Need help finding Kodak printer dock...

Last response: in Digital Camera
November 29, 2004 8:00:25 AM

My parents have a Kodak DX-4300 camera we got them a couple years ago.
Not being overly technological people, they take a few pictures with it,
but don't do much with them after that (except maybe bring the camera to
me and get me to print the pics). For Christmas, we'd like to get them
the accompanying printer dock... unfortunately, the CX/DX-3000/4000
series cameras only work with the Printer Dock 4000, which is now
discontinued. They used to run around CDN$300 new, and not long ago I
saw several going on eBay for about $170 "Buy Now"... but unfortunately
waited too long and missed out; now all anyone's got are the 6000-series
docks, except a couple 4000s that are going for US$250+, which even with
the strong CDN$, comes out to more than a new one would cost, IF I could
find one...

So, here's hoping someone in these parts might have one they're not
needing anymore, or could suggest an online Canadian seller I could try,
or... any other suggestions?

I'm sure not paying $300 for one, as I can get a brand new 6000 *with*
4MP camera from Costco for $439...
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 8:00:26 AM

Matt Ion wrote:
> My parents have a Kodak DX-4300 camera we got them a couple years ago.
> Not being overly technological people, they take a few pictures with it,
> but don't do much with them after that (except maybe bring the camera to
> me and get me to print the pics). For Christmas, we'd like to get them
> the accompanying printer dock... unfortunately, the CX/DX-3000/4000
> series cameras only work with the Printer Dock 4000, which is now
> discontinued. They used to run around CDN$300 new, and not long ago I
> saw several going on eBay for about $170 "Buy Now"... but unfortunately
> waited too long and missed out; now all anyone's got are the 6000-series
> docks, except a couple 4000s that are going for US$250+, which even with
> the strong CDN$, comes out to more than a new one would cost, IF I could
> find one...
>
> So, here's hoping someone in these parts might have one they're not
> needing anymore, or could suggest an online Canadian seller I could try,
> or... any other suggestions?
>
> I'm sure not paying $300 for one, as I can get a brand new 6000 *with*
> 4MP camera from Costco for $439...

I think that is your best solution. You will end up with a better
camera, and better printer, too.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 8:25:12 AM

Matt Ion wrote:
> My parents have a Kodak DX-4300 camera we got them a couple years ago.
> Not being overly technological people, they take a few pictures with it,
> but don't do much with them after that (except maybe bring the camera to
> me and get me to print the pics). For Christmas, we'd like to get them
> the accompanying printer dock... unfortunately, the CX/DX-3000/4000
> series cameras only work with the Printer Dock 4000, which is now
> discontinued. They used to run around CDN$300 new, and not long ago I
> saw several going on eBay for about $170 "Buy Now"... but unfortunately
> waited too long and missed out; now all anyone's got are the 6000-series
> docks, except a couple 4000s that are going for US$250+, which even with
> the strong CDN$, comes out to more than a new one would cost, IF I could
> find one...
>
> So, here's hoping someone in these parts might have one they're not
> needing anymore, or could suggest an online Canadian seller I could try,
> or... any other suggestions?
>
> I'm sure not paying $300 for one, as I can get a brand new 6000 *with*
> 4MP camera from Costco for $439...

Hi...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1...

This one's about 50 canadian now; there's still a
couple of days left, though...

Ken
November 29, 2004 8:58:13 AM

Did this...
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-...
Got this....and a whole lot more...
http://www.qualitydigital.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog...

Its called Google folks...its weird...but they seem to know where everything
is in the damn world!

"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
> My parents have a Kodak DX-4300 camera we got them a couple years ago.
> Not being overly technological people, they take a few pictures with it,
> but don't do much with them after that (except maybe bring the camera to
> me and get me to print the pics). For Christmas, we'd like to get them
> the accompanying printer dock... unfortunately, the CX/DX-3000/4000
> series cameras only work with the Printer Dock 4000, which is now
> discontinued. They used to run around CDN$300 new, and not long ago I
> saw several going on eBay for about $170 "Buy Now"... but unfortunately
> waited too long and missed out; now all anyone's got are the 6000-series
> docks, except a couple 4000s that are going for US$250+, which even with
> the strong CDN$, comes out to more than a new one would cost, IF I could
> find one...
>
> So, here's hoping someone in these parts might have one they're not
> needing anymore, or could suggest an online Canadian seller I could try,
> or... any other suggestions?
>
> I'm sure not paying $300 for one, as I can get a brand new 6000 *with*
> 4MP camera from Costco for $439...

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:46:16 AM

Ken Weitzel wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1...
>

> This one's about 50 canadian now; there's still a
> couple of days left, though...

