• Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 31, 2012 3:59:58 PM

My computer specs:
Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU E2180
2 GB Ram memory
Windows 8 64 bit

Hi guys, i really need your help cause i don't know anything about overclocking

I want to overclock my CPU and GPU, but when i enter my BIOS there are no options that i've seen on google, i have to choose between manual, auto and overclocking profile (5% 10% 15% 20% 25%)...i tried overclocking profile on 20% and my CPU clock goes from 2.0GHZ to 2.42 GHZ, after that i ran stability test (prime 95) and everything is ok, temperatures are below 60 C.all i can see is that BUS is now 230 MHZ and before overclocking was 200 MHZ (via OCCT).Is it safe to use computer this way ? Is there better way to do overclocking?

Second problem is with my video card :
Catalyst Control Center -> Performance -> AMD OverDrive
GPU clock : 625 MHZ
Memory clock : 550 MHZ

Problem comes when i move the slider for overclocking, i raised GPU at 650 MHZ and memory at 600 MHZ and after that windows crashes , and after reboot i have some strange horizontal lines over my screen and some parts of screen are blinking, when i return values on default i still have the same problem until driver reinstall...

Why is this happening? Is it maybe becuse i have cheap 450 W power source and there is no enough power or what ?or maybe because i am using computer on TV via HDMI cable, i don't have regular monitor so my resolution is always 1920 X 1080?

Please help

More about : intel pentuim e2180 radeon 6460 overclocking

December 31, 2012 4:13:35 PM

450W with a sandy bridge pentium and that graphics SHOULD be ok, unless that ps is super cheap and it isn't putting out nearly the power as it should be. Shouldn't have anything do to with ur tv either, my tower is hooked up the same way. If your computer is stable running with a BCLK that high and the temps are ok then go for it, but overclocking via BLCK (which is your only option for OCing with that CPU) runs EVERYTHING is your computer faster, including your graphics card, so that is probably causing your lines. Most systems wont tolerate increasing the BCLK more than a few ticks above stock. My i3-2120 won't go higher than 104 vs 100 stock with good internals. i also have a 450W ps but its 80+ certified.

Also get more RAM asap son!
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2012 4:14:14 PM

hello... That's how common overclocking works... or don't work... LOL.

you are raising the FSB speed which will affect both the memory and Cpu timing/speed/Clock... with proper cooling it can be done.

like i said before... the same will apply to your video card... but your video card is overheating at the 650 setting... use a lower one.
Related resources
December 31, 2012 4:40:22 PM

thanks for your help, i decided not to overclock GPU.

One more question,

when i enter BIOS and choose Manual overclock, i get these settings

CPU frequency : Auto/ or between 133 to 600 Mhz
DRAM frequency : Auto/667/800 Mhz
Memory over voltage : Auto/between 1.85 - 2.24
1.25 V over voltage : Auto / 1.25 / 1.4 V
VTT Cpu over voltage : Auto / 1.2 / 1.3
1.5 over voltage : Auto / 1.5/ 1.6
V core over voltage : Auto/+50mv/+100mv/+150mw

Everthing is on Auto now, should i change these settings or just leave it on Auto ?
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2012 4:59:22 PM

hello ... if plan to over clock the CPU frequency... start at 200 and go up...
all else on auto at this time... your Dram frequency is your ram... and it will change as you change the CPU freqency... they are tied together on your motherboard... thus alot of times your CPU can handle more overclocking but your Ram memory will not have as much room to go faster... Sometimes you can hold it down with the Dram frequency settings...

But actual performance can vary from motherboard to motherboard... how well they overclock.