> insane I'd like to know this:
>
> On the roof of Fort Ironwood there is a rust mite with some loot close
> by. Is that accessible from *inside*, please? Outside, I've tried all
> kinds of combinations of jump and climb to get there, mostly starting
> from the building opposite (which has a 'not meant to be climbed' fee)
>
> I'm not asking how to do it, just if it's do-able from outside
> --
> Terry Pratchett

hmm.... you're standing in front of the door where the glyph to start the
cradle is/was?
ok.. bit of spoiler space just in case










I found a rust mite and some loot on a roof of Fort Ironwood, but that was
accesible from the grave yard - or from the terrace where there's a hammer
patrolling too... that would not be the same place I guess...

Can you describe in more detail where you're standing when you see the
loot/rust mite?
Related resources
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 11:27:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:59:49 +0100, Terry Pratchett
<tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I mentioned the Cradle because from what I've heard it's surely going to
>be the death of me!

It took me days to play through, cuz I couldn't stand the horror of it
for more than short periods.
--
______________________________________________

What's up Chuck?

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 11:42:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Greger Hoel" <gregerh@spammersgetbent.net> wrote in message
news:qrt5e05ridqh3i4r9lj8kejppqk97amr5j@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:59:49 +0100, Terry Pratchett
> <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I mentioned the Cradle because from what I've heard it's surely going to
> >be the death of me!
>
> It took me days to play through, cuz I couldn't stand the horror of it
> for more than short periods.
> --

I had 80% loot and quite a few hours gameplay behind me before I could make
any progress -

WARNING MAJOR spoiler



























because there was NO WAY I was going up the attic - I ran the other
direction!
June 30, 2004 11:42:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

If I think you are where you are, I got to it with a "leap" of faith,
however
I subsequently found the solution to be a little more "grating".

See what I did there? Oh, please yourselves.....
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 12:29:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

In message <cbv2tj$s97$1@titan.btinternet.com>, Gez
<gez.hartland@btinternet.com> writes
>If I think you are where you are, I got to it with a "leap" of faith,
>however
>I subsequently found the solution to be a little more "grating".
>
>See what I did there? Oh, please yourselves.....
>

Thanks! I could never make the leap work, but I went back down and
found a route an hour or so ago. I've decided to enter the Cradle with
max weaponry...

....which is not hard. I see now why the earlier games didn't let you
hoard weapons. If you're a sneaker and not keen on explosions, you run
out of stuff to buy fairly soon.
--
Terry Pratchett
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 12:29:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:29:43 +0100, Terry Pratchett

>...which is not hard. I see now why the earlier games didn't let you
>hoard weapons. If you're a sneaker and not keen on explosions, you run
>out of stuff to buy fairly soon.

The economy is a severely underdeveloped theme in the story. Garrett
should have the option of buying clothes, jewelry, fancy horses, good cuisine,
etc., etc., as well as just work-related stuff. He should be able to visit
casinos and play the slots. And there should be lots of different kind of noise
arrows. Maybe they could be programmable, the way ring tones in cell phones
are. Think of it: a noise arrow that would play "Mr. Tambourine Man" to the
guard while he searches. Kewl?

http://www.pobox.com/~hapgood
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 12:29:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Terry Pratchett <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes:

> ...which is not hard. I see now why the earlier games didn't let you
> hoard weapons. If you're a sneaker and not keen on explosions, you
> run out of stuff to buy fairly soon.

I rather liked that you had to use your equipment or lose it. In most
other sorts of games I hoard equipment, always thinking that there's
something even tougher coming up so I shouldn't waste my goods just
yet. But in thief 1&2 I'd just use my water arrows to make an easier
path rather than sneak around the long way, or use a gas arrow on a
single guard instead of saving it for a crowd.

--
Darin Johnson
My shoes are too tight, and I have forgotten how to dance -- Babylon 5
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 12:29:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Fred Hapgood <fhapgood@speakeasy.net> writes:

> Garrett should have the option of buying clothes, jewelry, fancy
> horses, good cuisine, etc.,

Quieter shoes, face masks, better cartographers...

--
Darin Johnson
My shoes are too tight, and I have forgotten how to dance -- Babylon 5
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 1:50:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Terry Pratchett" <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:hmWdptOnSx4AFAcV@unseen.demon.co.uk...
>
> Thanks! I could never make the leap work, but I went back down and
> found a route an hour or so ago. I've decided to enter the Cradle with
> max weaponry...
>

hehehehe ... as if that's going to do you any good ;-) Nah, never mind me -
I'm just teasing, and jealous that it's not I that is about to enter the
cradle for the first time :-D
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:30:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Terry Pratchett" <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> kirjoitti viestissä
news:1ZeomvKFGv4AFA9S@unseen.demon.co.uk...

> I mentioned the Cradle because from what I've heard it's surely going to
> be the death of me!

It was the most disturbing experience I've experienced in a long, long
while. It got under my skin, I'll tell you that much. At the same time I
loved it, while hating every second of it. As I said on the TTLG forums,
it's a stroke of mad genious. Not necessarily my favorite type of a
mission, but brilliant nonetheless. The stuff that nightmares are made of.

