Sign in with
Your question

IC Diamond Test Results

Last response: in CPUs
May 13, 2010 12:28:47 AM

PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE TESTING/POSTING YOUR IC Diamond RESULTS!!!

PLEASE ONLY POST WITH RESULTS WHEN YOU HAVE FULL RESULTS, OTHERWISE YOUR POST MAY NOT BE SEEN BY ALL IF YOU RESERVE THE POST FOR LATER RESULTS WITH IC7. PEOPLE TEND TO GO TO THE NEWEST POST, SO IF YOU WANT IT TO BE SEEN BY ALL, POST YOUR RESULTS ONCE YOU HAVE THEM ALL. ALL OTHER DISCUSSION/SUPPORT POSTS, GO RIGHT AHEAD!!

PLEASE BE SURE TO BENCHMARK YOUR CPU TEMPS WITH YOUR CURRENT TIM AND RECORD YOUR RESULTS BEFORE USING IC7 FOR TESTING. WE NEED BEFORE AND AFTER PLEASE!

ALSO, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DON'T CHANGE ANY VARIABLE OTHER THAN THE THERMAL COMPOUND USED FOR BEFORE/AFTER (I.E. SAME VOLTS/CLOCKS, COOLER, AND OTHER HARDWARE)

APPLICATION METHOD

For all those participating in the IC7 giveaway, please follow this link to the Innovation Cooling website for more information on the product:

Innovation Cooling

Proper application is the key to this product. The nature and consistency of this product is likely quite different from what most of you are used to in a Thermal Compound. We don't recommend use of traditional methods of applying the TIM like razor blades, lines, x's (though some people have reported great success with the X method), etc. Through extensive testing, the best overall application method has been determined to be a pea sized amount directly in the center of the CPU. The TIM should be adequately spread via the downforce of the CPU cooler (a sufficient amount of downforce will provide best results; minimum 50psi of downforce should be the goal for optimum results. please see the Innovation Cooling website for more info). Also, for coolers/surfaces that have many peaks and valleys, it may be beneficial to wet the surface(s) with a small amount of IC7 to initially fill the voids in the mounting surfaces...then proceed with recommended application as usual. Please click on the link below for application methodology and shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
Keep in mind, IC7 has been formulated with the specific goals of providing superb thermal conductivity with short set times, but also for long term stability and performance without pump/bakeout through extended thermal cycling or usage. This stuff is very stable over long periods of time.

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

Please do feel free to navigate through the whole Innovation Cooling website as there is tonnes of information on there that might prove beneficial.

HOW TO POST RESULTS

THE FORMAT IS AS FOLLOWS (ALL TEMPS IN C):

OPTIONAL INFO: PROCESSOR, VOLTS/CLOCKS, HEATSINK/COOLING USED, ETC.

Pre-IC7
Compound:
Abient Temp:
Idle Temp:
Load Temp:

IC7
Ambient Temp:
Idle Temp:
Load Temp:

Added 5/22 - Cure Time- Cure Time averages 2 hours in most situations for sinks with adequate pressure loading with maybe .5C more overnight. Lightly pressure loaded sinks may take a day or more depending on the amount of pressure

If you have any problems or need support, please feel free to post here for now. Remember, proper application and good even heat sink pressure (goal should be minimum of 50psi or more) are crucial for peak performance. Too much or too little compound will impact your results so please do visit the Innovation Cooling website for Application Instructions with images and explanations. For those with direct touch heatpipe coolers, you might want to try wetting the contact surface of the cooler with a tiny amount of ICD to fill any small voids before proceeding with the normal application method.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post up. Sign ups are still open and should be posted in the sign up thread.

Observational Request - I would appreciate any observations on wear and tear from polishing on any laser etched lettering. Nobody has has complained for the last couple of years and this has not been my experience but a few isolated incidents of late have drawn our attention. Some thermal compounds are are by nature identical with polishing compounds, ceramic or oxide particles suspended in a fluid. I have anecdotal reports of compounds like Arctic Alumina which is a ceramic having the same kind of effect .

Our position on it is that abrasives in order to work have to "move" and in the normal course of application and removal it is not an issue. When it becomes an issue seems to be in case of people doing frequent multiple installs and removals such as what a reviewer would do when running multiple tests causing wear and tear most likely what you would see with most other compounds although with diamond it probably would happen faster. In any event depending on feedback we would put up an advisory on our site not to overwork the paste on installation and removal.

This is one reason we do these giveaways is to investigate things like this and improve use and application of our product.

Thanks all and happy testing!!!

More about : diamond test results

May 13, 2010 12:34:04 AM

Oh, Cool.

I'l start us of.

