Vid Card went out and FPS now slow

rezod21

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Hello,

I play a few different video intensive games and out of the blue two weeks ago when I started one it was running at about 1/2 speed and super low FPS. I thought something was up so I rebooted but I still had the same issues. I powered down this time but when the screen went black on the initial boot and shut off. I smelled the dreaded smoke smell. The system would no longer power on at all after this. I narrowed it down to the video card had blown as the system will power on with the card removed. This was a Nvidia 8500 GT 512MB.

I picked up a new Nvidia 9500GT 1GB and the system will now power up and boot normally. I swapped out the video drivers with the correct drivers but the issue is I am still getting the low FPS. I ran a FPS test program and it is registering 15 FPS when my older system has a Nvidia 7600GT in it and it gets 160FPS in the test.

Here are my basic system settings

I looked at the voltage and all are registering ok

Vcore = 1.34v
+3.3 = 3.36v
+5.0 = 4.86v
+12v = 12.16v

MB = Asus P5N-E SLI
Proc = Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4G 1333FSB
Ram = 1GB DDR2 PC6400
OS = Windows XP SP3

Am I screwed and lost something important on the MB or the Processor? I'm beginning to think the blown video card was the result not the culprit. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
It could be a few things. Vid card fried, and damaged your slot. Personally I'd be iffy using the PS again. I'd try a different ps like griff said, and if that doesn't help I'd get another mobo, and a different ps as that could've caused a chain reaction.

rezod21

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

oops ya. 2GB

No I haven't overclocked anything. The original card was running fine in the morning, I came back a little later and fired up the game again and all of a sudden it was running at 1/2 speed. Then the power down and restart is what caused the card to go out.

Sound like I will need to pickup a new board/proc and power supply. Might as well upgrade right, lol

rezod21

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
hanks for the gpu-z tool. Here are the results.

b9a.png

and the second. The GPU temp in this one looks way too high. This is under no load and just the OS running.
984.png

Derbixrace

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
LOL THATS WAYYYYY TOO HOT!!!!!! there must be something wrong with your 9500gt. im afraid you need to RMA it. or if you want you could try to apply new thermal paste on the gpu and reseat the fan but that does void the warranty right? and is the fan spinning?? btw keep the system off as much as possible because the temperature may be killing your gpu.

rezod21

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

You have helped me Derbixrace. thank you. I pulled out my 7600GT from my other system and put it in this to see what its results were with a different card.

hn.png

What are your thoughts on power supply? IF It is running low on power will it heat up the card to 111c like this? The reason I ask is first I put the new card in my other system but I started getting CPU fan speed warnings cause the new 9500 was drawing too much power. I only have a 350w in the original troubled system. I think I need to up this to 500w at a min, what do you think?

Derbixrace

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
well i dont think the card will heat up if you are low on power, but the system may become unstable, unexpected shutdowns etc.

if i overclock my 5850 too much i start getting unexpected shutdowns or reboots (without bluescreens or artifacts) because my PSU probably wont give it enough power. its a shitty nexus 500w PSU. i should probably upgrade it but dont have the money right now :)

but you said you are getting CPU fan speed warnings. are you sure that the PSU is causing it? it sounds strange that a fan does not get enough power lol :D

rezod21

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I got the CPU fan warning on my other system when I tried to put the new card in there to see if it heats up there as well. Once I got the CPU fan warning during the BIOS initialization I never booted it into the OS to test.

I then pulled my old systems 7600 card into my troubled system to see what it reads and it is fine. Well except for the GPU fan speed there. lol uggg