Sign in with
Your question

Athlon64 x2 running realy hot

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 12, 2010 9:33:27 PM

i have an hp a1600n with an asus board and athlon 64 x2 2ghz cpu 2 samsung 200gb sata drives and a bfg 9600 video card(nvidia). amd says my cpu should run between 55c and 74 celsius. as im writing this im at 57 celsius if i watch a vido from my drive using vlc player it shoots up to 92c surfing the net she runs around 68c the system is stocke cept for the drives and video card(which runs at 66c) i am running 1 monitor at 1024 and 1 component out to my tv for watching videos only. i have rewired my cpu fan to run full all the time since the bios offers no fan options before i rewired it surfing the internet brought me upto 78c. she is running hot and i dont know how to cool her down so any suggestions would be great
May 12, 2010 9:36:38 PM

dalun said:
i have an hp a1600n with an asus board and athlon 64 x2 2ghz cpu 2 samsung 200gb sata drives and a bfg 9600 video card(nvidia). amd says my cpu should run between 55c and 74 celsius. as im writing this im at 57 celsius if i watch a vido from my drive using vlc player it shoots up to 92c surfing the net she runs around 68c the system is stocke cept for the drives and video card(which runs at 66c) i am running 1 monitor at 1024 and 1 component out to my tv for watching videos only. i have rewired my cpu fan to run full all the time since the bios offers no fan options before i rewired it surfing the internet brought me upto 78c. she is running hot and i dont know how to cool her down so any suggestions would be great

also i am using the nvidia sytem monitor for my temp readout i tried speedfan but it corrupts my system so i cant start it without repairing it motherboard monitor isnt compatable with my board. and as a side not my sytem info says my cpu is an athlon fx-70 which is not possable since it has 1210 pins and i have a socket 939 and i did chech the cpu it is definately an athlon 64 x2 2 ghz
a c 93 à CPUs
May 12, 2010 9:51:43 PM

Time to clean then crap off the fans, take off the heatsink and clean thermal gunk off cpu and heatsink with isopropyl alcohol and apply something like Arctic Silver 5.

Try HWmonitor, its free @ http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
Related resources
May 12, 2010 9:55:04 PM

funny you should mention cleaning it i have done that already and have gone as far as replacing the heat sink with one made for an athlon x2 5500 but i will admit i didn't try the arctic silver and i will try it i have been using a standard silicone based heat paste thanks for the tip
May 13, 2010 2:23:27 AM

es i used a silicon based heat paste i purchased from frys i also lapped the base of the heart sink for an added measure of insurance that i would get a good contact and hopefully improved heat dissipation as im writting this i am at 52c i am using cpuid hw monitor as per a previous suggestion made(thabks again) and it says that in the past houir it has been running either idle or reading online my lowest temp for cpu was 43c and 45c max was 67c and 78c acpi temp has been a steady 40c and motherboard low is 36c high 40c
May 13, 2010 2:34:40 AM

also i have throttled back my cpu from 2ghz to 1.7 to further reuce its heat signature
the following is everthing in or connected to my pc as of right now

hp pavillion a1600n
Mainboard : Asus NODUSM3
Chipset : nVidia nForce 410
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 FX 70 @ 2000 MHz
Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (200 GB)
Hard Disk : ST320082 (200 GB)
Hard Disk : Initio (80 GB)
Hard Disk : ST315003 (1500 GB)
Hard Disk : ST980821 (80 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (60 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD-ROM DDU1613 ATA Device
Monitor Type : NEC Technologies MultiSync 97F - 18 inches
Monitor Type : Unspecified
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate Professional 6.00.6000
DirectX : Version 10.0
Windows Performance Index : 2.1 on 5.9

this is what pc wizard2010 from cpuid says about my cpu
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 FX 70
Frequency : 2000 MHz - (current : 1731.64 MHz)
Number of Core : 2
Support : Socket AM2 (940)
a c 474 à CPUs
May 13, 2010 4:00:51 AM

