Online Custom Vendors

felhound275

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hello, I currently have an old desktop that a bought from Ibuypower some years ago, and I got lucky I guess as I have had no problems at all(knock on wood). But anyways, I was wondering if there are any online custom builders around now that are reliable but don't cost an arm and a leg.

Thank you

You're not going to find them here. This section is for people who build their own PCs. Everyone here is going to tell you to do it yourself and save a boatload of cash. Not to mention ensure you get exactly what you need and get the highest quality parts...

If you were to build it yourself, you'd be able to get:

CPU/Mobo: X4 955 and Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H $280
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
Case: HAF 922 $90
PSU: Corsair 750W $90 after rebate
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $25
GPU: HD 5870 $380

Total: $1,140. This build would be able to play every game out right now with max details at 1080p resolutions. In addition, the build is very future proof, as it has the newest AMD chipset (890), which is guaranteed to support the upcoming six core CPUs (which doesn't really matter right now for gaming) and has USB 3/SATA II support.

felhound275

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Thank you very much but do you think it is possible to get a build in price range built around an intel chip? maybe I should just make a proper topic for this. Thanks for all your help!

@duk: The difference is the voltage. That's it.

It's not possible to get as good of a build for gaming at that budget using Intel. A good Intel gaming CPU, and the only one I would recommend stepping up to, would make the build cost another $110 over that price. There is no advantage to using an Intel CPU. AMD provides extremely good performance at a much lower price. Besides, a CPU doesn't really affect gaming performance.

In order to get an Intel CPU, you would have to drop to an HD 5850. That means a lot lower gaming performance, traded for nothing buy a name.

I fixed the link for the GPU.

felhound275

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
While it may be true that the cpu does not affect gaming as much it does affect other things such as running programs like sibelius with a full orchestra loaded, but like I said we can just close this thread as I will make a proper one later. Thanks anyways!