Old PSU burned out, bought a new one, system not working.

Dropsonic

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Greetings

A few weeks ago, I heard a suspicious noise which seemed to originate from the power supply of my computer. A few days later, a glow emitted from the power supply, the computer shut down, and I was not able to power it on again. I assumed that the power supply burned out, and that I could fix it by simply replacing the old, fried unit with a new one.

Today I bought a new power supply, connected it, made sure all the connections were correct, and verified that the green motherboard LED was on. However, the computer would not start. I am beginning to worry that more than the old power supply was fried in the incident.

What do I do?

Thanks in advance.

What PSU did you have? What PSU did you buy? What's in the system? To help at all, we need to know the exact parts in the computer.

Have you gone through the standard troubleshooting sticky (link in my signature)? If not, go there and do EVERY step. DO NOT SKIP any of them, as they all have something they are testing. After doing ALL of the steps, come back with any changes.

Are you getting any beep codes from the board?

I would say the odds are good that the PSU took something with it. Likely the board or GPU (if connected by a PCIe power connection).

Dropsonic

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
What PSU did you have? What PSU did you buy? What's in the system? To help at all, we need to know the exact parts in the computer.

Have you gone through the standard troubleshooting sticky (link in my signature)? If not, go there and do EVERY step. DO NOT SKIP any of them, as they all have something they are testing. After doing ALL of the steps, come back with any changes.

Are you getting any beep codes from the board?

I would say the odds are good that the PSU took something with it. Likely the board or GPU (if connected by a PCIe power connection).

Thanks for the response :)

I bought the computer about 4 years ago. It came with an Antec 450 Watts PSU.

The new PSU that i bought, is a Corsair 750 Watts.

As for the parts in my computer :

Asus P5Q SE Motherboard

GeForce 7900GS GPU

Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU

2 GB's Corsair ram

A 500 GB's samsung HDD

I went through the standard troubleshooting sticky, and no changes have occured.

No beep codes from the board, since i, unfortunately, chose to remove the speaker.

Dropsonic

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
As i said, i went through all of the things mentioned in the trouble shooting sticky :)

Yes, it's connected. I double checked, replugged it and still nothing's changed.