Yeah, I did that search... problem is, this seller has no "Buy It Now"
price, and so far they've all approached or passed US$200 by the time
the auction is over :(
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:55:50 AM

Yeah, done that search too... remember that little word "Canadian" in my
post? Apparently Google doesn't understand the significance of it,
because 95% of the hits I ever get when including it end up being
US-based sellers anyway, many of whom don't ship to Canada, or don't
warranty in Canada, or don't accept Canadian credit cards, etc. etc.
(your shoppingcartsplus.com link even has a special page listing
specific limitations and extra charges for Canadian customers -
http://www.qualitydigital.shoppingcartsplus.com/page/pa...)

I was going on the assumption that humanoids had slightly more
intelligent parsing abilities to know that that "Canadian" factor was
kinda critical.

My fault for assuming, I guess.

(I don't want to know where everything is in the damn world, only within
the second-largest damn country thereof... Google doesn't understand that).

Gene Palmiter wrote:

> Did this...
> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-...
> Got this....and a whole lot more...
> http://www.qualitydigital.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog...
>
> Its called Google folks...its weird...but they seem to know where everything
> is in the damn world!
>
> "Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
>
>>My parents have a Kodak DX-4300 camera we got them a couple years ago.
>>Not being overly technological people, they take a few pictures with it,
>>but don't do much with them after that (except maybe bring the camera to
>>me and get me to print the pics). For Christmas, we'd like to get them
>>the accompanying printer dock... unfortunately, the CX/DX-3000/4000
>>series cameras only work with the Printer Dock 4000, which is now
>>discontinued. They used to run around CDN$300 new, and not long ago I
>>saw several going on eBay for about $170 "Buy Now"... but unfortunately
>>waited too long and missed out; now all anyone's got are the 6000-series
>>docks, except a couple 4000s that are going for US$250+, which even with
>>the strong CDN$, comes out to more than a new one would cost, IF I could
>>find one...
>>
>>So, here's hoping someone in these parts might have one they're not
>>needing anymore, or could suggest an online Canadian seller I could try,
>>or... any other suggestions?
>>
>>I'm sure not paying $300 for one, as I can get a brand new 6000 *with*
>>4MP camera from Costco for $439...

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 11:20:34 AM

By the way, before anyone else suggests it... I did a search for "Kodak
printer dock 4000" on google.ca - allegedly a Canadian-oriented flavor
of Google.

The first non-sponsored hit is for amazon.com, who don't ship to Canada,
and they list the 4000 as discontinued and not available.

The second hit is a FAQ from kodak.com (not kodak.ca).

The next two are reviews from a couple of different UK(!!) sites.

Next is a review from PcPhotoReview.com, a US-based site as near as I
can tell.

Following that are two more reviews, one from another UK site, one from
shopping.yahoo.com.

Finally there's a seller listing - superwarehouse.com, a US site, yet
again - with no Canadian purchasing/shipping info anywhere except a
non-toll-free number for "International orders".

After that are several more reviews, many once again from UK websites...

The Sponsored links, btw, are all either the same eBay searches, US
online retailers, or a ca.pricegrabber.com, a Canadian version of the
price-comparison site, which returns no hits at all.

So much for Google.CA.

This is why I ask here, hoping someone with half a brain will have some
useful information, other than the equivalent of "RTFM".

Matt Ion wrote:
> Yeah, done that search too... remember that little word "Canadian" in my
> post? Apparently Google doesn't understand the significance of it,
> because 95% of the hits I ever get when including it end up being
> US-based sellers anyway, many of whom don't ship to Canada, or don't
> warranty in Canada, or don't accept Canadian credit cards, etc. etc.
> (your shoppingcartsplus.com link even has a special page listing
> specific limitations and extra charges for Canadian customers -
> http://www.qualitydigital.shoppingcartsplus.com/page/pa...)
>
> I was going on the assumption that humanoids had slightly more
> intelligent parsing abilities to know that that "Canadian" factor was
> kinda critical.
>
> My fault for assuming, I guess.
>
> (I don't want to know where everything is in the damn world, only within
> the second-largest damn country thereof... Google doesn't understand that).
>
> Gene Palmiter wrote:
>
>> Did this...
>> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-...
>>
>> Got this....and a whole lot more...
>> http://www.qualitydigital.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog...
>>

>> Its called Google folks...its weird...but they seem to know where
>> everything
>> is in the damn world!
>>
>> "Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> My parents have a Kodak DX-4300 camera we got them a couple years ago.
>>> Not being overly technological people, they take a few pictures with it,
>>> but don't do much with them after that (except maybe bring the camera to
>>> me and get me to print the pics). For Christmas, we'd like to get them
>>> the accompanying printer dock... unfortunately, the CX/DX-3000/4000
>>> series cameras only work with the Printer Dock 4000, which is now
>>> discontinued. They used to run around CDN$300 new, and not long ago I
>>> saw several going on eBay for about $170 "Buy Now"... but unfortunately
>>> waited too long and missed out; now all anyone's got are the 6000-series
>>> docks, except a couple 4000s that are going for US$250+, which even with
>>> the strong CDN$, comes out to more than a new one would cost, IF I could
>>> find one...
>>>
>>> So, here's hoping someone in these parts might have one they're not
>>> needing anymore, or could suggest an online Canadian seller I could try,
>>> or... any other suggestions?
>>>
>>> I'm sure not paying $300 for one, as I can get a brand new 6000 *with*
>>> 4MP camera from Costco for $439...

