Sign in with
Your question

Dell dimension c521 compatibility

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2010 5:25:35 PM

i have just moved and had to leave my old custom comp behind :'(  but a friend of mine gave me a dell dimension c521 which i glady accepted. upon further inspection i realized that it just wasnt going to be enough for me the way it is. so i was wondering if someone could please tell me if all these parts are compatible without changing the power supply (impossible to find bigger slim one and dont want an external) ok so heres the list: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (graphics card) , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (processor) , http://www.directron.com/kvr533d2n4k22g.html (ram) Thank you for looking and ill be looking forward to your respones.
March 5, 2010 5:42:00 PM

Oh and i know the graphics card says that it needs a minimum of 350w and that my current power supply is only 280w but i have read that dell really understates their power supplys and that alot of graphics cards overstate what they really need. ive heard of this card being successful in this comp but i would rather get it verified by everyone here before i go out and buy it. :p 
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2010 5:50:07 PM

Well, you've read wrong. Dell puts the bare minimum in their PCs in the parts that aren't visible (PSU, motherboard, RAM, HDDs). GPU do overstate their minimum requirements, but it's still a bad idea to go lower.

Here's the problem with trying to upgrade a Dell (or any prebuilt): proprietary parts. Some/many parts the prebuilt companies use have a special design to them so that it makes it impossible to upgrade using standard parts. In addition, you cannot find out the exact model or specs easily, creating compatibility issues with your new parts. I would highly recommed you start saving up for a new build, as there won't be much you can do with an old Dell.
March 5, 2010 6:38:24 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Well, you've read wrong. Dell puts the bare minimum in their PCs in the parts that aren't visible (PSU, motherboard, RAM, HDDs). GPU do overstate their minimum requirements, but it's still a bad idea to go lower.

Here's the problem with trying to upgrade a Dell (or any prebuilt): proprietary parts. Some/many parts the prebuilt companies use have a special design to them so that it makes it impossible to upgrade using standard parts. In addition, you cannot find out the exact model or specs easily, creating compatibility issues with your new parts. I would highly recommed you start saving up for a new build, as there won't be much you can do with an old Dell.

ehk not really what i wanted to hear but your right. money isnt really an issue i just wanted to mod this dell to rub it in my friends face that i made a dell decent lol idk ill probably end up bulding a new one eventually. just gonna see the limits to what i can push this one first. ill prolly just use an external power supply as much as id hate to haha
!