Upgrading from p5nd2-sli > sabertooth x58

usmarinehere

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Hey all,

I recently upgraded my os from xp 64 bit to 7 ultimate 64 bit. Also changed video card to gtx460 1gb, and hdd to a 1tb 7200rpm wd caviar. I just purchased a asus sabertooth x58, 6gb of 1600 ddr3 gskill ram, and a i7 950. My psu is a 650 watt silverstone with 2 sli power connectors 24 pin atx connector.

Basically what i'm asking if if I change the mobo, processor, and ram right now, after shuting down the cpu, and install all the new hardware will windows 7 start right back up? I have been doing some research and from what I have read is I can do it without having to fully reinstall windows 7. Something about putting the cpu in repair mode? I'm pretty computer literate but I have never upgraded a mobo/processor etc.

Just looking for some advice on this task I have. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Scott

tecmo34

Administrator
I think what you mean is Windows Repair Mode... Not CPU Repair Mode.

Can it be done... Yes & Do I recommend it... No

IMO, it is better to do a fresh install when switching to a new platform. It decreases your likely hood of BSOD coming from the old MOBO to the new MOBO. When you first install the OS, it rights a BIOS reference of short in the register. When you switch platforms, that information along with the old MOBO drivers are still in the background and cause conflicts / issues.

usmarinehere

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

Windows Repair Mode* got it. I just installed Windows 7 only about a month ago so I am not too concerned with reloading the OS. I guess what is the best step by step way to do this then? I also am putting in a new interal dvd drive, should I put the OS disc in the drive prior to turning off power, will windows install boot from the cd after the hardware change?

Once again, any input is better than guessing or doing my own research, it seems like everyone has their own opinion on how to do this process, I'm pretty much open for anything here. Thanks again.

tecmo34

Administrator
I would put the new internal drive in... Boot up as normal (it will boot into the BIOS) and press 'Del' to get into the BIOS. At this point, select the DVD drive as first boot priority, f10 save... PC reboots... go through the BIOS and what for it to say "Press Key to Boot from CD" and press a key. Install Windows from that point as normal.

All by the way... Thanks for serving the US Marines!! My father was a Marine Recon during the Vietnam era. Thanks for what you do!!