Max- Prime 95-

Average of 3 runs: 9.5C reduction from 5 year old dried up Lantec Paste.

Ambient: About 27C as we are aproaching summer rapidly.

Idle: Reductions of 2c as an average.

Conculsion: IC daimond rapes my old Lantec paste.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2010 12:55:35 AM

GPU Temp results for Arctic Silver 5 on a softmodded nVidia 8400GS (to NVS 290) and overclocked.
See here for full details on the GPU: GPUZ validation

AS 5 cured for ~ 1 year. System running 24 hrs. System was shut down only for about 5-10 minutes a week for updates. This system was running Folding@Home GPU client for 80-95% of the time, so the GPU pretty much ran at the MAX temp.

===========================================
Test set up:
Ambient temp was ~25.5C(78F) for both tests.
OCCT was run WITH OUT Folding@Home running for accurate results.
Tested WITH OUT case.
***Note: the dates in OCCT are written in the DD/MM/YYYY format NOT the traditional USA/Canada MM/DD/YYYY format. ***

===========================================
Arctic Silver 5:

Now today, I applied the IC Diamond:

Ambient: 25.5C
Max for AS5: 87C
Idle for AS5: 54-55C

Ambient: 25.5C
Max for IC Diamond: 81C
Idle for IC Diamond: 49-50C

Difference between AS5 and IC at Max: IC Diamond was 6C cooler than AS5.
Difference between AS5 and IC at Idle: IC Diamond was 5C cooler than AS5.

I will have CPU temp results over the week end.
a c 126 à CPUs
May 13, 2010 1:12:23 AM

So I found some time today to actually test it out and I will say I am pretty impressed at it. I got about a 8c drop from idle across the cores and a 9c drp under load. I am not too suprised since I was using the standard Zalman thermal grese that came with the CPNS 9700 LED I have but still, its a nice drop. Now I used HWMonitor and the temps seems high so I also used Speedfan to make sure and there is about a 10c difference. It might be due to an issue with the Q6600 G0 that was around since 2007 when I built the machine. Some temp programs still have it listed as a 105TDP CPU so it is normally higher than the real temp.

I did take screenshots of idle and load. I used Prime95 Small FTTs since that one tends to really load the CPU to max.

My specs:

Asus P5K-E Deluxe Wifi -AP
Intel C2Q6600 G0 stepping @ 3GHz 1.25v
Zalman CPNS 9700 Cooler
4Gigs Corsair XMS2 PC8500
2x Seagate 500GB SATA 300 in Raid 0
ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB GDDR5
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality Extreme Gamer(has the 64MB X-RAM)
BFG 800 Watt Quad Rail PSU
Apevia X-Navigator Case. It has a lot of blue lights
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G500

My CPU is running at 3GHz under load, 2GHz idle and has a voltage of 1.232v idle and 1.224v under load (yes I was lucky enough to get a Q6600 G0 that would run lower than stock voltage OCed to 3GHz stable and I love it :love:  ).

The TIM I was using was the generic Zalman TIM that came with my CPNS 9700 as seen here:

I had it on my CPU since 2007 when I built the machine so it has had 2.5 years time to cure so it was pretty set. My Q6600 is relativley flat luckily and the Zalman CPNS 9700 I got has literally a mirror finish thats pretty good for not being lapped.

This is my CPU with the Zalman TIM idle:

CPU: Q6600 G0 @2GHz
VCORE: 1.232v
CPU Temp: 34c
Ambient: 25.5c

Cores in HWMonitor:
Core 0: 47c
Core 1: 45c
Core 2: 39c
Core 3: 39c

Cores in SpeedFan:
Core 0: 37c
Core 1: 35c
Core 2: 29c
Core 3: 29c

Zalman TIM under load:

CPU: Q6600 G0 @3GHz
VCORE: 1.224v
CPU Temp: 55c

Cores in HWMonitor:
Core 0: 69c
Core 1: 65c
Core 2: 58c
Core 3: 57c

Cores in SpeedFan:
Core 0: 60c
Core 1: 56c
Core 2: 49c
Core 3: 47c

Now for the results. I pulled off my HSF, cleaned off the Zalman TIM completley using 90% Isopropyl alcohol. Added a pea sized drop in the middle per the IC Diamond website instructions and put it back together while applying enough pressure. I also tightened my HSF using the screws, which is one thing I love about my HSF since it is mounted vias crews and not push pins.

