Best reasonably priced am3 socket cooling fan

zeppman

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hey guys,

Just wanted a quick opinion on what everyone prefers for a reasonably priced cooler for the am3 socket. From what I've read, I can use cooling fans built for am2, am2+ sockets? is that correct?

Thanks for your opinions.

zeppman

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
That looks like a good one, thank you. I see some newegg reviews stated it is loud and hard to install (although others claimed it was the quietest fan they have used)...

What is your experience?

tecmo34

Administrator
My experince it was easy to install. You just have to remove the standard generic AM3 bracket on the motherboard and install the required retaining back bracket and bolts. After that it is pretty much like any other HSF.

I have not had issues with noise with the Hyper 212+ fan. It isn't any louder than any other fan in the case, including the GPU fans.

I would suggest the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

Comparable cooling and price to the Hyper 212, but a little quieter. It also uses the stock backplate which makes installation a load easier with an already installed board and saves a step on a new install. It also has a 6 year warranty to the 212's 1 year.

Hey guys you should make sure the OP has a case that will fit those big coolers before he goes out and buys it.

And to the OP the reviews on newegg should really not even be looked at I have seen people bash perfectly good products just because they either are idiots or just like to be A$$es

Good point. OP, make sure the big cpu cooler I/we recommend fit in your case before purchase please.

Newegg reviews are not worthless, they are entertaining. So many stupid people in one place. You know what I mean.

The guy who blows out 3 95 watt AMD MBs by OCing a 140 watt processor and then blames the board, or the person who says his cpu and/or MB were defective when he just needed a bios update. Or the guy who gave 4 sticks of 1066 ram (on a phenom which only supports 2 sticks at 1066) a bad review because it wouldn't run at 1066. MB/cpu blew up and must be crap, while using a deer PSU. There is no end to their incompetence. And they ALWAYS rate themselves VERY HIGH tech knowledge.

EDIT: ---I have to include the idiot who took a star off a phenom X2 cpu that wouldn't unlock extra cores because the MOTHERBOARD advertised unlocking! He even admitted that AMD advertised no such feature and STILL docked them.