kontrol

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I'm buying a i7 930, and would like to put Artic Silver on it. I was told that It dissepate (Pretty sure it's not the good spelling) the heat beter than other Compound or Thermal pad.

With the 930, is it a thermal pad or compound? If it's compound I guess it not on the processor already?.

Also am I searching for Compound or something else

1. With the 930 is it a themal pad or compound?
2. If it's compound, the compound is not on the processor when it ship (Gotta know If I want to buy remover)
3. Is it compound that I want to put on my processor or it's called something else.
4. Which Artic Silver product is the best. I saw so many brand that I don't know what to choose from.

kontrol

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
It says that IC Diamond takes 2 hours to achieve peak performance. Is that better than the Artic Silver?

And what is the difference between ceramique thermal compound and thermal compound.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Arctic Silver takes MONTHS to achieve peak performance, though we are talking 2-3c so nothing major...

Ceramique performs better then metal based, like Arctic Silver 5, and is non-conductive.

IC Diamond has all the benefits of Ceramique, but is the highest performing thermal compound on the market, albeit not by anything huge. Just get it, the price isn't much higher.

Pads are horrible, FYI, and don't work NEARLY as well as well applied thermal paste.

kontrol

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Oh, when It says that it takes 2 hours to achieve peak perfomance, mean once its achieved that it's "done".

I tought it meant that it takes 2 hours since your computer is powered on (or high use) to achieve peak perfomance.

So IC Diamond is better than Artic Silver 5?

AS5 takes about 200 hours to cure (level when it gives it's best performance) by comparison - so the IC Diamond cures much faster !

- the Ceramique is a different product and is non electrically conductive since it has no silver particles in it - so if you apply it wrong and get too much so that it runs onto the MOBO connectors it will not short out the socket or CPU if it gets on the Pins - like AS5 can (since the silver particles in it do conduct electricity) - IC diamond is also non conductive since it is made from diamond dust and not metal particles

Artic Silver takes 200 hours of cure time ....in normal usage that could take up to a year.

See bottom of page here:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=138&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

Pick from the top 3 or 4 here:

http://www.hwreviewlabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64%3Amega-44-thermal-paste-round-up&catid=32%3Around-ups&Itemid=47&limitstart=3
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermal-interface-roundup_10.html#sect1
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=138&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=3

^ m8, 200 hours is like 8.33 days: http://www.google.com/search?hl=all&source=hp&q=200hours+to+days&btnG=Google+Search

Most people use their PC at least for 4 hours. So, 200/4 = 50 days.

==================================
Anyways here is what I posted earlier today:

GPU Temp results for Arctic Silver 5 on a softmodded nVidia 8400GS (to NVS 290). The AS5 was applied about a year or so ago. System was running Folding@Home GPU client for most of the time. Ambient temp was ~25.5C(78F).

Note: the dates in OCCT are written in the DD/MM/YYYY format NOT the traditional USA/Canada MM/DD/YYYY format.

AS 5 cures for ~ 1 year. System running 24 hrs most of the time. System was shut down only for about 5-6 minutes a week for updates.
4601000809_545cf63fe0_o.png

Now today, I applied the IC Diamond:
4601042967_51e29f6e54_o.png

Max for AS5: 87C
Idle for AS5: 54-55C

Max for IC Diamond: 81C
Idle for IC Diamond: 49-50C

Difference between AS5 and IC at Max: IC Diamond was 6C cooler than AS5.
Difference between AS5 and IC at Idle: IC Diamond was 5C cooler than AS5.

I will have CPU temp results over the week end.

kontrol

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Just remember that two question remains.

1. Do I have to buy remover for my i7 930 before I apply another compound.
2. I see there is IC Diamond 7 carrat and 24 Carrat. Is the 24 any better than the 7?

I'd like to add that I will for now keep the stock fan that come with the i7 930.

AMW1011

Distinguished
1. No, isoproply alchohol 70%+ will do the job just fine when used with Q-tips or coffee filters. This is the most common method.
2. There is no difference performance wise, that is just the amount. The 7 carat is 1.8g while the 24 carat is 4.5g. 1.8g is enough for 4-5 uses, 4.5g will be good for about 15.

^+1. I personally recommend 90%+ (due to less water) but 70% should work fine.

Correct. The IC Diamond/AS5 was applied to a nVidia 8400GS (softmodded to a NVS 290, but that doesn't matter for the purpose of this thread). I did it cause the stock paste was cr@p. The AS5 in itself dropped 4C over the cheap gunk that was on the card.

HansVonOhain

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I am using AS5, looking for a replacement, looks liek you guys have solved my question. I use 91% Isopryl without gloves. It infact feels good when you have the liquid in your hands. There will be no harm. It will damage plastics if you spill.

AMW1011

Distinguished

<95% will dehydrate your skin, which is annoying. 97% will burn it, not seriously, over a long enough period because it ionizes twice as readily. It will also damage your eyes and sensitive skin easily.

kontrol

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Does the i7 930 comes with the compound applied on it?

And for your video card, do you thin it's doable with the GTX470? Guess I'd have to void the warrenty for that.

isoproply alchohol is alcool you apply on injuries right?

Best thing I have ever used.......... when I mixed Arctic Silver and that white thermal paste from Thermaltake. Silver is thick, Thermaltake is a little more "soupy". It made a really nice, easy to spread paste that was better than either separately. If only able to get or use 1 paste..... the Thermaltake.

Using "soupy" as a reference inre to AS....... and I've had AS go hard on me already. And don't knock it til you tried it. Best combo I've tried and computers run a minimum of 16hrs a day for years. And before you ask, yes, I have pulled heat sinks in the past to see how it holds up.