Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Slight overclock with x4 965 BE

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
December 31, 2012 2:32:19 AM

Hey guys im a complete noob at overclocking. But I seem to get the gist of it. So im running a Phenom II x4 965 BE w/ the stock cooler on a MSI 970A-G46 mobo. I wanted to do a slight overclock from 3.4ghz to 3.6ghz so I upped the multiplier by one. Now its running at 3.6ghz. As of right now im running prime95 with the new clock and my temps are hovering around 60-61 degrees celcius. Ive only been running prime95 for 7 minutes on blend though. I plan on running it for probably a half hour or so. But I came here to make sure that upping the multiplier by one was the right thing to do, and to ask if those are good temps so far, and if maybe just maybe I could push it to 3.7-3.8ghz if im real lucky :bounce:  Ill post the final temps after im done with prime95.

More about : slight overclock 965

December 31, 2012 2:39:54 AM

61C is getting bad already. I would call it good at 3.6 until you get a better cpu cooler and maybe more case fans.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2012 2:42:08 AM

You can get 4GHz really Easy but takes a long time!... Just OC it to 4GHz with voltage at 1.35v(make this as max! I recommend not going over 1.35v) but based on your TEMP, I'd recommend not going over 1.28v and for probably 3.8-4GHz OC and see how it goes and also check RAM because they might be OC.. Not sure how AMD's side OC works but make sure it's at the correct clock for the RAM....
m
0
l
Related resources
December 31, 2012 2:43:19 AM

need4speeds said:
61C is getting bad already. I would call it good at 3.6 until you get a better cpu cooler and maybe more case fans.


61C is bad? After 20 minutes its at 59C-60C right now. Whats the average temp of most cpus under %100 load? I should probably just drop it back down to 3.4ghz and call it a day.

EDIT: @Legend Are you sure? What would you consider "good" temps? Im running on a stock cooler and I havent heard to great of things about my mobo. And your saying I could get to 3.8ghz to 1.28v. Right now in CPU-Z my cpu voltage is hanging around 1.5v. I am a noob at this but that sounds like it makes sense. Since lowering the voltages and raising the clock speed would cancel eachother out heat wise, right?
m
0
l
December 31, 2012 3:01:21 AM

Keeping it under 60C is a good idea. Prime 95 however does work the cpu at 100% load so if your getting 61C then normal use will be a bit lower than that.

What i am saying is your 200mhz overclock is fine with the stock cooler, 3.6ghz is ok.

Above that you will need a voltage increase to make it stable, which in turn makes even more heat. Wait until you get a new cpu cooler first.
m
0
l
December 31, 2012 11:25:47 AM

need4speeds said:
Keeping it under 60C is a good idea. Prime 95 however does work the cpu at 100% load so if your getting 61C then normal use will be a bit lower than that.

What i am saying is your 200mhz overclock is fine with the stock cooler, 3.6ghz is ok.

Above that you will need a voltage increase to make it stable, which in turn makes even more heat. Wait until you get a new cpu cooler first.


Okay, I definitely plan on getting a CPU cooler soon. I find this kind of fun now lol. But should I even try to go another 200mhz on the stock cooler and lower the voltages like legend said?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2012 1:32:37 PM

abkaflab said:
61C is bad? After 20 minutes its at 59C-60C right now. Whats the average temp of most cpus under %100 load? I should probably just drop it back down to 3.4ghz and call it a day.

EDIT: @Legend Are you sure? What would you consider "good" temps? Im running on a stock cooler and I havent heard to great of things about my mobo. And your saying I could get to 3.8ghz to 1.28v. Right now in CPU-Z my cpu voltage is hanging around 1.5v. I am a noob at this but that sounds like it makes sense. Since lowering the voltages and raising the clock speed would cancel eachother out heat wise, right?

1.5v at 3.6GHz? Dafuq? most CPU could hit 4GHz usually at 1.3-1.35v... Im not sure why you have your CPU at 1.5v but it's ganna die sooner or later if you dont change it right now... BTW, my i7 950 could hit 3.8GHz at 1.25v and at 4GHz, it needed 1.32v

EDIT: I consider 75*C usually the green zone(safe zone, stay under 75*C) and 80*C yellow zone and 90*C as red zone or just pull the plug because this high degrees can damage CPU...
m
0
l
December 31, 2012 2:24:38 PM

legendkiller said:
1.5v at 3.6GHz? Dafuq? most CPU could hit 4GHz usually at 1.3-1.35v... Im not sure why you have your CPU at 1.5v but it's ganna die sooner or later if you dont change it right now... BTW, my i7 950 could hit 3.8GHz at 1.25v and at 4GHz, it needed 1.32v

EDIT: I consider 75*C usually the green zone(safe zone, stay under 75*C) and 80*C yellow zone and 90*C as red zone or just pull the plug because this high degrees can damage CPU...


