Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Graphics Cards
  • Compatibility
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2010 10:54:58 AM

Hi All.

My current system Comprises an Intel DP35DP Mainboard, Core2 Duo E6550 Processor, 4 Gigs of RAM and Nvidia 8500GT Graphics Card, running on Windows Vista 32. I want to upgrade to Win 7 / 64 and decided to uopgrade my hardware at the same time. I thought I would do the following, Swap CPU for Core2 Quad Q9650, add 4 more Gigs of RAM, and swap GPU for Nvidia GTS 250. My question is this. Is the GTS 250 compatible with DP35DP Motherboard? MB has PCI-E slot but GTS 250 is PCI2-E compatible. Will the card work and if so will the card be slowed by the PCI-E slot? If the answer is yes what other GPU card would you recommend?

Thanks

Dave

More about : graphic card compatibility

Best solution

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 3:04:08 PM

With the amount of money your spending, I would consider doing a full upgrade (new board, RAM, CPU, GPU). It's sounds like you have a fairly good budget for the upgrade, and would probably get more value from getting a current board and DDR3 RAM. You might want to post your budget for the full upgrade and some other information (see the guidelines in the link in my signature). My bet is that we can put together a great current build for you.
March 5, 2010 7:06:18 PM

I think you are right. I am considering the following system that uses my existing case, PSU and drives. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard, Intel i7 920 CPU, 4 x DDR3 1333 RAM chips. I will use my existing GPU card (Nividia 8500GT) for now and upgrade at a later date.

My main PC usage is general office work plus lots of photo batch processing and editing (CS4). What do you think of this system?

Thanks

Dave
m
l
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 7:12:57 PM

That would be decent. If you're in the US, you should definitely get the i7-930 instead, as it's only $10 more. Make sure to get CAS Latency 7 sticks of RAM.
m
l
March 12, 2010 1:35:45 AM

Best answer selected by backeberg.
m
l
!