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:25:32 PM

It's hard to put myself in your shoes...not living in a third world country
as you do I have never been told that I cannot get something because there
are not roads to my town. Seems that someone would have found a way to
search for Canadian firms. I have worked on some shipping to asia and the
forms are a pain. How hard is it to ship to Canada? I think it would
fustrate me too.

As for second largest...who cares? It's population that counts to
marketers....trees and moose don't purchase off the internet.

Hey! Wait a minute...that page you sent me doesn't say you can get it...it
say how you can. Just do what it says.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 11:35:56 PM

Gene Palmiter wrote:
> It's hard to put myself in your shoes...not living in a third world country
> as you do I have never been told that I cannot get something because there

Hmmm. Third world country?

Is this why the usa is the most admired, beloved, and
respected nation on earth?

Or - wait a minute - am I mistaken ?
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 11:42:07 PM

Matt Ion wrote:
> Ken Weitzel wrote:
>
>> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1...
>>

>> This one's about 50 canadian now; there's still a
>> couple of days left, though...
>

> Yeah, I did that search... problem is, this seller has no "Buy It Now"
> price, and so far they've all approached or passed US$200 by the time
> the auction is over :(

You might try asking in rec.photo.marketplace.digital
and see if there's any available.

Also, unless you've already done it; you could look in
the (your city).forsale groups. (I checked winnipeg's for
you; there are none here)

Good luck.

Ken
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 4:41:34 AM

Ken Weitzel wrote:

> Also, unless you've already done it; you could look in
> the (your city).forsale groups. (I checked winnipeg's for
> you; there are none here)

None in van.forsale either.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 4:43:49 AM

Gene Palmiter wrote:

> It's hard to put myself in your shoes...not living in a third world country
> as you do I have never been told that I cannot get something because there
> are not roads to my town. Seems that someone would have found a way to
> search for Canadian firms. I have worked on some shipping to asia and the
> forms are a pain. How hard is it to ship to Canada? I think it would
> fustrate me too.

It's NOT hard to ship from the US to Canada... nonetheless, many
American retailers simply refuse to do it. Many also don't accept
Canadian credit cards (you'd think a Visa is a Visa is a Visa,
especially with all their ads about places around the world that "only"
accept Visa, but nope...)
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 4:44:39 AM

Ron Hunter wrote:

>> I'm sure not paying $300 for one, as I can get a brand new 6000 *with*
>> 4MP camera from Costco for $439...
>>

> I think that is your best solution. You will end up with a better
> camera, and better printer, too.

Aside from the minor issue that I *don't have* over $400 to drop on a
Christmas gift...
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 7:23:58 AM

Matt Ion wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>>> I'm sure not paying $300 for one, as I can get a brand new 6000
>>> *with* 4MP camera from Costco for $439...
>>>

>> I think that is your best solution. You will end up with a better
>> camera, and better printer, too.
>

> Aside from the minor issue that I *don't have* over $400 to drop on a
> Christmas gift...

I understand, but you did mention it as an option. Perhaps regular
trips to Wal-Mart/Sam's to print from the flash card will work for now.
It's what I do if I want prints.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 7:34:44 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Matt Ion wrote:

>>> I think that is your best solution. You will end up with a better
>>> camera, and better printer, too.
>>

>> Aside from the minor issue that I *don't have* over $400 to drop on a
>> Christmas gift...
>

> I understand, but you did mention it as an option.

Not as an option... only to illustrate why paying upwards $300 (original
retail) for the 4000 is not attractive.

> Perhaps regular
> trips to Wal-Mart/Sam's to print from the flash card will work for now.
> It's what I do if I want prints.

