I7-3770k OC'ing, Need help asap :P

JonCeles

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
So I've been fooling around lately with my i7-3770k running on the MSI Z771-G41. I want to at least overclock my i7-3770k to 4.0ghz... This is the story...

Two days ago I decided to try and OC the i7-3770k with the Hyper 212 Evo. After 10-20 minutes of Prime 95, it gave me temps of 70c, 72c, 68c, and 74c. So I decided to do some research and I found out that the i7 3770k runs hot... But the funny thing was that all of the tests that these other people did were at 4.5.ghz.... I started to wonder why is it that my temps are so high for only 4.0ghz?

I called cooler master and they said that I could of applied the thermal paste wrong. Incorrect, I applied it just fine and it was a smooth layer across the chip. The heat sink was extremely tight, and the core voltage was around 1.28/1.3 through core temp.

I DID NOT CHANGE THE VOLTAGE MYSELF, THE BIOS DOES IT FOR ME.

They decided to ask me to return the Cooler Master Evo...

Since then I've been using the stock cooler....

I also ran some tests with the stock cooler, and somehow it runs at around 68-72c max load... @ 4.0ghz

Is that stable enough? and what cooler should I purchase for under $80? Thanks....

nna2

Distinguished
Noctua NH-D14 is really good for under $80, if the Hyper 212 EVO was giving the same temps as the stock cooler, you must have done somthing wrong setting it up, so just remember to apply only a pea sized amount of thermal paste to the middle of the cpu heat spreader, and with some coolers you can apply too much pressure (which i think effects the NH-D14)