Sign in with
Your question

Which component is overheating?

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2010 3:27:45 PM

For the past 3 weeks, I have been encountering random shutdowns of my desktop, not BSODs, just shutdowns. The longer the pc has been off for, the longer it takes for it to shutdown randomly. For example, if my pc has been off all night, it might last 2 hours before it shuts down. But if I turn it on immediately after the shutdown, then it will only last 15-30 minutes max before shutting down again.

It seems like the warmer the ambient temperature is, the quicker my pc is to shutdown, which leads me to believe this is an overheating problem, but I'm just not sure what component is overheating. Coretemp reports good temperatures on the processor (all within normal range), and my video card isn't overheating according to rivatuner.

Here are the specs of my PC - it's a little over 2 years old

Intel E2180 @ 2 ghz
ABIT IP35-E
4 GB G skill DDR2 800 mhz
Geforce 8800GT
X-FI Xtremegamer Sound Card
640 GB WD HD
Corsair VX550W Power supply
Windows 7

Any idea which component of the PC is broken? I'm lead to believe it is either the mobo or power supply.

Then again, it doesnt always take a full 2 hours to shutdown. My desktop just shutdown in about 30 minutes after turning it this morning.

More about : component overheating

a b B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2010 3:44:05 PM

It could also be a power supply problem because of it just shutting off.

So if you can, blow out dust and stuff, and test a different PSU.
m
l
March 5, 2010 3:51:51 PM

I wish I had another PSU to test out! I went in there yesterday and cleaned the dust out with some compressed air.

Event viewer shows the following after crashing

Critical Error, Source - Kernel Power, Event 41.
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Whenever I get this error, I also get this one when I crash.

Error, Event 35, Kernel-Processor-Power
Performance power management features on processor 1 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2010 4:07:49 PM

Well you could turn off intel's version of cool'n'quiet but I doubt that would do anything for you other than make that second message stop.
m
l
March 5, 2010 4:28:41 PM

Im trying to reinstall Windows 7 now...hopefully it doesn't crash during installation. But if it does, then at least I know it is a hardware problem for sure.

well before i could even start formatting it crashed, so its definitely a hardware issue.
m
l
March 5, 2010 5:14:46 PM

A quick update:

When my pc is shutting off, sometimes all power to the motherboard is lost. The little red light that indicates the power supply is on turns off. I have to go behind the power supply and flip the power switch manually off for a few seconds, and then back on. Then the red light will power on and I can turn my pc back on.

So it seems that the power supply itself is shutting off. Odds are this is a psu issue, right?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2010 5:40:12 PM

That is why I said to try a different PSU in the first place. You could probably just RMA it.
m
l
!