Thief: DS & MS Intellimouse Optical - Can't configure butt..

Last response: in Video Games
July 1, 2004 10:02:57 AM

Does anyone know how I can configure Thief: DS
to use the two side buttons on this mouse:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/prod...

I'm able to configure Thief to use the other three
buttons successfully, and have been able to configure
other games to use the two side buttons.

Thanks,

P.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:32:47 PM

On 1 Jul 2004 06:02:57 -0700, paul_moloney@hotmail.com (Paul Moloney) wrote:

>Does anyone know how I can configure Thief: DS
>to use the two side buttons on this mouse:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/prod...
>
>I'm able to configure Thief to use the other three
>buttons successfully, and have been able to configure
>other games to use the two side buttons.
>
>Thanks,
>
>P.

I have a MS trackball, and think it has the same drivers. I had to go
into the windows mouse control panel and set the buttons to mimic
keyboard keys. I have the left outside left button set as BACKSPACE
and the outside right button as the letter N. And then in the games
they are bound to those keyboard keys.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 5:53:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project,microsoft.public.mshardware.product (More info?)

Sxerks <none@a.a> wrote in:
> paul_moloney@hotmail.com (Paul Moloney) wrote:

> >Does anyone know how I can configure Thief: DS
> >to use the two side buttons on this mouse:
> >
> >http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/prod...
> >
> >I'm able to configure Thief to use the other three
> >buttons successfully, and have been able to configure
> >other games to use the two side buttons.

> I have a MS trackball, and think it has the same drivers. I had to go
> into the windows mouse control panel and set the buttons to mimic
> keyboard keys. I have the left outside left button set as BACKSPACE
> and the outside right button as the letter N. And then in the games
> they are bound to those keyboard keys.

Thanks; sounds like a pain for you though :)  ; it would be nice if
there was a hack to work around this problem. Alternatively, do you
know any utilities that enable you to save custom mouse settings and
switch between them easily, so you switch back and forth between the
"normal" mouse settings for buttons 4 and 5, and custom settings for
Thief?

P.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 3:55:13 PM

On 2 Jul 2004 01:53:05 -0700, paul_moloney@hotmail.com (Paul Moloney) wrote:

>Sxerks <none@a.a> wrote in:
>> paul_moloney@hotmail.com (Paul Moloney) wrote:
>
>> >Does anyone know how I can configure Thief: DS
>> >to use the two side buttons on this mouse:
>> >
>> >http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/prod...
>> >
>> >I'm able to configure Thief to use the other three
>> >buttons successfully, and have been able to configure
>> >other games to use the two side buttons.
>
>> I have a MS trackball, and think it has the same drivers. I had to go
>> into the windows mouse control panel and set the buttons to mimic
>> keyboard keys. I have the left outside left button set as BACKSPACE
>> and the outside right button as the letter N. And then in the games
>> they are bound to those keyboard keys.
>
>Thanks; sounds like a pain for you though :)  ; it would be nice if
>there was a hack to work around this problem. Alternatively, do you
>know any utilities that enable you to save custom mouse settings and
>switch between them easily, so you switch back and forth between the
>"normal" mouse settings for buttons 4 and 5, and custom settings for
>Thief?
>
>P.

I don't know any utilities off-hand, but the in that same mouse control
panel, you can set it to "Enable program-specific button settings".
So that way they would switch automatically.
!