IC Diamond TIM idle:

CPU: Q6600 G0 @2GHz
VCORE: 1.232v
CPU Temp: 27c

Cores in HWMonitor:
Core 0: 39c
Core 1: 39c
Core 2: 34c
Core 3: 34c

Cores in SpeedFan:
Core 0: 29c
Core 1: 28c
Core 2: 24c
Core 3: 24c

IC DIamond TIM under load:

CPU: Q6600 G0 @3GHz
VCORE: 1.224v
CPU Temp: 46c

Cores in HWMonitor:
Core 0: 60c
Core 1: 59c
Core 2: 56c
Core 3: 56c

Cores in SpeedFan:
Core 0: 50c
Core 1: 49c
Core 2: 46c
Core 3: 46c

Overall, the IC DIamond TIM seems to have lowered my CPU temps by a range of 3-9c depending on the cores. In my CPU, Cores 0 and 1 run hotter and also noticed the best results while Cores 2 and 3 run cooler and didn't drop as much. In terms of performance compared to my Zalman TIM, its awesome and I would probably buy this over most other brands since I do tend to overclock.

As said before by others, idle is not as big a concern as load temps. And the games I play all have multicore support enabled so this TIM will really help lower the temp while doing that. That said, I do live in Arizona, Tucson to be exact where its May and soon to be 100+ every day. I do keep my house at about 78F all the time though.

If you need any more data from me I will be more than happy to provide it and thanks for including me in your test.

Just copied from the other thread.
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2010 1:14:44 AM

^ Please use (preferably, calibrated) RealTemp for CPU temps
a c 133 à CPUs
May 13, 2010 1:25:50 AM

Artic Silver 5 on a Q8200 @ 3.2ghz 1.36 VCore
Idle Temps
CPU die Temp 27 Idle

Core 1- 44
Core 2- 39
Core 3- 38
Core 4- 39

Ambient 27 C Thermometer on my desk

Cooler OCZ Vendetta

Load Temps 10 Minutes In Place large FFT's
CPU die Temp 54

Core 1- 64
Core 2- 60
Core 3- 60
Core 4- 58

IC Diamond 24 on a Q8200 @ 3.2ghz 1.36 VCore
Idle Temps
CPU die Temp 27 Idle

Core 1- 40
Core 2- 38
Core 3- 36
Core 4- 39

Ambient 27 C Thermometer on my desk

Cooler OCZ Vendetta

Load Temps 10 Minutes In Place large FFT's
CPU die Temp 54

Core 1- 60
Core 2- 58
Core 3- 57
Core 4- 57

All temps taken with HWMonitior

So about a 3C decrease from AS5 so it does definitely work a little better but is it a huge difference no would I go out of my way to get it probably not but it is good compound none the less.
------------------------------
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2010 1:33:23 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ Please use (preferably, calibrated) RealTemp for CPU temps

I don't think it really matters what you use because it's the delta temperature that you're interested in, not the absolute temperature. Although I would not recommend HWmonitor for Core ix chips at least, as it doesn't seem to provide consistent readings. I think it does a rolling average instead of doing what most programs do (which is IA32_TEMPERATURE_TARGET - DTS reading).
a c 133 à CPUs
May 13, 2010 1:53:03 AM

I have checked HWMonitior against my bios temps it was the most accurate of all I have also checked the die temp with a laser thermometer and it was dead on accurate so for me they are the most accurate.
a c 198 à CPUs
May 13, 2010 2:28:10 AM

I can't participate :(  .... I put IC Diamond on in the initial build.

But I do wanna thank the IC folks for their efforts in the notebook arena w/ boutique builders. Nice having the option to have IC installed "at the factory" for CPU / GPU ..... though I just noticed that price climbed from $20 to $40 this month ($5 less for AS5).
a c 126 à CPUs
May 13, 2010 6:59:09 AM

randomizer said:
I don't think it really matters what you use because it's the delta temperature that you're interested in, not the absolute temperature. Although I would not recommend HWmonitor for Core ix chips at least, as it doesn't seem to provide consistent readings. I think it does a rolling average instead of doing what most programs do (which is IA32_TEMPERATURE_TARGET - DTS reading).

I haven't had any problems with Speedfan. HWMonitor still doesn't seem to have my Q6600 G0 set right because its consitent with the +10c temps.

The Q6600 G0 had a 10 lower TJMax than the B3 did and it seems most programs changed over except HWMonitor which is why I used both. Its strange that the HWMonitor had the same CPU temp which is the whole package reading as Speedfan but the individual cores was higher by exactally 10c which means it probably had the B3s specs in it with the 105TDP instead of the 95w TDP that Q6600s G0s have.
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2010 2:57:27 PM

randomizer said:

The problem is, at certain temps, the DTS can get "stuck". The reason to use RealTemp is due to the "Test Sensor" feature available. If the DTS gets stuck at some point, it can throw off temp readings by a significant amount which invalidates the results.
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2010 12:12:43 AM

It's usually easy to spot a stuck sensor without the cooldown test, but in any case it will almost always only affect idle temps, not load (although there are rare cases where it affects load as well).

