Sign in with
Your question

Has anyone seen and good mobo/cpu bundle deals?

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2010 7:28:39 AM

Hey guys , building a new system right now but having a hard time finding a great deal on a cpu/mobo in canada.

im on a budget so AMD.

bundle deals are usually good and ive been trying to find one. Has anyone noticed anything good?

i only need 1 PCI-E 16X slot.

ncix has some cool AMD bundles that come with CODMW2 but the processor/mobo combos there offering arnt ideal.

If anyone has seen any killer deals lemme know. Thanks.

Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2010 3:34:46 PM
a c 113 à CPUs
March 5, 2010 3:46:17 PM

Not necessarily true. Newegg.ca have bundles as well, but they often are different than the ones offered at Newegg.com.

Bundles are not always as good as they seem; parts for the one suggested by batuchka ($156.98 in Canada) can be bought for $143.90 from DirectCanada and the OP wouldn't have to pay PST if he doesn't live in BC. In other words, the OP can save $25 more if he doesn't buy the bundle from Newegg.ca.
m
l
March 5, 2010 3:46:55 PM

Yea kinda amazes me how the Canada Newegg does not have near as much stuff available.
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
March 5, 2010 3:50:00 PM

osu43130 said:
Yea kinda amazes me how the Canada Newegg does not have near as much stuff available.
The market isn't the same and they can't carry as much stock. Besides Newegg often isn't the least expensive store in Canada.
m
l
March 5, 2010 4:11:18 PM

Guess I just expected it to be more similar in what they have to offer. Example I was looking for U3S6 boards the other day for someone and they had NONE......

Just little things like that I guess.
m
l
March 5, 2010 5:38:42 PM

so nobody really knows about any deals in canada?? :( 
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2010 5:40:57 PM
March 5, 2010 5:50:00 PM

It's not technically a bundle but yesterday I was able to get a ASRock M3A785GXH/128M AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX

and a Phenom II X2 555 Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core for $200 (US). I plan on unlocking the two dormant cores and overclocking the CPU by about 400mhz, turning this into a Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb. I think that this is the best CPU / mobo combo for the money around right now. Definately give them both a looksee.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2010 5:54:54 PM

I'll just go ahead and say I am not a fan of ASRock. Yes, they are cheap. However, cheap usually equals poor quality. As for unlocking cores, you're not garaunteed to be able to unlock extra cores and still have a stable system.

Also, that's on Newegg.com. OP's in Canada.
m
l
March 5, 2010 6:01:13 PM

MadAdmiral said:
I'll just go ahead and say I am not a fan of ASRock. Yes, they are cheap. However, cheap usually equals poor quality. As for unlocking cores, you're not garaunteed to be able to unlock extra cores and still have a stable system.

Also, that's on Newegg.com. OP's in Canada.

Yea I just sent the links for reference, the prices on newegg are market value so I figured he could find something comparable at his local retailer.

I too was a bit put off by the thought of buying ASUS's "budget" brand but then I read a favorable review of the mobo here on Tom's and decided to take the leap. My fingers are crossed that my optimism pays off.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2010 6:04:25 PM

The problem is that the reviews can't test longevity. A lot of testing sites like ASRock because they're cheap and can be used to push a system to their limits. People who rebuild a lot tend to like them because they're cheap. It amkes it less painful to replace them sooner.

However, if you're building a system for additonal features, stability and longevity, I would stick to the major brands (Asus, Gigabyte, and sometimes MSI).
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
March 5, 2010 7:15:28 PM

I bought an ASRock motherboard several years ago to build a PC for my son and it still works fine. It definitely wasn't the best for overclocking, but it met the requirements. I wouldn't say that their longevity is necessarily less than Asus.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2010 7:21:44 PM

I'm not saying that will be true for all boards, but that's the general idea. I just tend to avoid them altogether because Gigabyte and Asus have great boards with better features that aren't too expensive.
m
l
March 5, 2010 8:08:37 PM

sean1986 said:
Hey guys , building a new system right now but having a hard time finding a great deal on a cpu/mobo in canada.

im on a budget so AMD.

bundle deals are usually good and ive been trying to find one. Has anyone noticed anything good?

i only need 1 PCI-E 16X slot.

ncix has some cool AMD bundles that come with CODMW2 but the processor/mobo combos there offering arnt ideal.

If anyone has seen any killer deals lemme know. Thanks.

newegg now has a 790fx-gd 70 msi and an amd phenom for about $170.00, get it!!!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2010 8:13:31 PM

Link?

That boad itself is $168. I highly doubt they're selling a CPU for $2...

This is the cheapest MSI 790FX-GD70 and CPU combo. It's $308.

All of that's on the US side too...
m
l
March 5, 2010 11:40:05 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Budget?

The new 890GX boards are in combos with a lot of AM3 processors: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H.

This is my favorite 1 PCIe slot board, and it's also in a combo with just about every AM3 CPU: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3.

The Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 sounds good but i dont think it supports ddr3 1600?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2010 11:45:52 PM

Yes. It supports RAM at up to 1866 mhz. It defaults the RAM to either 1333 mhz or 1066 mhz until set manually.
m
l
!