GIGA mobos reduce PCI E lanes to 8x , what about ASUS ?

8Vidia

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Hi people , as peolpe say :
ASUS mobos dont touch the VGA PCI e lanes when they have USB 3.0 , BUT GIGA mobos Reduce PCIE LANE to 8x ( which means slows done the VGA card )

I dont know it means that ASUS make VGA cards work faster ? but Because GIGABYTE mobos reduce PCIE LANES they make VGA cards work slower

Questions about ASUS & GIGA MOBOS are these:

1.do they make difference in Performance of VGA cards
2. if yes , then , when does that Performance Drop happens ? while using USB 3.0 ?

3. after all , which one makes better place for VGA cards , & let them to fully get used ?( for example ATI 5850 ) .

Hi.

1- For Crossfire or SLI u won't say any performance difference when the umlti GPU is do it @x8.
2- When this happen u can't use USB 3.0 since is downgrade to USB 2.0 but the multi GPU performs the same
3- Both are very good and that problem only happen with some old mobo revision but not with all, just get the best specifications for ur budget.

8Vidia

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
ok here s the thing :
1.I gonna use ONLY one 5850 , so do i gonna see difference ?
2.i choosed these mobos based on the Budget that i planed for new rig , are they good ? which of them ?

1. GA P55A UD3
2. ASUS - P7P55D-E
3. GA-P55A-USB 3

Just cant go for more expensive , & performance of VGA is too important , Please help me get beast of them , & tell me how much is the difference between each of them ( by saying this i mean that these 3 mobos are to similar or too much difference ? )

There's no way to properly answer your questions as stated; you need to compare similar Architectures {1366, 1156, AM3}. This is not what Gigabyte or ASUS decided amongst themselves, it is a chipset architectural disparity issue.

So which Architecture are you comparing H/W implementation? And then know the choices are based upon chipset.

8Vidia

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
1.Ok i got answer 1 , but didnt undertand u mean if i use USB 3.0 giga mobo i better use SLI & if i get single VGA card then i will see performance hit or something ?

2, answer two is accepted , what about the difference between those 3 mobos , do those 2 mobos have MUCH difference with ASUS mobo ?

8Vidia

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
let me CLEAR this , is this right ?
Single VGA + GIGA USB 3.0 Mobo = bad working
DUAL VGA card + GIGA USB 3.0 mobo = good working
Single or Dual VGA + USB 3.0 ASUS mobo = good working

1- I mean that USB 3.0 isn't affected when u use a single GPU independent of the mobo Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI or other one.
2- Not really much, but the ASUS has more PCI slot and better phases power regulation for the CPU and NB that the Gigabyte.

Now regarding to the 2nd post.

1- Sigle VGA + Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI or other USB 3.0 = Works without problems.
2- Dual VGA + Gigabyte USB 3.0 = Could be affected, depends of the mobo specifications and revision of it.
3- Dual VGA + ASUS USB 3.0 = Works without problem

This is all interesting, but not really correct. As I attempted to illuminate earlier you need to pick (1) chipset to have any form of coherent discussions on "How PCIe bandwidth is scaled or splits PCIe bandwidth with USB 3 or SATA3 and how it is effected." Also, even a GTX 480 doesn't saturate an x8.

Socket + Chipsets:
1366 {X58}
1156 {P55, H55, H57, Q57}
AM3 {890GX, 890FX, 880G, 870, 790GX, 790FX, 790X, 785G, 770, 760G, 740G + GeForce 7025, nForce 630a, nForce 520LE}

ANS - The least effected is the X58/1366, next 1156 {all have some form of shared bandwidth and different/available scalings}, and last the AM3 {similar in many ways to the 1156}.

Regarding, "VGA" GPUs I tend to prefer either EVGA or ASUS, and occasionally MSI. EVGA keeps to nVidia's {spec} building the best overall.

X58 3-WAY {x16/x8/x8}; typical ASUS + EVGA // 3-WAY {x8/x8/x8} Gigabyte + MSI

However, the following scaling link is very illuminating - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_480_PCI-Express_Scaling/7.html

8Vidia

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Ok thanks alot , u know , i can choose ASUS mobo but I realy Realy dont know if i gonna lose something from GIGA mobos or not .

SO ur saying that i gonna be fine with both ASUS & GIGA mobos if i only plan to use SINGLE 5850 . NO ?

In some parts u say that single vga will work fine with ASUS GIGA & MSI ( just like they have no difference for 5850 working shape ) But in some part u say that ASUS is better , i realy wanna know if ASUS doesnt Reduce lanes to 8X & keeps it to 16 , it takes something else ( do worse thing )

I REALY REALY CONFUSED ! OH MAN < WHY GIGA SHOULD DO SUCH PERFORMANCE HITING FOR VGA CARDS ? why it reduce to 8X , is it big thing ?

8Vidia

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Thanks , can u say what i gonna lose if i gonna have to go for GIGA ( budget Limitaion ) , i realy wanna get most Abilities , best speed & performance , fast transfer rate & full VGA & CPU usage with no Performance drop .

i dont know if reducing to 8X is big matter or not ?!?!

ANY of the MOBO are perfectly GOOD with ONE GPU. You can pretty much do it blind folded; I still prefer ASUS for 1156 or EVGA for 1366; both are great for OC. The ASUS ADDS an extra +2 Phases for power.

The scaling speaks for itself, and the FASTER the CPU + RAM = HIGHER FPS.

8Vidia

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Thanks a lot , just last thing : what if i dont OC , CF , SLI ?
u know why i like GA P55A UD3 because it has Gigabyte 333 Onboard Acceleration
, & i think its great technology , Does ASUS Mobo have that abilities or similar ?

I realy wanna get Best Possible option from those 3 , & think ASUS is good , but i should first make sure it is faster & better than UD3 . if it is then i will go for ASUS for SURE .

8Vidia

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
I cant go with PRO , its expensive , i cant go higher than ASUS P7P55D-E or P55 USB 3.0 or P55 UD3 . its MAX budget i can pay for MOBO , because rest of things or on the way for NEW RIG .

I don't currently recommend any Gigabyte MOBO except the UD9, but if I had to choose then GA-P55A-UD3 only because of the SATA3 {essentially the only reason}, and hopefully you don't require FireWire. Also, as stated above, the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro or GA-P55A-UD4P.

Also, if you will NEVER CF then that opens up a much larger selection, my preference is SLI as the better choice for a multi-GPU configuration.

I personally would prefer the GTX 470 over the HD 5850 in most circumstances. I have a CF and SLI setup and "I can never learn" myself - but the ATI's H/W {stability, lifespan, drivers, etc} is inferior to that of the nVidia {my years of experience with both}.

My opinion both the GTX 470 ≈ HD 5850. Further, I prefer PhysX games so there's no other choice but the nVidia. To complicate it more NOT all GTX 470 or HD 5850 identical and you SHOULD read the spec fine print!
Scaling article - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-scaling,2742-10.html
dirt2.png

Total%201920.png

8Vidia

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
I dont think that this question gonna have a good answer so i just gonna ask it :

Can GA-P55A-UD3 run Vga cards at 16X ( is it able )to run at 16X for example 5850 ? ) because if single 5850 runs at 8X it will have a difference with 16X runed 5850 .