Besides, if you have a stuck sensor no program is going to help you :) 
May 15, 2010 8:02:01 PM

Ok
I have a hitch when removeing my stock heatsink to apply the IC Dioamond, I noticed one of the retaing clips to the heatsink had failed at some point. It was loose and the black part fell into two pices when i unlocked it. I mannaged to get the heatsink back on not to loose to test the same heatsink with the IC Dioamond. Im showing 14degree diffirance in core temp with a 2degree diff in ambient but cant say how much the defective clip effected the results.
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2010 8:20:41 PM

Here is my first set of results, on user mattidallama's CPU and GPU. My own test results will take at least another week, as I still can't get reproducible temperatures from my new water cooling setup.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 940, overclocked to 3.6 GHz (200x18) with 1.4v. Cooler used is a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 120, with two 65CFm fans in push/pull. Method for applying thermal paste was two parallel lines 1/3 of the distance of the IHS on the CPU, and spaced 1/3 of the distance of the IHS apart.

GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB, overclocked to 790MHz core and 1020MHz memory. Cooling is the card's stock Vapor-X cooler, with fan forced at 60% at all times. Application method was a single BB sized dot on the GPU core.

Original compound on the CPU was Tuniq TX-2. On the GPU was Arctic Silver Ceramique, fully cured.

Ambient temperature for all tests is 24.5C (76F).
Idle temperatures were measured using SpeedFan for the CPU and GPU-z for the GPU, and taken after 15 minutes of idling at the Windows 7 desktop.

Load temperatures were measured using Prime95's Small FFT test for the CPU and Furmark's default testing for the GPU, measured again from Speedfan and GPU-z, respectively.

Temperature data:

CPU
Tuniq TX-2------------------IC Diamond
Idle: 38C-----------------Idle: 35C
Load: 67C-----------------Load: 61C

GPU
AS Ceramique--------------IC Diamond
Idle: 55C------------------Idle: 54C
Load: 84C------------------Load: 77C

CPU temperatures at idle and load were reduced 3C and 6C, respectively.
GPU temperatures at idle and load were reduced 1C and 7C, respectively.
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2010 9:20:58 PM

^Nice.

Anyways, from what I have seen the GPU seem to benefit the most from the IC Diamond.
May 15, 2010 11:30:33 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^Nice.

Anyways, from what I have seen the GPU seem to benefit the most from the IC Diamond.

Yeh, I still don't know if i want to remove the stock cooler though.....

Dangerous.
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2010 4:57:29 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^Nice.

It has a small particle size as does Arctic Silver Ceramique, so it should be better than AS5 especially on IHS-less GPUs. AS5 has particles up to 0.09 microns larger, and ceramique is around 0.02 microns smaller. Obviously the materials are totally different as well so particle size isn't everything.
May 16, 2010 2:18:33 PM

System Specs

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case
Phenom II X4 965 @ 3400MHz, 1.4V
Prolimatech Megahalems
2x 5870s

Pre-IC7
Compound: Arctic Silver 5
Abient Temp: 77
Idle Temp: 35
Load Temp: 49.5

IC7
Ambient Temp: 77
Idle Temp: 34
Load Temp: 47.8

Temperatures were reduced by ~1.7°C
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2010 7:58:57 PM

Test set up: Ambient was 81F (~27.2C). CPU and heat sink was lapped. The heat sink was a Xigmatek S963 with a Scythe Slipstream 100CFM 120mm. Intel E2180 @3.3Ghz with 1.5v (according to CPUZ) SpeedStep/EIST was Disabled.

AS 5 cured for ~ 1 year. System running 24 hrs. System was shut down only for about 5-10 minutes a week for updates.

Temps with Arctic Silver 5:
Idle: 38C
Load: 68C

Temps with IC Diamond:
Load: 66C

Results: IC Diamond was 2C cooler under load. There was no difference in idle temperatures.
May 17, 2010 5:41:06 AM

Results to date - Please Review Any errors or omissions on our part let us know and we will make the correction(s)

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 4:34:26 PM

Pre-IC7
Compound: Rosewill RCX-TC060, Thermal conductivity > 9.24W/mk
Abient Temp: 28.8c
Idle Temp: 41.0c
Load Temp: 51.0c