Like I said, these are not technologically savvy people; these are
people who don't even care that the VCR has been flashing "12:00" for
years. There's already an HP photoprinter in the house, one with card
slots that will print directly from the Kodak's CS card... this is
beyond both their comprehension, and the time to attempt to learn it.
Travelling to the nearest mall to get prints done is more trouble than
it worth. Dropping the camera on the dock and hitting "Print" is about
all they can handle.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 7:34:45 PM

Matt Ion wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> Matt Ion wrote:

>>> Aside from the minor issue that I *don't have* over $400 to drop on a
>>> Christmas gift...
>>

>> I understand, but you did mention it as an option.
>

> Not as an option... only to illustrate why paying upwards $300 (original
> retail) for the 4000 is not attractive.
>
>> Perhaps regular trips to Wal-Mart/Sam's to print from the flash card
>> will work for now.
>> It's what I do if I want prints.
>

> Like I said, these are not technologically savvy people; these are
> people who don't even care that the VCR has been flashing "12:00" for
> years. There's already an HP photoprinter in the house, one with card
> slots that will print directly from the Kodak's CS card... this is
> beyond both their comprehension, and the time to attempt to learn it.
> Travelling to the nearest mall to get prints done is more trouble than
> it worth. Dropping the camera on the dock and hitting "Print" is about
> all they can handle.

Gee, how did they ever manage to put film in a film camera?
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 10:27:06 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:
[]
>> Like I said, these are not technologically savvy people; these are
>> people who don't even care that the VCR has been flashing "12:00" for
>> years. There's already an HP photoprinter in the house, one with
>> card slots that will print directly from the Kodak's CS card... this
>> is beyond both their comprehension, and the time to attempt to learn
>> it. Travelling to the nearest mall to get prints done is more
>> trouble than it worth. Dropping the camera on the dock and hitting
>> "Print" is about all they can handle.
>
> Gee, how did they ever manage to put film in a film camera?

That's what the boy at the shop does....

David
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 10:27:07 PM

David J Taylor wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
> []
>
>>>Like I said, these are not technologically savvy people; these are
>>>people who don't even care that the VCR has been flashing "12:00" for
>>>years. There's already an HP photoprinter in the house, one with
>>>card slots that will print directly from the Kodak's CS card... this
>>>is beyond both their comprehension, and the time to attempt to learn
>>>it. Travelling to the nearest mall to get prints done is more
>>>trouble than it worth. Dropping the camera on the dock and hitting
>>>"Print" is about all they can handle.
>>
>>Gee, how did they ever manage to put film in a film camera?
>

> That's what the boy at the shop does....
>
> David

It's a wonder people like that can find their way home when they go to
the grocery store.... Sigh.
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 12:01:08 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> I understand, but you did mention it as an option.
>>

>> Not as an option... only to illustrate why paying upwards $300
>> (original retail) for the 4000 is not attractive.
>>
>>> Perhaps regular trips to Wal-Mart/Sam's to print from the flash card
>>> will work for now.
>>> It's what I do if I want prints.
>>

>> Like I said, these are not technologically savvy people; these are
>> people who don't even care that the VCR has been flashing "12:00" for
>> years. There's already an HP photoprinter in the house, one with card
>> slots that will print directly from the Kodak's CS card... this is
>> beyond both their comprehension, and the time to attempt to learn it.
>> Travelling to the nearest mall to get prints done is more trouble than
>> it worth. Dropping the camera on the dock and hitting "Print" is
>> about all they can handle.
>

> Gee, how did they ever manage to put film in a film camera?

Putting the film in was never a problem.

Getting it developed anytime within two years of finishing the roll is
another matter...
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 12:01:09 PM

Matt Ion wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> Matt Ion wrote:

>>> Not as an option... only to illustrate why paying upwards $300
>>> (original retail) for the 4000 is not attractive.

>>> Like I said, these are not technologically savvy people; these are
>>> people who don't even care that the VCR has been flashing "12:00" for
>>> years. There's already an HP photoprinter in the house, one with
>>> card slots that will print directly from the Kodak's CS card... this
>>> is beyond both their comprehension, and the time to attempt to learn
>>> it. Travelling to the nearest mall to get prints done is more trouble
>>> than it worth. Dropping the camera on the dock and hitting "Print"
>>> is about all they can handle.
>>

>> Gee, how did they ever manage to put film in a film camera?
>

> Putting the film in was never a problem.
>
> Getting it developed anytime within two years of finishing the roll is
> another matter...

Yeah, that's another reason I switched from film. No more wasted film
because I didn't finish off a roll....
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 4:02:38 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> []

>>> Gee, how did they ever manage to put film in a film camera?
>>

>> That's what the boy at the shop does....
>>
>> David
>>

> It's a wonder people like that can find their way home when they go to
> the grocery store.... Sigh.

Taxi?
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 1:35:06 PM

Hi Matt,

That printer is out of production and no longer being offered, as you know.
But, you may get lucky by looking for one on the website. Since the Printer
Dock Plus is Pictbridge compatible and will work with cameras that have that
feature, they will have future compatibility. Of course any printer will
print from the computer, but since you have an EasyShare camera, EasyShare
should allow them to print very easily without much trouble or fuss.

As far as finding a printer, keep your eye on eBay and other similar sites.
Also try a review of the - computer.periphs.printers - newsgroup. You may
get some leads there as well. Good luck, let me know if you have questions
in the future.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

!