Memory timings and voltages?

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DS3L (Chipset P35/G33/G31) via CPU-Z
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (Socket 775 LGA, 6600 @ 2.40GHz)
Memory: 4GB of DDR2 (G.Skill I believe)

I've got a computer that is freezing randomly (more often with javascript/Flash stuff in Firefox/Chrome, but not only then; also when no browsers are even open). I have ran memtest (and even purchased new memory to upgrade), CPU tests, swapped out PSU with another just in case, nothing there. That leaves me with mobo or GPU, though it doesn't seem like a GPU thing.

Searching around has got me interested in memory timings and voltages, some people have fixed freezing problems by adjusting these. How do I know what to change them to, or where do I find that out? Any advice is appreciated, don't want to blow up my hardware. I'm sure I can go into the BOIS and figure out where to change them, but what to change them to is another story.

First prove to yourself that its a memory issue. Some advise memtest86, but I find that more memory issues (and other things) are exposed during a Prime95 stress test.

Use Prime95 (with "Detect Rounding Errors" checked) and CPUID's Hardware Monitor to test temps at the same time.

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

Hi Twoboxer, thanks for those tests. I'm not 100% sure I did it right, but this is what I got: http://screenr.com/W8Z

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
So messing with the memory timings and voltages would fix only memory related issues? I couldn't have good memory, adjust those settings, and fix anything? Gah, wish I had the money to just replace the whole dang thing, this has been a troubling endeavor trying to figure it out.

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

Hrm, yeah, I'm starting to think it's the motherboard. What happened to your computer performance as the motherboards were dying? I've been recommended two budget motherboards to replace it with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357 or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131615

Thoughts?

It would be hard, but not impossible, for Prime95 not to trigger a memory error.

It would be almost as hard, but not impossible, for it to be a mobo heat or intermittent failure issue, because Prime95 stresses cpu and memory more than any other task you run.

So the odds favor looking elsewhere - graphics-related, overall system heat, mobo issues when graphics are running, and software. (Normally psu would be in the list, but we're gonna leave that out for the moment due to your history.)

So let's download and run Furmark for an hour - watching heat very carefully. If that succeeds, run Prime95 AND Furmark. If those succeed, one would normally begin to look at a software issue somewhere.

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
I doubt it's completely software related, because (and I should have mentioned this), I did reformat in an attempt to fix this problem, and it was still happening after a fresh reformat. So far I have replaced memory (went from a 2GB stick to two brand new 2GB sticks for a total of 4GB) and have replaced the hard drive (from 250GB up to 1TB), and ran the computer with a different PSU.

I really appreciate the help (and hope you keep an eye on the thread), and when I get a chance, I'll do the Furmark and Furmark + Prime95 tests. I don't know what kind of problems a bad GPU can cause, but I'm hoping it's either that or the motherboard, otherwise I don't know where else to look.

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

I've got a Radeon X1950 (Rev 9A). Hope to have the time to run the tests tonight yet. I should ask, too, what are safe and non safe temperatures I should be keeping an eye out for? I've never really known what was high or low. My fans are on low right now too. And what Furmark Window Params and Run Mode do you recommend me testing with?

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Apparently my graphics card and/or drivers aren't OpenGL 2.0 compatible, so FurMark isn't working. :/ Is there an older version that might work, or an alternative stress test app?

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Tried the Heaven Benchmark and that one errored out on me, too. I will try more of them this weekend, but do you have one or two to recommend? I don't know which are best or which might work for me.