IC7
Ambient Temp: 28.8c
Idle Temp: 40.0c
Load Temp: 49.0c

Test was ran on a Phenom II 3x720 with 4th core unlocked at 3.0 ghz. Prior to any recording the inexpensive rosewill ($17.99) 90mm cooler fins were cleaned.
While the results are specific to the processor and not the cores which typically run 10-11 degrees cooler another inconsistancy arose affecting my results.
Both the chipset and PWM temperatures dropped, about 2 degrees each which led me to believe I had somehow altered the results. I therefore ran the test over a period of 3 days and all results remained consistant. I can't explain the change in chipset or pwm readings as I disturbed nothing which should have affected them.
Also the cooler uses a single rocker latch system which doesn't enable 50lbs of pressure, at best I would describe the fit as firm, I think my wife said that. Thanks for letting me participate.
PS didn't do the GPU as I don't have any thermal tape for the memory chips.
May 17, 2010 5:42:49 PM

Thanks people for taking the time to test - I have added a Observational Request to the intro so please take note

Observational Request - I would appreciate any observations on wear and tear from polishing on any laser etched lettering. Nobody has has complained for the last couple of years and this has not been my experience but a few isolated incidents of late have drawn our attention. Some thermal compounds are are by nature identical with polishing compounds, ceramic or oxide particles suspended in a fluid. I have anecdotal reports of compounds like Arctic Alumina which is a ceramic having the same kind of effect and believe it to be a non issue however being the manufacturer we would be remiss if we did not check it out.

Our position on it is that abrasives in order to work have to "move" and in the normal course of application and removal it is a non issue. When it becomes an issue seems to be in case of people doing frequent multiple installs and removals, perhaps overworking the compound such as what a reviewer would do when running multiple tests causing wear and tear most likely what you would see with most other compounds although with diamond it probably would happen faster. In any event depending on feedback we would put up an advisory on our site not to overwork the paste on installation and removal.

This is one reason we do these giveaways is to investigate things like this and improve use and application of our product.

May 17, 2010 6:09:51 PM

Well i have my E8600 i used for the test in my hand as ive installed my new cpu, i can see no sign of abrasion on it at all other than the factory finish. Its been installed 3 times once with IC Diamond.
Seems how my results wer more than likely effected by the issues i found with my old cooler would you like me to retest, but fresh application VS fresh application.
May 17, 2010 8:08:23 PM

Eithelwulf said:
Well i have my E8600 i used for the test in my hand as ive installed my new cpu, i can see no sign of abrasion on it at all other than the factory finish. Its been installed 3 times once with IC Diamond.
Seems how my results wer more than likely effected by the issues i found with my old cooler would you like me to retest, but fresh application VS fresh application.

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated.

By all means, the more data the better, we always appreciate more test data

Andrew
May 17, 2010 8:56:54 PM

ok even tho they are flawed by the cooler issue i mentioned here are the results
i used prine 95 to stress the cpu and CPUID hardware monitor for the temps.

Zalman Super thermal grease
Ambient Temp, 26c
Idle Temp Core 0, 40c
Idle Temp Core 1, 40c
Load Temp Core 0, 79c
Load Temp Core 1, 77c

IC Diamond
Ambient Temp, 24c
Idle Temp Core 0, 35c
Idle Temp Core 1, 35c
Load Temp Core 0, 65c
Load Temp Core 1, 64c

As you can see 5 degree drop at idle and a massive 14 degree drop at load on one core 13 on the other core.
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 9:01:02 PM

Yay, my tube showed up this morning, a day I just happened to have off. Game on~

PhII 965 X4 c3 stepping
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Push/Pull 90CFm CM LED 120mm x2.
Gigabyte GA-780G-UD3H AM2+ DDR2 Mobo

All tests done with CnQ and C1E disabled, using HWMonitor Pro for temp monitoring. For idle temps, no less than 15minutes of inaction after boot up with the lowest temp of the last 10mins before observation. Load temps Max recorded using P95 Small FFTs for no less than 1 hour. Central Air Conditioning/heating for a stable ambient temp of 24c, open case for the benches. The AS5 temps were recorded a few months ago after 3weeks cure time, the MX-2 and ICD24 were both recorded on the same day, the MX-2 a week after application and the ICD24 3 hours after application (2h of which was running P95 OC'd). I have a lot more data on the AS5, but trimmed the information that I didn't mirror in the time I had today.

Each TIM was applied with the same DHT razorblade method: gaps between heatpipes filled, excess removed with razorblade, one thin line on each heatpipe for about 1/2 the heatpipe length in the center, CPU cleaned and the HSF applied. I also let the ICD24 applied to my HSF sit in the air for about 10mins before installing onto my motherboard.

