Charlie does it again!

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I don't know if this was posted before but here it goes:
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/20/semiaccurate-gets-some-gtx480-scores/

Getting back to the selective showings of the GTX480, there is a good reason for it. The performance is too close to the HD5870, so Nvidia will be forced to sell it at HD5870 prices, basically $400. The GPU isn't a money maker at this price point, and at best, Nvidia can price it between the $400 HD5870 and the $600 HD5970. The only tools left to deal with this issue are PR and marketing as the chip is currently in production.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

I like this comment:
My Wife Left Me

Reviewed By on 2/21/2010 12:00:00 AM
Tech Level: High understanding - Ownership: 1 week - 1 month
Pros: Packaging was pretty nice. Came with a free copy of Metro 2033 and Bioshock 2.

Cons: I came home 2 days after installing into my computer, and found my wife packing her bags, saying she was moving out and taking the GTX480 with her. She said it pleases her in more ways than I would ever know. She packed her bags and took the kids.

Other Thoughts: The house is empty.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

:sol: Yeah, and now that card is ONLY 5% faster than the 5870 :na:
The thing that makes me laugh is the 70C at 70% fan speed idle. I don't think nVidia is that f##ked up to release something like that.

I think he said that the GTX470 will have 448 SP's and the GTX480 will have 512 SP's

The price reminds me of the 8800GTX 769MB from four years ago, which as some people may recall did not end up sending Nvidia down the toilet but did spawn a rather useful second generation of cards that people are still using today. It's going to be interesting to see what the independent (and less biased) sites bench these cards at.

So why do both cards show as 512 SP's?

jibbermitch

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

Could it be wrong by any chance??!!?? No final specs have been released to anyone so how would they know? MM, are you saying you have confidence that the information on that website is accurate? If so, how, why do you and if not, why are you quoting it as part of your argument?
Cheers :)

Like Charlie I may have an 'Anonymous' source. ;)

jibbermitch

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
unlike Charlie, I can call you out though :) I'm not asking that you reveal your 'Annoymous' source, just give credit to your counter argument. You are doubting one unconfirmed source by offering an argument based on information from a different unconfirmed source. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

jibbermitch

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
LOL - glad you see the funny side, I just wanted to make sure others who read your post know it's a joke! I'm not saying it's wrong or right btw and I'm certainly not trying to stick up for Charlie's reporting style. I like facts, hopefully we will have some later today!!!! :)

A Turkish site has them at 680 Turkish bucks which I think is about 450 US bucks so if you lose 50 bucks for the 'outside of the US markup' then you could be looking at 400 dollars for the GTX480, bang in line with a 5870.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

It really worries me that the launch prices are that low (Edit: worry is not the right word... shocks and fills me with pessimism... I'll be very excited if these perform liek they have been mentioned at those prices)... Can anyone give an example of a company releasing a halo product drastically under the current price/performance out there?

I suppose we will find out for sure if those are the prices in the next few hours (if they talk about them at that announcement after all).. but if it really is close to 400 it seems to indicate it performs at only that price point, or there will be so few of them ever made that the price doesn't matter a lick to Nvidia.. either one sounds not so good...But hey, maybe they all of a sudden thought they would halve the current high end price/performance out there?

Those are some numbers I've seen being bandied about at the moment but obviously none have been officially confirmed (or denied), if true however it still doesn't mean jack unless you can actually buy one, if they are constantly 'out of stock' they may as well be priced at $2.50.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
If the price is that low as others have said, I don't think we will be in for good news. Being that the 5870 is here for awhile maybe nVidia tries to compete directly with it on performance and price. If the new cards are going to cost only 400$ and if the rumors about wattage and heat generated are true the only way nVidia is going to distract us from their issues with this generation is to provide a drastic increase in performance.

notty22

Distinguished
This is just RICH, we have the ati fans(obviously) using the expensive blah, blah,blah in one argument, now they are quickly switching to , "this must be bad" if the price is VERY competitive. LOL ---Maybe it was Charlie 'joking' all along, out of some kind of jealousy?

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Well it is not like we know nVidia to be in the price/performance market do we?

notty22

Distinguished

'lately' they haven't been second best. Timing wise they obviously are. IMO, I didn't need to see a product XX% better than anything ATI had, I figure best case scenario, its competitive with a different architecture. Thats not always guaranteed. So this looks like a consumers win, if those prices are for something that at least performs as well as the 'red' team.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Yes customer win, but not nVidia win. The cost of producing a Fermi card is most likely bigger than the cost of producing a 5870. If nVidia comes up with a competitive product to put against the 5870 the problem will be that ATI can reduce the prices much lower than nVidia. This is why this move is questionable.

notty22

Distinguished
When Nvidia's stock is going up Nvidia is winning, when AMD/ati stock is sliding they are losing. Vice.verse, if you have internal documents that say other, show us. Some brokers have a 'buy' on Nvidia because Fermi is going to be a 'win'.