I havent messed my CPU voltages at all so that must be stock voltage. Should I try lowering it or just leave it alp one since it came that way?
m
0
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2012 2:27:18 PM



Don't listen to Legend. Don't go above 60c.

It will take 1.375v to 1.3875v at best for 4GHz with good air.
m
0
l
December 31, 2012 2:40:12 PM

Wisecracker said:
Don't listen to Legend. Don't go above 60c.

It will take 1.375v to 1.3875v at best for 4GHz with good air.


I dont really have good air though. ALTHOUGH, big deal here, I dropped my voltages down to 1.36v and after 5 min of prime 95 w/ the overclock im getting 40C-41C...so 20C drop just by dropping the voltage. Although its only been 5 min of prime95 so I still need to stress test for longer. But my cpu meter gadget says only two cores are at %100, the other two are at like %5.

EDIT: Task Manager is also saying 50% CPU usage and I still have prime95 running. Somethings going wrong.

EDIT2: Yep, error in prime95. Heres a screenshot of everything. I have no idea how to fix it. Should I raise my voltage back up or what?

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee488/harrison918/C...

EDIT3: Everythings fixed, 1.425v seemed to be the sweet spot. Im getting 55C under load on the 3.6ghz overclock. Thanks everyone
m
0
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2012 11:30:03 PM


AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Specs

Your volts seem a bit high but temps are great. It may be your motherboard as much as anything but 3.8GHz at 1.375v to 1.3875v with the stock cooler is common.

Can you increase the NB multiplier above 10x? You should be able to go 12x (or 2400MHz) if you have the BIOS setting.

What is your RAMs speed? You may also OC with the system clock by dropping the RAM divider one setting.
That keeps the RAMs at spec speed and allows a 240MHz or 250MHz system clock.



m
0
l
December 31, 2012 11:53:56 PM

Wisecracker said:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Specs

Your volts seem a bit high but temps are great. It may be your motherboard as much as anything but 3.8GHz at 1.375v to 1.3875v with the stock cooler is common.

Can you increase the NB multiplier above 10x? You should be able to go 12x (or 2400MHz) if you have the BIOS setting.

What is your RAMs speed? You may also OC with the system clock by dropping the RAM divider one setting.
That keeps the RAMs at spec speed and allows a 240MHz or 250MHz system clock.


I don't know what the nb multiplier is lol. What does it do?

My ram is at stock 1600mhz speed, I really don't feel knowledgeable enough to mess with that stuff.

But I'll definitely give 3.8ghz at those volts a whirl.

EDIT: Tried 3.8ghz at 1.38v and I got BSOD the second I started up prime95.
m
0
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 12:23:57 PM


I'm just guessing, here, but it looks like you have something called VDroop (or, a voltage drop, under load).

What was your voltage setting above? CPUz reported 1.344v, but what was the BIOS setting?

Your system has a base system clock of 200MHz. Your processing and memory speeds are all based on the system clock manipulated via *multipliers* ---- at stock:

CPU = 200MHz x17
RAMs = 200MHz x8
IMC/NB = 200MHz x10
HT Link = 200MHz x10


edit: The IMC/NB is the integrated memory controller.

m
0
l
January 3, 2013 12:02:51 AM

Wisecracker said:
I'm just guessing, here, but it looks like you have something called VDroop (or, a voltage drop, under load).

What was your voltage setting above? CPUz reported 1.344v, but what was the BIOS setting?

Your system has a base system clock of 200MHz. Your processing and memory speeds are all based on the system clock manipulated via *multipliers* ---- at stock:

CPU = 200MHz x17
RAMs = 200MHz x8
IMC/NB = 200MHz x10
HT Link = 200MHz x10


edit: The IMC/NB is the integrated memory controller.


The 1.344v was when it BSODed. Im running on 1.428v now at 3.6ghz and its stable with 55C under load. When I tried the 3.8ghz I believe I set the voltage to something like 1.38v. I cant remember to be honest. And it wasnt stable at that.
m
0
l
!