Ambient 24c for all tests

3.4ghz @ 1.312v

ICD24
Idle: 31c
Load: 45c

MX-2
Idle: 33c
Load: 45c

AS5
Idle: 31c
Load: 47c

3.6ghz @ 1.364v

ICD24
Idle: 33c
Load: 49c

MX-2
Idle: 35c
Load: 51c

AS5
Idle: 34c
Load: 54c

3.8ghz @ 1.408v

ICD24
Idle: 34c
Load: 54c

MX-2
Idle: 36c
Load: 55c

AS5
Idle: 35c
Load: 57c

On the DHT grove Razor method: I have gotten very consistent at applying TIM using this way, but ICD24 viscosity made it quite challenging. The first time I took too long, and it thickened up and I had to start over, due to it balling up when trying to remove the excess. I was quicker about it the second time, and it was far easier with an attention to swiftness. I like the temps I am getting, and feel pretty good about the product in my limited time so far, but the viscosity makes it a bit tougher to recommend for DHT HSF usage. It's not a deal breaker, but another slowpoke like myself may waste an application in learning not to dillydally while applying the product.

This is my first time using it, and won't be removing it until I replace the CPU most likely, so I haven't any experience with abrasion issues.
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 9:02:49 PM

Quote:

Observational Request - I would appreciate any observations on wear and tear from polishing on any laser etched lettering. Nobody has has complained for the last couple of years and this has not been my experience but a few isolated incidents of late have drawn our attention. Some thermal compounds are are by nature identical with polishing compounds, ceramic or oxide particles suspended in a fluid. I have anecdotal reports of compounds like Arctic Alumina which is a ceramic having the same kind of effect and believe it to be a non issue however being the manufacturer we would be remiss if we did not check it out.

Our position on it is that abrasives in order to work have to "move" and in the normal course of application and removal it is a non issue. When it becomes an issue seems to be in case of people doing frequent multiple installs and removals, perhaps overworking the compound such as what a reviewer would do when running multiple tests causing wear and tear most likely what you would see with most other compounds although with diamond it probably would happen faster. In any event depending on feedback we would put up an advisory on our site not to overwork the paste on installation and removal.

:lol:  Doesn't mater to some people who lap their CPUs/Heatsinks. Yes, it DOES VOID the warranty :p 
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 1:46:34 PM

More Results:

Test set up: AMD Phenom X6 1055T at 2.8Ghz (Stock). Ambient temp was ~24.4C(76F). The TX2 was cured for about a week. The CPU heatsink was Core Contact Freezer 120mm. CnQ enabled. Load testing done with OCCT.

Temp results for TX2:

Idle: 29C
Load: 45C

Temp results for IC Diamond:

Idle: 29C
Load: 42C

Results:

At load, the IC Diamond was 3C cooler than the TX2. At idle there was no difference in temps.
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 3:28:45 AM

NOTE: The structure of this is funny because it was originally a mini-review destined to go on frozentek.com. :) 

I'll make this review short and sweet, because nobody likes reading ridiculously long reviews.

Testing Procedure:
GPU: Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X
Clock speeds: 930 gpu/1360 memory
Fan speed: 50% fixed throughout all tests
Load test: MSI Kombustor @ 1280*1024/Xtreme Burning Mode/Post Processing/4xMSAA/OpenGL 3
Curing Time: No curing time was required for each thermal paste.

TIMs used:
-Stock Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X TIM
-Arctic Cooling MX-2
-Arctic Cooling MX-3
-Innovation Cooling IC24

Application Method:
Spread a paper-thin layer of TIM over the GPU die, then make contact with the heatsink.

IDLE test results:
(Temperatures measured after 2 minutes of idle time after startup)

1. STOCK------------------------------ 30C
  2. MX-2 ----------------------------- 29C
  3. MX-3 ----------------------------- 29C
  4. IC24 ----------------------------- 29C

LOAD test results:
(Temperatures measured after 5 minuts of load time with MSI Kombustor)

1. STOCK-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 74C
  2. MX-2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 72C
  3. MX-3 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 71.5C
  4. IC24 --------------------------------------------------------------------- 69.5C

Conclusion:
IC24 is our clear winner as far as temperatures. It should be noted that IC24 is thick and slightly difficult to apply, and a little harder to clean than the other thermal pastes. But it's performance is unparalleled compared to the other pastes, dropping a full 4.5 degrees from the stock paste and two degrees from Arctic Cooling MX-3.

At load, the IC Diamond was 4.5C cooler than the stock TIM and 2C cooler than MX-3. At idle there was no difference in temps save the 1C difference from the stock TIM.
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 3:38:41 AM

IC Diamond said:
Thanks people for taking the time to test - I have added a Observational Request to the intro so please take note

Observational Request - I would appreciate any observations on wear and tear from polishing on any laser etched lettering. In any event depending on feedback we would put up an advisory on our site not to overwork the paste on installation and removal.

