Sign in with
Your question

Is clean install required for New build/previous win 7 install?

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2010 6:29:10 PM

I am upgrading from a gigabyte ep45-ud3p mothherboard running win 7 64 ultimate and a q6600. I just did a clean install about 2 months ago on a 1 TB drive partitioned with 200mb for system. Everything is running great.

I am upgrading this weekend to a Gigabyte P55A-Ud4p with a i7 860. I know the preferred way to perform upgrade would be to do another clean install, but I am hoping this can be possibly avoided.

What can i expect if i just re-connect the drive to the new set up and boot it up? Does it make a difference or help that they are both gigabyte boards? will windows 7 figure out all the system drivers efficiently? I would like to avoid the whole backup/install/restore process if possible.

Thanks for your advice on this.
March 5, 2010 6:54:09 PM

Another big factor is if the copy is a full retail version of an OEM version. If it's OEM, you not only will need to do a reinstall, you will need to buy a new copy/license.
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2010 7:03:37 PM

OwinC said:
Sometimes you can just swap out motherboards and it would work. Other times that will not be the option. This should help you out. http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=...

Pretty good link. Most of the threads were from 2005 so i am still a little curious if windows 7 will handle this better. I do have a retail copy of 7 ultimate. I probably will back up everything i need as usual, then try and load it and see how it goes. first.
m
l
March 12, 2010 5:31:59 PM

I backed up everything just in case and installed new mb and cpu. I did remove drivers for any hardware that I could from device manager. Some of the older posts recommended doing a windows repair but i just let it boot normally. Everything installed perfectly and without a hitch. I do believe keeping within higher end gigabyte boards did make this simpler.

upgraded ed45-up3r to newer p55a-ud4p.

thanks for the feedback everyone
m
l
!