Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Too high ram usage ?

Last response: in Windows 8
March 5, 2012 5:12:30 PM

Im with windows 8 CP x64 and it uses 880mb-1.2gb ram(without runing any programs, games or movies its 880mb , with internet explorer its using 1.2gb) and im wondering is that too high? Microsoft said it will use like 300-400 mb ..I know this is just a beta version but i was expecting it to be atleast 20-30 mb lower then windows 7 , not 400 mb higher ( with windows 7 my pc was using 590mb-790mb)

More about : high ram usage

Best solution

March 5, 2012 5:20:10 PM

Yes, this is perfectly normal, Win7 uses roughly the same amount in my expierence. If you really want to scare yourself then go to resource manager and see how much Ram is being reserved for program cache. My 16GB system uses ~1GB of ram to sit there, and has ~9GB of programs cached and ready to go at all times under win8.
March 5, 2012 5:22:21 PM

Keep in mind that used ram does not slow the computer down so long as you have enough ram installed to keep the computer from using virtual memory (aka hard disc space as ram). With Win7 and 8 the motto seems to be 'the more we can shove in Ram, the less we have to use the HDD, and the faster the system will run'.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 5, 2012 5:34:47 PM

lol who cares how much ram it uses? Its a newer OS, newer OS = more ram usage. I would be worried if it didn't use more ram for things. On top of that RAM is so cheap its not even an excuse anymore not to buy 16 gb of ram for 50$
March 5, 2012 5:40:48 PM

to be honest my computer uses 3gb

but then ive got 8gb in my pc

ram is cheap so its not a problem how much you use
March 5, 2012 6:06:54 PM

actualy its not that cheap for a ddr2 ... i payed 50 euro for 4 gb ram..if i want to buy a 16 gb ram for the same money i gave for 4gb i neeed to buy a completely new rig ( processor and motherboard). ty caedenv for telling me about this cached memory
March 5, 2012 6:14:57 PM

Best answer selected by letsplay2.
March 6, 2012 5:02:22 PM

mightymaxio said:
lol who cares how much ram it uses? Its a newer OS, newer OS = more ram usage. I would be worried if it didn't use more ram for things. On top of that RAM is so cheap its not even an excuse anymore not to buy 16 gb of ram for 50$

Win8 actually uses less ram than XP, but it makes better use of the ram for caching. It will immediately free the cached data at the slightest hint of memory pressure.
March 6, 2012 5:42:22 PM

indeed, newer OSs throw everything they can into ram because it is faster access than your HDD, If the OS finds that it needs more ram available for programs then it will shove things off or shut parts down in order to make space. Ram use is not the same and the Ram footprint that is being reserved, and so long as you have more than 1GB of ram (and a GPU to take the interface overhead off the CPU) then there is no reason why win7 or win8 will not run faster than XP on old hardare. Less than 1GB of ram is a whole other story... but a 1GB minimum is pretty easy to meet, even on a 10 year old system.
March 17, 2012 6:44:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!