Is the fan on the cpu heatsink working and is it plugged in. I have accidentally forgotten to do that before. Also once had an issue of a cable getting into the fan and stopping it.
May 13, 2010 4:02:33 AM

yes the regular cpu fan is a 3 wire that was running at 817 rpm till the temp hit around 80 c i have since changed the fan and wired in another fan to be on all the time (by eliminating the third wire and running it off an extra hd power plug from psu the original fan was left hooked up to the motherboard so as to fool the acpi into thinking it was there now its blowing air across 1 of my drives lol crude yet effective now my cpu fan runs much faster but to no avail cpu still hot
May 13, 2010 4:07:56 AM

just to let everyone know incase i forgot my motherboard sees the cpu as an athlon fx-70 (not possible due to difference in pin count) and pcwizard 2010 says my board does not support dual core cpu's yet hp specs and the system manual says it does
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2010 4:16:35 AM

as das_stig noted, try a few other temp monitoring programs. I have a VERY hard time believing that you're really running that hot. I can almost guarantee you at 90C you'd be locking up. blue screening, shutting down...frying the CPU. I've never seen an X2 that high and I've OC'd the heck out of them. The highest I've ever seen, on a stock fan no less, is around 74C oc'd and overvolted with crap stock cooling. I suspect your board and the software you're using aren't communicating the temps properly.

Beyond that, if you've cleaned everything up and have a new cooler on there and you still aren't seeing any difference in temps, I'd be willing to bet that no amount of AS5 will matter because it really isn't running that hot. Given that it's an HP, they use proprietary motherboards based on certain chipsets (usually ASUS off-brand stuff) and there's no telling what you're going to get for readings from them. If you're not having any issues and things are running just fine, then I honestly wouldn't worry about.
May 13, 2010 4:33:48 AM

maybe your right i kinda suspected inacurate readings especially since my computer thinks its an fx-70 when it is an athlon 64 x2 lol talk about split personality anyways the only performance issue i seem to have is when it hits nearly 80c anything under that she runs good and quick problem is shes a pansy when it comes to work downloading my email to outlook forces her to hit nearly 72c following is my chipset info in case it makes a difference by the way amd did not believe my temperatures either till i sent them the readouts from nvidia system monitor speedfan (old one) pcwizard 2010 cpuid hw monitor siw and sensor view pro

General Information :
NorthBridge (SPP) : nVidia nForce 410
NorthBridge : AMD K8 Bridge
SouthBridge (MCP) : nVidia nForce 410/430 MCP

NorthBridge Information :
Architecture : Northbridge
Manufacturer : nVidia (Hewlett-Packard Company)
Codename : C51
Revision : A2

NorthBridge Information :
Architecture : Northbridge
Memory Controller : Integrated
Manufacturer : AMD
Revision : 00
Bus Speed : 173.2 MHz
HT Link : 865.8 MHz
HyperTransport Clock : 1000 MHz
Upstream : 16-bit
Downstream : 16-bit
HTT max. Support : 2000 MHz
RAM max. Support : DDR2 (800 MHz)
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2010 5:21:19 AM

Guessing you have an x2 3800+. I'd say bump the clocks back up so the bus is at 200MHz and don't worry about it. HP may have done something with the ASUS board (99% of their boards back then were ASUS offshoots (probably an A8N-VM variant, for what it's worth) and, like you said, given that it thinks it's an FX-70 I'm sure you're just not getting correct temps from the monitors. Seriously, 90C would fry that CPU quite quickly, though the thermal protection should kick in and downclock it something fierce if that was the case.

Do you see issues with it (outside of Outlook) when you play games or encode DVD/BR or anything that would tax it? In other words, if it honestly hits that hot, I can promise you the system would shut down rather quickly or seriously downclock the processor so it would be...well...a dog. I'm not positive that the old X2's had thermal protection built into them so it should just shut down with temps that high.

You mentioned 80C - what happens when you hit that? Does the whole PC just slow down to a crawl? If it does have TP, it would throttle down to as low as 800MHz if CnQ is enabled, but with a proprietary BIOS I'm not even sure that's an option. What prompted you to check temps in the first place?
May 13, 2010 5:50:42 AM

there are no user accesable settings for the cpu in the bios as far as what happens at 80c she starts to skip like freeze for a sec then lets go then freeze then lets go if i dont stop what im doing and let her rest she locks up i have to leave the side off and use a desk fan to keep her cool cant play any games on it by the time i get the game started she locks cant convert mpeg to dvd she hits upper 80's almost instantly and i was prompted to check temps when i updated the software for my video card and it came with nvidia sytem monitor which has on osd for temps for each core. i have a feeling that the previous owner may have flashed the bios incorrectly since the bios is wrong about some of the system specs and the computer is slow yes i also have an athlon 64 in another tower and she runs great. also an asus board. the hp board is an asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM3).

and i must say that ive never been much of a forum person but you guys have been a great help and an even greater tool for increasing my knowledge thanks a lot guys. im off to get some much needed rest be back in the am to check messages
night all
!