Sign in with
Your question

GA-EX58-UD5 power issue

Last response: in Components
May 13, 2010 1:56:55 AM

I am having a problem with a beep code on my custom build that I can not figure out. I am hoping someone can help me figure out what is going on. I am fairly capable of working on PCs and doing my own upgrades, however, I am not an expert by any means.

First my setup:
Case: Apevia MX-TelStar-NW-BK Steel ATX Full Tower
Power Supply: BFG 1200 Watts ATX Model BFGR1200WEXPSU
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard. BIOS version F12 (most current). Default BIOS settings (no OCing)
Processor: Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CoolIt DM-1000 Domino A.L.C. CPU Cooler
Memory: 2 x OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK
Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-N981-TR Geforce 9800 GT 1GB PCI Express x16 (2.0v) Video Card Retail
Optical(s): 1 x LG 22X DVD +/- R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30
1 x LG Black 8X Blu-ray Burner SATA Model WH08LS20K
HDD(s): 1 x Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFSRTL 300 GB 10,000 RPM SATA 16MB Cache SATA 3.0 Gb/s
4 x Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EADS 1.5TB SATA 3.0 Gb/s
1 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0 Gb/s
OS: MICROSOFT GLC-00736 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Full Version DVD Software Bulk
Monitor(s): 2 x Samsung T260HD - 25.5" Monitor w/ Built-In HDTV Tuner; 10,000:1 (DC), 5ms, HDMI; Touch of Color Series
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Black 104 Normal Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - Performance Mouse MX - Black Model: 910-001105
Speakers: Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speakers

My problem:
When I power on the PC, I get a beep code. It is 49 or 50 short quick beeps. Once it stops beeping, it will then continue to boot up as normal without any issues and everything works just fine.

When I refer to the owners manual for this, it says "Power error".

Another thing I noticed in the manual was the mention of 2x4 12v connection when using the Extreme Edition CPU.
"Use of a power supply providing a 2x4 12V power connector is recommended by the
CPU manufacturer when using an Intel Extreme Edition CPU (130W)."

Does my current power supply have this? My power supply has two (2) cables coming out of the main box. Once has a 4 pin and an 8 pin connector. The other cable has two (2) 4 pin connector. I currently have the second cable connected to the MoBo. Should I use both cables or just the one currently in place?

I have eliminated the GPU and RAM so I know they are not causing the issues.
I removed all of the RAM expect just two (2) sticks. Then I swapped out those two with a different set. No matter what I did, I was still getting the beeps.
I also removed my current video card and put in an older one that I had and still same thing.

I am trying to figure out how to solve this beep code issue. The only reason I want to resolve this issue is due to the fear that I might be damaging something without even knowing it. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

More about : ex58 ud5 power issue

a b ) Power supply
May 13, 2010 3:08:57 AM

You should connect the 8-pin power lead from the PSU to the 8-pin CPU power connector located near the upper left corner of the motherboard. The pins can only be inserted the correct way - when you look at it you'll see the 8-pin board connection has different socket shapes. If the components are good, the beeps will stop and it'll POST pretty quickly. BTW: Nice rig.
May 18, 2010 12:59:45 PM

Tree,
Thanks for the advice. After trying several things over the past few days, I finally have figured out the cause of this beep code. It is my CPU cooler.

This particular item has a 3 pin power connector. I had it connected to the CPU Fan pins on the MoBo (in the last three with the connector key matching the pins). This was, for some reason, causing the "Power Issue" reported by the beep codes. Last night I unhooked it from the CPU Fan pins and moved it to a normal three (3) pin SYS FAN connector located next to the SATA connectors.

My question now is will this hurt anything being connected to the SYS FAN pins?

After I moved the cable to these PINS, I no longer got the beep code and the CoolIt CPU Cooler appears to be working just fine. I let the rig run for about an hour last night and didn't notice any issues, temperature spikes, or cooling problems.
Related resources
May 27, 2010 6:47:49 PM

treefrog07 said:
You should connect the 8-pin power lead from the PSU to the 8-pin CPU power connector located near the upper left corner of the motherboard. The pins can only be inserted the correct way - when you look at it you'll see the 8-pin board connection has different socket shapes. If the components are good, the beeps will stop and it'll POST pretty quickly. BTW: Nice rig.

Tree,
Thanks for the advice. After trying several things over the past few days, I finally have figured out the cause of this beep code. It is my CPU cooler.

This particular item has a 3 pin power connector. I had it connected to the CPU Fan pins on the MoBo (in the last three with the connector key matching the pins). This was, for some reason, causing the "Power Issue" reported by the beep codes. Last night I unhooked it from the CPU Fan pins and moved it to a normal three (3) pin SYS FAN connector located next to the SATA connectors.

My question now is will this hurt anything being connected to the SYS FAN pins?

After I moved the cable to these PINS, I no longer got the beep code and the CoolIt CPU Cooler appears to be working just fine. I let the rig run for about an hour last night and didn't notice any issues, temperature spikes, or cooling problems.
July 8, 2010 5:43:05 PM

I too have done this. I was wondering if it would hurt anything also.
!