My moniter says out of frequency range and wont allow me to get anywhere else on

SSUUEET

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

hi thank you for your help. for some reason it wont show me the safe mode screen while rebooting. and the strange thing is I tried another moniter and Im getting the same result. Any other suggestions Thanks Sue

It can be hard to go into Safe Mode, but try this: Boot up, wait 10-15 seconds, then hard power off the system. That should trick XP into thinking it locked up during the last boot and automatically offer you Safe Mode.

If that still does not work after a couple of tries, then your video card may have failed.

SSUUEET

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Im self taught, so Im really kind of naive when it comes to all of this. When you say hard power off the system, Does that men unplug? and (really Dumb) whats a video card and can I get a new one? Thanks again fror your help, I really need it. Sue

Yes, pulling the power cord is one way, or holding the power button in until it shuts down is another.

Depending on your system, the video card might be an actual card you can replace, or it might be built onto your motherboard. Either way, you will need to purchase a new card, remove the old one (if it is a card), and then install the new one.