Let us know what you think of it.

- Mika L
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:30:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Terry Pratchett" <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> kirjoitti viestissä
news:1ZeomvKFGv4AFA9S@unseen.demon.co.uk...

> I mentioned the Cradle because from what I've heard it's surely going to
> be the death of me!

It was the most disturbing experience I've experienced in a long, long
while. It got under my skin, I'll tell you that much. At the same time I
loved it, while hating every second of it. As I said on the TTLG forums,
it's a stroke of mad genious. Not necessarily my favorite type of a
mission, but brilliant nonetheless. The stuff that nightmares are made of.

Let us know what you think of it.

- Mika L
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:30:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Man am I glad I played that level before everyone totally over hyped it.
It's a great level with a major creep factor but it wasn't so scary I was
pissing myself. However, by the hype in the forums you would think it was
the scariest thing since the ball bouncing down the stairs in The Changeling
(George C. Scott movie;) )
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:55:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:30:12 +0300, "Mika Latokartano"
<mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:

>
>"Terry Pratchett" <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> kirjoitti viestissä
>news:1ZeomvKFGv4AFA9S@unseen.demon.co.uk...
>
>> I mentioned the Cradle because from what I've heard it's surely going to
>> be the death of me!
>
>It was the most disturbing experience I've experienced in a long, long
>while. It got under my skin, I'll tell you that much. At the same time I
>loved it, while hating every second of it. As I said on the TTLG forums,
>it's a stroke of mad genious. Not necessarily my favorite type of a
>mission, but brilliant nonetheless. The stuff that nightmares are made of.
>
>Let us know what you think of it.
>
>- Mika L

I was disappointed by it really. It was built up to such a big degree
that I kept expecting it to be so terribly scary but when I was doing it,
my anticipation of it being scary was the biggest part of the atmosphere.
By itself, it was pretty weak. Give me real Haunts that chase you around
shouting "join us, join us, join us now!" any day.

*shrugs*

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
July 1, 2004 5:02:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

He already owns everything a thief could want.

Gas masks so he's not effected by Gas Arrows/Bombs.
Also protects him from moss arrows.

Lead lined shoes (for sound and so he can't swim).
Also so he doesn't slip on his own flaming oil slick

Spidey gloves (that aren't really gloves at all)
instead of those pesky Rope Arrows.

A magic blackjack that restores AI sight if they've been flashbombed.

Broadhead arrows that don't alert guards when they strike a surface 2 feet
away.

Tricked out Magic Zoom Eye.

Plus you can't see it but he's got a lot of bling under that tight S&M
outfit :) 

Fire-Cracker arrows.

3rd Person web-cam mounted on a rolling tripod behind him.

and so on...
I think he's got plenty :) 

Loony

"Fred Hapgood" <fhapgood@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
news:eb76e013g6trougopvknr7tjehpajj45og@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:29:43 +0100, Terry Pratchett
>
> >...which is not hard. I see now why the earlier games didn't let you
> >hoard weapons. If you're a sneaker and not keen on explosions, you run
> >out of stuff to buy fairly soon.
>
> The economy is a severely underdeveloped theme in the story. Garrett
> should have the option of buying clothes, jewelry, fancy horses, good
cuisine,
> etc., etc., as well as just work-related stuff. He should be able to
visit
> casinos and play the slots. And there should be lots of different kind of
noise
> arrows. Maybe they could be programmable, the way ring tones in cell
phones
> are. Think of it: a noise arrow that would play "Mr. Tambourine Man" to
the
> guard while he searches. Kewl?
>
> http://www.pobox.com/~hapgood
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 6:32:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Fred Hapgood wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:29:43 +0100, Terry Pratchett
>
>
>>...which is not hard. I see now why the earlier games didn't let you
>>hoard weapons. If you're a sneaker and not keen on explosions, you run
>>out of stuff to buy fairly soon.
>
>
> And there should be lots of different kind of noise
> arrows. Maybe they could be programmable, the way ring tones in cell phones
> are. Think of it: a noise arrow that would play "Mr. Tambourine Man" to the
> guard while he searches. Kewl?

I think my internal Thief-verse just committed suicide out of self
preservation.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 9:26:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 02:32:34 GMT, Canthlian <canthlian@sadlittlelook.com>
wrote:

>Fred Hapgood wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:29:43 +0100, Terry Pratchett
>>
>>
>>>...which is not hard. I see now why the earlier games didn't let you
>>>hoard weapons. If you're a sneaker and not keen on explosions, you run
>>>out of stuff to buy fairly soon.
>>
>>
>> And there should be lots of different kind of noise
>> arrows. Maybe they could be programmable, the way ring tones in cell phones
>> are. Think of it: a noise arrow that would play "Mr. Tambourine Man" to the
>> guard while he searches. Kewl?
>
>I think my internal Thief-verse just committed suicide out of self
>preservation.

I just want to catch mice and now those rust mites and toss them near
guards to cause distractions.

