Moving current XP Pro configuration to new computer

Hi all,

I've got a developers computer.
Which I've been developing on for the last 3 years.

So I've got the desktop and heaps of software already setup to my liking.

I've just invested in a faster computer with a larger hard drive.

I'd like to transfer my current XP Pro setup/configurations to the new
computer.

I'll use my current developers computer for exchange server or something
else later.
So I DON'T want to remove the hard drive and use it as a primary in the new
computer.

Can this be done?

Thanks,
baz
5 answers Last reply
More about moving current configuration computer

    Use your preferred partition imaging application (I assume you
    have such a product; I can't imagine using a machine for development
    without having a quick way to recover from the occasional mistake.) to
    clone an image of your current installation onto the hard drive of the
    new computer, and then perform a repair installation.

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
    and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
    before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
    (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
    one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
    need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
    the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
    point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
    OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
    picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
    style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
    before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
    accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
    installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
    is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
    more stable than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
    than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
    you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
    problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
    call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Barry G. Sumpter" <barrysum@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a developers computer.
    > Which I've been developing on for the last 3 years.
    >
    > So I've got the desktop and heaps of software already setup to my
    > liking.
    >
    > I've just invested in a faster computer with a larger hard drive.
    >
    > I'd like to transfer my current XP Pro setup/configurations to the
    > new computer.
    >
    > I'll use my current developers computer for exchange server or
    > something else later.
    > So I DON'T want to remove the hard drive and use it as a primary in
    > the new computer.
    >
    > Can this be done?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > baz

    Thanks for the expanded reply.

    Could have sworn I moved an XP system hard drive to another computer and
    booted successfully with only a few "found new hardware issues".

    A colleague said he had read something somewhere telling him how to do what
    I ask but like all reference material its hard to remember where it was.

    Thanks anyway.

    If I find a solution I'll post it.

    baz

> [...]
    > call.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH
    >
    > "Barry G. Sumpter" <barrysum@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I've got a developers computer.
    >> Which I've been developing on for the last 3 years.
    >>
    >> So I've got the desktop and heaps of software already setup to my liking.
    >>
    >> I've just invested in a faster computer with a larger hard drive.
    >>
    >> I'd like to transfer my current XP Pro setup/configurations to the new
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> I'll use my current developers computer for exchange server or something
    >> else later.
    >> So I DON'T want to remove the hard drive and use it as a primary in the

    You're welcome.

    That might work if the two motherboards happened to have used two
    similar chipsets from the same manufacturer. Most times, you won't be
    so lucky.

    --

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:15:45 +1100, Barry G. Sumpter wrote:

    > A colleague said he had read something somewhere telling him how to do what
    > I ask but like all reference material its hard to remember where it was.

    What your friend might have been referring to: With Win9x, you could delete
    the enumeration keys in the registry. On first boot with the new system,
    the keys would be recreated for the hardware on the new machine. I liked
    having the Windows CD in the drive while this took place. If different
    drivers were needed, they got picked up smoothly. Most of them anyhow.

    The same technique does *NOT* work in XP. Bruce has already explained the
    needed procedure.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    I got heaps of luck.

    All bad. ;)

    I must have gotten lucky and didn't even realize it!

    I hate it when that happens.

    baz

    > You're welcome.
    >
    > That might work if the two motherboards happened to have used two
    > similar chipsets from the same manufacturer. Most times, you won't be so
    > lucky.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH
    >
    > "Barry G. Sumpter" <barrysum@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the expanded reply.
    >>
    >> Could have sworn I moved an XP system hard drive to another computer and
    >> booted successfully with only a few "found new hardware issues".
    >>
    >> A colleague said he had read something somewhere telling him how to do
    >> what I ask but like all reference material its hard to remember where it
    >> was.
    >>
    >> Thanks anyway.
    >>
    >> If I find a solution I'll post it.
    >>
    >> baz