I DID notice that after removing and applying the IC7 thermal paste, there were some fine surface scratches in my GPU die, but the laser-etched lettering certainly didn't disappear. Take it as a grain of salt, as the scratches were very, very shallow, and didn't affect the lettering at all. I'm pretty sure this happened because I press into the paste (as to make a seal with the die) when I remove it, so it comes off cleanly. This probably had some abrasion effect on the die.

But again, just take it as a grain of salt. Nothing serious at all, just surface scratches.

@builderbobftw, go for it. You'll thank yourself later when you repaste your GPU. Most modern coolers are easy to disassemble. The Vapor-X coolers typically only need four screws removed, for example. Plus, IC7 isn't electrically conductive (right? :\) so there's not too much to worry about save a bad application.

Just my $.02.

Cheers.
May 20, 2010 6:55:30 PM

Ok, got finished testing this TIM and i must say that im really impressed :) 

Used it on my Q6600 @ 3.3Ghz @ 1.31V with a Zalman CNPS9500AT CPU cooler (same settings for both TIM's) and i compared the IC Diamond 24 Carat to Stars DRG99 Thermal paste (white glue lol) and as i said i got impressive results IMO :) 

I put 100% load with Prime95 small FFTs and monitored my temps with RealTemp.

Ambient temp was about 25C.

Temps in Celsius:

Stars DRG99 idle:

Core 0: 40
Core 1: 39
Core 2: 37
Core 3: 37

Stars DRG99 load:

Core 0: 68
Core 1: 67
Core 2: 65
Core 3: 65

Now lets see by how much the IC Diamond raped the "white glue" ;) 

IC Diamond 24 Carat idle:

Core 0: 39
Core 1: 38
Core 2: 37
Core 3: 36

IC Diamond 24 Carat load:

Core 0: 61
Core 1: 60
Core 2: 59
Core 3: 59

Well on idle the IC Diamond beat it by about 1C avg but on load it raped it by a massive avg of 7C! :) 

Both TIM's were applied and tested on the same evening.

I must say (again) that im very impressed with this product and im probably gonna buy it in the future if i can find it in finland ;) 

thx for letting me test this product IC, you have done a great job! :D 
May 20, 2010 11:15:42 PM

System tested Core i5 750 stock, Prolimatech Megahalem with 2 Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-14

I'm reporting average temps of the 4 cores using Real Temp in Celsius:

Pre-IC7
Compound: Prolimatech PK-1
Abient Temp: 20
Idle Temp: 24
Load Temp: 51.5

IC7
Ambient Temp: 20
Idle Temp: 24
Load Temp: 51

Idle: no change
Load: -0.5C

Well, I am slightly disappointed although an improvement is an improvement. I wonder though, if it may be partly due to I was already running pretty cool and I've read that temps below 50 aren't that accurate to begin with and at load I was around 50 or higher on the cores. I may get around to retesting once I start overclocking this system.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2010 1:59:09 AM

^ Post it in the US Forum. Currently, that post is in the UK Forum. I don't read the UK Forum.
May 21, 2010 2:02:24 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ Post it in the US Forum. Currently, that post is in the UK Forum. I don't read the UK Forum.

how i post in us forum? i dont see where to change from uk and didnt know i could
*After thought* Pm me the answer dont want to hog posts here
Scratch that i see how to do little arrow next to uk flag bring up others see you there
Edit #3 hummm nope that dint work end up back in same place what ever flag i click, just in a new window :(  even tryed change addy from .co.uk to .com but get redir
May 21, 2010 10:42:50 AM

well, now i have tried it on my XFX 5850 XXX edition too :)  i couldnt resist after the nice results with the CPU temps :D 

5850 was at stock settings with a constant 35% fan (reference cooler), i put 100% load on the GPU with MSI kombustor (same as furmark i think) with 1280x1024, 8xAA and Xtreme burning mode. Temperatures were monitored with MSI Afterburner.

this test was between the 5850 stock paste and IC Diamond 24 Carat. Ambient was about 23C, ok lets begin ;) 

5850 stock paste idle: 38C

5850 stock paste load: 75C

lets rape the stock paste shall we :D 

IC Diamond on 5850 idle: 35C

IC Diamond on 5850 load: 67C

as you can see the IC Diamond wins with 3C at idle and a massive 8C! at load:) 

well, well what do you guys think? pretty nice results yes? :D 

thx and great job again IC :D 

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2010 2:14:30 AM

Video Cards:
GPU1: Sapphire 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB, Bottom Card
GPU2: Sapphire 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB, Top Card

