Is clean install required for New build/previous win 7 install?

I am upgrading from a gigabyte ep45-ud3p mothherboard running win 7 64 ultimate and a q6600. I just did a clean install about 2 months ago on a 1 TB drive partitioned with 200mb for system. Everything is running great.

I am upgrading this weekend to a Gigabyte P55A-Ud4p with a i7 860. I know the preferred way to perform upgrade would be to do another clean install, but I am hoping this can be possibly avoided.

What can i expect if i just re-connect the drive to the new set up and boot it up? Does it make a difference or help that they are both gigabyte boards? will windows 7 figure out all the system drivers efficiently? I would like to avoid the whole backup/install/restore process if possible.

Thanks for your advice on this.
4 answers Last reply
More about clean install required build previous install
  1. Sometimes you can just swap out motherboards and it would work. Other times that will not be the option. This should help you out. http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=41725
  2. Another big factor is if the copy is a full retail version of an OEM version. If it's OEM, you not only will need to do a reinstall, you will need to buy a new copy/license.
  3. OwinC said:
    Sometimes you can just swap out motherboards and it would work. Other times that will not be the option. This should help you out. http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=41725

Pretty good link. Most of the threads were from 2005 so i am still a little curious if windows 7 will handle this better. I do have a retail copy of 7 ultimate. I probably will back up everything i need as usual, then try and load it and see how it goes. first.
  4. I backed up everything just in case and installed new mb and cpu. I did remove drivers for any hardware that I could from device manager. Some of the older posts recommended doing a windows repair but i just let it boot normally. Everything installed perfectly and without a hitch. I do believe keeping within higher end gigabyte boards did make this simpler.

upgraded ed45-up3r to newer p55a-ud4p.

thanks for the feedback everyone
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Clean Install Gigabyte New Build Systems