Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Black screen and crash

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 22, 2010 3:41:37 AM

hey everyone, i've had this problem with my computer for about three or four days now and it's making me go crazy. basically every time i try to run a game, my monitor loses it's video connection and my video card goes to 100% fan speed, but the cpu continues to run because the sound from the game goes for about ten seconds. after that the computer restarts.

sometimes this happens the second i click the executable for the game, and sometimes i can actually play the game for about ten seconds, if i'm lucky i might get up to a minute, but ultimately it will go to a black screen, the fan goes crazy, then i see my bios start up. recently it even started doing this when i'm watching a youtube video or something. but it never happens when it's on idle.
it's not because of overheating because my cpu never gets above 50 degrees celcius, and my GPU doesn't get above 60. also i've had overheating problems in the past with my system and this is a completely different result from what i've seen before.

in my troubleshooting i've installed memtest on my flash drive and ran it for a night, it came up with no issues to report. i then reinstalled directx and the CCC, no results. then i did a full virus scan with three different virus software programs, no results, same issue. after a while of doing similar things i gave up and reformatted the computer and reinstalled windows 7, after getting all the drivers and the computer up and running, i tried playing a game and it worked for about five minutes... then it went back to its' old habit of crashing and restarting.
i've had this computer for about two years so i know that the hardware works together and that there are no conflicts. also this happens with every game (halo, half-life 1 and 2, crysis, unreal tournament 3 and a bunch of others).

system specs
cpu: intel q9650
gpu: ati radeon 4870x2
mobo: asus p5n-d
i think that's all i need to list...

so yeah, any help would be great because this problem is making me tear my hair out at the moment.

More about : black screen crash

February 22, 2010 5:37:48 AM

Hello :) 
First of all download and install GPU-Z and post a screenshot of its main page(Graphic card tab)
Also can you test your VGA in another system or test another VGA in your system ?
m
l
February 22, 2010 5:58:20 AM

i'll download gpu-z a but before i do that what do you mean by "test your vga in another system"?
i don't want to appear dense but i've always considered "VGA" an outdated video cable

if you're refering to the video card then no, i won't be able to test it in another system unfortunately.

oh, i want to add that nothing in the system is being overclocked

EDIT: bad news, the crashing got more and more frequent, an hour ago i could use the computer for about five minutes before it crashed, and now i can't even get past the windows logo before it does the black screen then restart.
does anybody here have any idea what the problem could be? could my motherboard be fried?

EDIT#2:
i wanted to see if it was because of windows or something, so i installed ubuntu on my flash drive. but before i could even try to boot from the usb the computer wouldn't even post the bios screen, it just turns on and immediately shoots the fan speed up to 100%, at no point do i get any video.
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2010 6:30:21 PM

Hello,

I hate to say it, but it may be your video card dieing. Do you have a spare one you could possibly swap out? Your 4870x2 is no weakling and I suspect after a while of heavy usage might be damaged.

Also what Maziar is asking whether or not you use VGA (which stands for video graphics array), it is a blue (usually) cable with 15 pins in it and about the length of half a thumb.

The other type of connectors are:

HDMI - High definition multimedia cable - looks like a USB cable

Display port - looks similar to HDMI cable and has similar capabilities and looks.

Component - 3 cables (Red, Green, Blue) - Highly unlikely you use this.

One thing you could also possibly try is unplugging your computer, and Re-Seating your video card, and re-connecting the power cables or even swap your current power cable going to your video card with another free power cable inside your computer.
m
l
February 22, 2010 8:29:46 PM

the 4870x2 unfortunately doesn't have any native support for vga or hdmi which is disappointing. but to get on topic yes, i tried switching between the two DVI ports on the card and that doesn't make a difference.
i took the whole rig apart and put it back together, also i put the video card into the second pci 2.0 x16 slot and it still had the same problem.
unfortunately i think the video card is definitely the problem which really sucks for me because it would have been way cheaper to buy a new motherboard. i guess all those hours of beating the crap out of it with high end games got to it, i'm not surprised but i expected the card to last at least two or three years longer than it did.

i'll see if i can get it refurbished, if not then i'll go ahead and wait for the new nvidia lineup and see how they match up with ati's 5000 series. looks like a month without gaming for me :( 
m
l

Best solution

February 23, 2010 5:44:15 AM

mckinnley said:
i'll download gpu-z a but before i do that what do you mean by "test your vga in another system"?
i don't want to appear dense but i've always considered "VGA" an outdated video cable

if you're refering to the video card then no, i won't be able to test it in another system unfortunately.

oh, i want to add that nothing in the system is being overclocked

EDIT: bad news, the crashing got more and more frequent, an hour ago i could use the computer for about five minutes before it crashed, and now i can't even get past the windows logo before it does the black screen then restart.
does anybody here have any idea what the problem could be? could my motherboard be fried?

EDIT#2:
i wanted to see if it was because of windows or something, so i installed ubuntu on my flash drive. but before i could even try to boot from the usb the computer wouldn't even post the bios screen, it just turns on and immediately shoots the fan speed up to 100%, at no point do i get any video.

By VGA i mean your graphic card.
Anyways revert back your OC(OverClock) and set everything to stock and check if it still crashes or not
March 5, 2010 12:37:00 AM

oops, forgot that i had this thread still open. turns out the problem was the power strip, something got fried in it and it would cut power when it became overloaded, so since my computer has a whopping 1000 watt power supply i guess that's all it needed.
m
l
March 5, 2010 12:37:13 AM

Best answer selected by mckinnley.
m
l
!