Testing Conditions Idle:
Windows Desktop 30 minutes
Minimum Temp

Testing Conditions Load:
Furmark Multi-GPU 30 Minutes
Maximum Temp
Resolution: 1280x720
Xtreme Burning Mode
Displacement Mapping
Post FX
8x MSAA

Results:
Compound: Stock
Ambient: 26C
Idle GPU1 Temp: 46C
Idle GPU2 Temp: 54C
Load GPU1 Temp: 78C
Load GPU2 Temp: 85C

Compound: IC7
Ambient: 26C
Idle GPU1 Temp: 45C
Idle GPU2 Temp: 52C
Load GPU1 Temp: 73C
Load GPU2 Temp: 82C
May 22, 2010 5:26:17 AM

Updated results tally in the first post-any corrections or errors let me know

also added

Added 5/22 - Cure Time- Cure Time averages 2 hours for 1-2 C improvement in most situations for sinks with adequate pressure loading with maybe .5C more overnight.

Lightly pressure loaded sinks may take a day or more depending on the amount of pressure
May 23, 2010 6:01:02 AM

Mine was -0.5C, not -0.05C. Still not great but definitely better than that heh!
May 25, 2010 2:39:59 AM

letsrahk said:
Mine was -0.5C, not -0.05C. Still not great but definitely better than that heh!

Noted and updated on my spreadsheet and will show up on the next update
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2010 3:49:23 AM

^^Cool. :) 

@IC Diamond, Since you updated the curing time, I'll see if I can do a retest in the next few days because the ICD is still on my GPU. :) 

I just noticed I'm on the CPU list, I belong on the GPU list... Sorry about that. :( 
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2010 7:43:26 PM

Sorry for the bit of delay in posting results (been pretty busy and wanted to ensure testing was conducted properly)

OPTIONAL INFO: PROCESSOR : Phenom II X3 720 4th Core unlocked , VOLTS/CLOCKS : 3.214Ghz. @ 1.312V , HEATSINK/COOLING USED : CoolerMaster TX3 with 2 92mm Fans in push\pull - 1 Front 120mm intake, 1-rear 120mm Exhaust, side panel left with no fan but open grill for 120mm fan, Sapphire 5770 with egg shape cooler and 1\2 slot open exhaust on back panel.

Pre-IC7
Compound: Cooler Master Stock Paste included with TX3
Abient Temp: 26.6C (80F)
Idle Temp: 39.0C (102F)
Load Temp: 59.0C (138F)

IC7
Ambient Temp: 26.6C (80F)
Idle Temp: 36.0C (97F)
Load Temp: 55.0C (131F)

Ambient temp is room Temp reported by digital thermostat in the room
Load Temps are after 1 hour Prime 95 small FFT's while test was still running
Idle Temps are after 30 minute cool down after running Prime95 test
Temps are as reported using Gigabyte's Easytune6 HW Monitor (CPU temperature)

So with the IC diamond paste the temps were improved approx 3C at idle and 4C under prime95 over the cooler master thermal paste.
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2010 8:46:13 PM

Cool...I will soon repaste my cpu when I get some time and I'll put the results here...
I got my gpu repasted but detailed results we be posted here later...
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2010 10:35:58 AM

Ok , Here's what My system looked like before the stress tests and after 3 hours of running it, with the standard TP which came with my Board.
Before beginning the stress test with Prime95

After 3 Hours

I must tell you that the ambient temp of the room that I work in is 45Deg C...... a very hot environment.
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2010 12:09:11 AM

My AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE @ Stock w/Rosewill z5 Heatsink
Pre-IC7
Compound: Stock Compound
Abient Temp: 26 C
Idle Temp: 34 C
Load Temp: 42 C

IC7
Ambient Temp: 26 C
Idle Temp: 32 C
Load Temp: 35 C

I am amazed, simply amazed at the difference a simple thing such as thermal compound can make. Thank you Andrew, President of IC for providing this wake up call.

Edit: Typo fixed
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2010 1:46:39 AM

^ You can't go below ambient temps (as in you can't have a 22C Idle temp). You messed up, probably 32C I'm guessing :p .
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2010 2:33:49 AM

Woops, gotta hate typos!
May 29, 2010 12:41:45 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^ You can't go below ambient temps (as in you can't have a 22C Idle temp). You messed up, probably 32C I'm guessing :p .

You can with a aquiarium chiller :) 
a c 78 à CPUs
May 29, 2010 9:33:58 PM

All results are at an ambient temp of 24C after 1 hour of Prime95 Small FFT using Real Temp to monitor my i7 920 @ 3.4 GHz

AS5: (Pre-IC Diamond)
Load: 68C

IC Diamond
Idle: 34C
Load: 62C
    • 1 / 6
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!