That and see what happens when you claw a guard with the climbing gloves.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 10:08:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> wrote in message news:<cu13c4cx06b.fsf@nokia.com>...
> Fred Hapgood <fhapgood@speakeasy.net> writes:
>
> > Garrett should have the option of buying clothes, jewelry, fancy
> > horses, good cuisine, etc.,
>
> Quieter shoes, face masks, better cartographers...

... I'd give 10000g for a GPS with decent maps.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 1:52:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"the churchwarden" <no@no.com> kirjoitti viestissä
news:40e34ce2$0$89430$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com...
> Man am I glad I played that level before everyone totally over hyped it.
> It's a great level with a major creep factor but it wasn't so scary I was
> pissing myself. However, by the hype in the forums you would think it was
> the scariest thing since the ball bouncing down the stairs in The
Changeling
> (George C. Scott movie;) )

(My newsreader was acting up yesterday -- sorry about double-posting my
previous comment in this thread. It wasn't intentional.)

Well, people experience it differently, I guess. It seriously freaked me
out. I don't know why, exactly, because I don't consider myself easily
scared, but it simply got to me. The most intense gaming experience for me,
ever. I liked the story of Cradle, and I think that's the main reason why
the whole experience felt so intense.

But I'm sure there're tougher taffers than me out there....

- Mika L
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 1:58:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

In message <cc0cco$aui$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>, Mika Latokartano
<mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> writes
> I liked the story of Cradle, and I think that's the main reason why
>the whole experience felt so intense.
>
>But I'm sure there're tougher taffers than me out there....
>
I think the 7th Crystal messed with my head quite a lot. That dark
nursery. Those letters. And you were *robbing this guy.

In the T3 Overlook level, am I the only person who didn't take the gold
from the chest? I felt sorry for the poor old biddy.

--
Terry Pratchett
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 1:58:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Terry Pratchett wrote:

> In the T3 Overlook level, am I the only person who didn't take the gold
> from the chest? I felt sorry for the poor old biddy.

I played that level pre-patch (hence Normal?), so it was easy avoiding
taking her money -- especially as I remembered Lady Elizabeth, and
suspected this lady might be a lot tougher underneath, especially as
she spotted me so easily ... and there was also that slight ambiguity if
Moira was a given name or a family name (pity about the Victrola
-- it destroyed that).

I'm retracing my steps after that can't-get-into-the-sunken-citadel
problem, and will soon have to decide again. Not sure what the key was
for, ... something required on Expert?

It's a nice 'problem' to leave in the game: should I or shouldn't I?
Unfortunately, the game's insistence on so much loot to pass a mission
undermines it a bit. There is no apparent reason for having that kind
of requirement any more (especially not the 'special loot' requirement)
-- leaving those out, but instead allowing the player to revisit old
missions (in so far it is possible) would probably be an improvement,
though some care would need to go into setting the scene for those
'second' visits.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
July 1, 2004 3:39:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Anders Thulin" <ath_no_spam_please@algonet.se> wrote in message
news:WYQEc.97381$dP1.323074@newsc.telia.net...
> Terry Pratchett wrote:
>
> > In the T3 Overlook level, am I the only person who didn't take the gold
> > from the chest? I felt sorry for the poor old biddy.
>
> I played that level pre-patch (hence Normal?), so it was easy avoiding
> taking her money --

You must have been playing in Normal (with or without the patch)
as it is impossible to collect 90% of the loot in that mission
without taking the widow's inheritance.
July 1, 2004 3:39:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Anders Thulin" <ath_no_spam_please@algonet.se> wrote in message
news:WYQEc.97381$dP1.323074@newsc.telia.net...
> Terry Pratchett wrote:
>
> > In the T3 Overlook level, am I the only person who didn't take the gold
> > from the chest? I felt sorry for the poor old biddy.
>
> I played that level pre-patch (hence Normal?), so it was easy avoiding
> taking her money --

You must have been playing in Normal (with or without the patch)
as it is impossible to collect 90% of the loot in that mission
without taking the widow's inheritance.
July 1, 2004 3:42:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Sorry for the unintentional double-post, my News Server is
playing silly games.
July 1, 2004 5:45:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Anders Thulin" <ath_no_spam_please@algonet.se> wrote in message
news:WYQEc.97381$dP1.323074@newsc.telia.net...
> Terry Pratchett wrote:
>
> > In the T3 Overlook level, am I the only person who didn't take the gold
> > from the chest? I felt sorry for the poor old biddy.
>
> I played that level pre-patch (hence Normal?), so it was easy avoiding
> taking her money --

You must have been playing in Normal (with or without the patch)
as it is impossible to collect 90% of the loot in that mission
without taking the widow's inheritance.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 1:29:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

srm_dfr@hotmail.com (eloj) writes:

> > Quieter shoes, face masks, better cartographers...
>
> ... I'd give 10000g for a GPS with decent maps.

I actually like the vague maps. Especially in Thief 1 and the
Bonehoard map (where I really wish Garret had a piece of chalk).
But the maps are incredibly good when you consider that they're
drawn by people who've never been inside the buildings they're
mapping or are relying on vague descriptions and fuzzy memories.

--
Darin Johnson
"Look here. There's a crop circle in my ficus!" -- The Tick
!